E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mercedes cable to connect Samsung Galaxy s8?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
Mercedes cable to connect Samsung Galaxy s8?

Hey guys -

I have a 2013 CLS63, but visibility in this forum is far greater than the CLS one.

The Bluetooth audio connection in these cars is horrible for streaming music and I'm looking for the cable to connect my Samsung Galaxy s8. I had an iPhone 6 and purchased the Mercedes lightning adapter and it worked great, but it doesn't look like Mercedes makes one for the Samsung Galaxy s8 (USB-C connection).

What are you guys using?

Just to confirm, the standard USB input doesnt work for this correct? When I plug in the USB-C cable and select the USB input there is no playback (charging works).

Thanks for your help.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 E350 Sedan (Base model)
I think you might have two options. Both of which involve the official Mercedes Media Interface Cable for your CLS.

First option would be to get the MIC that has a micro USB connector. Then use the micro USB adapter that came with your S8 to convert that plug into a UBC C connector.

The other option might be to get the MIC that has a standard analog audio plug. Unlike the iPhone the S8 has retained the audio plug, and you could plug that into your phone and connect it to your car.

And, yeah, whenever I plug my S8 into the USB port in my 2012 E350, I get charging but no ability to access anything on my phone. The reason is that the logic in the car's computer does not have the ability to read the phone mounted as a disk.

Last edited by ratthing; 09-23-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
---
This is the perfect answer and really sums everything up. My car originally came with the 30-pin iPod adapter along with the analog input (headphone jack), but I think I'll opt for the micro USB MMI cable and use the micro USB to USB-C adapter that came with the phone, as you suggested. Thanks again for your help.

***BEWARE*** I almost bought a lightning to USB-C adapter (eBay) to just utilize the lightning cable that I already have, but the fine print indicates that they DO NOT support audio (only charging).

Originally Posted by ratthing
I think you might have two options. Both of which involve the official Mercedes Media Interface Cable for your CLS.

First option would be to get the MIC that has a micro USB connector. Then use the micro USB adapter that came with your S8 to convert that plug into a UBC C connector.

The other option might be to get the MIC that has a standard analog audio plug. Unlike the iPhone the S8 has retained the audio plug, and you could plug that into your phone and connect it to your car.

And, yeah, whenever I plug my S8 into the USB port in my 2012 E350, I get charging but no ability to access anything on my phone. The reason is that the logic in the car's computer does not have the ability to read the phone mounted as a disk.