Blind Spot Assist

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Blind Spot Assist

Hello
I recently purchased a 2015 E350. The blind spot assist was inoperable when I bought it. Dealer replaced left and right senors and wiring harness due to corrosion, under warranty.
My question is: Is it working right?
When I drive on a 3 lane highway in the middle lane and someone approaches on the left it signals, or when on right it signals. That is how I would expect it to work.
BUT- when I'm in the right lane and there is a 10 to 12 foot shoulder and maybe a guardrail or bushes and signs, the right side indicator is ON red all the time. Even on residential streets with sidewalks, bushes and stop signs. The right side indicator is ON all the time, which means every time you turn on right turn signal you get a warning.
Is that Normal?
(Or did the dealer not calibrate it or calibrate it correctly?)
Any explanation or description of how should work would be helpful before I call back the dealer to complain.

Thank you
Sal
Old 10-22-2017, 12:20 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 Mercedes E550 4matic Sport P2, Driver Assistant, Night Vision, Parktronic and Panorama Sunroof
Originally Posted by Salvee
Hello
I recently purchased a 2015 E350. The blind spot assist was inoperable when I bought it. Dealer replaced left and right senors and wiring harness due to corrosion, under warranty.
My question is: Is it working right?
When I drive on a 3 lane highway in the middle lane and someone approaches on the left it signals, or when on right it signals. That is how I would expect it to work.
BUT- when I'm in the right lane and there is a 10 to 12 foot shoulder and maybe a guardrail or bushes and signs, the right side indicator is ON red all the time. Even on residential streets with sidewalks, bushes and stop signs. The right side indicator is ON all the time, which means every time you turn on right turn signal you get a warning.
Is that Normal?
(Or did the dealer not calibrate it or calibrate it correctly?)
Any explanation or description of how should work would be helpful before I call back the dealer to complain.

Thank you
Sal
Blind spot assist starting working at speeds over 30km/h+, when there is no car in your blind spot, the triangle in your side mirror will be no on. If there is a car in your blind spot, it will turn red, when you decide to use your turn indicator, an alarm will sound and the triangle will flash. From my experience, any boulders or cement blocks do not trigger the blind spot.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I have never had anything but a vehicle directly in the blind spot trigger the red triangle/warning. Yours is definitely not functioning properly.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Those things are definitely programmable.
No experience on MB, but my Ford Truck has menu of adding trailer. I enter the trailer length and system covers the trailer as well.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by Lolxa
Blind spot assist starting working at speeds over 30km/h+, when there is no car in your blind spot, the triangle in your side mirror will be no on. If there is a car in your blind spot, it will turn red, when you decide to use your turn indicator, an alarm will sound and the triangle will flash. From my experience, any boulders or cement blocks do not trigger the blind spot.
My blind spot monitor works different. Without anybody in the blind spot the triangle is not showing anything. This also happens if I pass someone fast. I don't know how much faster I need to drive but anyway.

When someone enters in the blind spot either coming from behind slightly faster or if I pass someone slightly faster the triangle turn YELLOW. If I put my blinker ON to the side where the yellow is then it turn BLINKING RED with audible alarm.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by Arrie
My blind spot monitor works different. Without anybody in the blind spot the triangle is not showing anything. This also happens if I pass someone fast. I don't know how much faster I need to drive but anyway.

When someone enters in the blind spot either coming from behind slightly faster or if I pass someone slightly faster the triangle turn YELLOW. If I put my blinker ON to the side where the yellow is then it turn BLINKING RED with audible alarm.
that is weird. The triangle should only be turning red when someone is in your blind spot as far as I know. Yellow is there at start up to make sure you can tell the system is on only.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by KEY08
that is weird. The triangle should only be turning red when someone is in your blind spot as far as I know. Yellow is there at start up to make sure you can tell the system is on only.
I must correct myself here. The triangle turns what I would call dark amber color (could be called red) when someone is in the blind spot and this same color is blinking if I put turn signal on while it is showing the color. No difference in color between the steady show when someone is occupying the blind spot and when it blinks for the turn signal under that condition.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:13 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
I have a '16 E350 and a '15 ML. They both display a yellow triangle when close to stationary objects such as the walls of a parking garage ramp. They will show red when a car is either approaching or in the blind spot. If I have a turn signal on and a car is in the blind spot, the red triangle flashes and there is an audible warning. It is my assumption this is the design of the system.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I have a '16 E350 and a '15 ML. They both display a yellow triangle when close to stationary objects such as the walls of a parking garage ramp. They will show red when a car is either approaching or in the blind spot. If I have a turn signal on and a car is in the blind spot, the red triangle flashes and there is an audible warning. It is my assumption this is the design of the system.
Sorry, but this makes no sense. The Blind Spot Assist does not even come alive until you are going 20 mph or above. The yellow triangles in the mirror are illuminated to let you know the system is operational from 0 mph to 20 mph upon which they go out. When a car comes into your blind spot they go red. Driving around in a parking garage below 20 mph from a start they will be illuminated yellow, just as if you were on an open road with nothing around. The system does not react to stationary objects at all.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by KEY08
Sorry, but this makes no sense. The Blind Spot Assist does not even come alive until you are going 20 mph or above. The yellow triangles in the mirror are illuminated to let you know the system is operational from 0 mph to 20 mph upon which they go out. When a car comes into your blind spot they go red. Driving around in a parking garage below 20 mph from a start they will be illuminated yellow, just as if you were on an open road with nothing around. The system does not react to stationary objects at all.
I am sure you are absolutely right in what you are saying. But, I am simply telling you how both of mine work. I live in a high-rise and park in a multi-story garage. Both cars have the illuminated triangles in yellow both coming and going in the garage. I am sorry that does not fit with your theory.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:35 AM

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts
1973 280SEL 4.5; 2021 E450S4 Wagon
I am sure you are absolutely right in what you are saying. But, I am simply telling you how both of mine work. I live in a high-rise and park in a multi-story garage. Both cars have the illuminated triangles in yellow both coming and going in the garage. I am sorry that does not fit with your theory.
KEY08 is correct.

From the owner's manual and my vehicle as well, BSA is not active at speeds under 20 mph. The yellow triangles mean the system is on. They have nothing to do with the garage or any other nearby object(s). Instead they indicate you're moving 20 mph or less.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Originally Posted by E430_4MATIC
KEY08 is correct.

From the owner's manual and my vehicle as well, BSA is not active at speeds under 20 mph. The yellow triangles mean the system is on. They have nothing to do with the garage or any other nearby object(s). Instead they indicate you're moving 20 mph or less.
thanks man, I know I’m right. It’s not a theory. Any time the car goes UNDER 20 the yellow lights come on. Anywhere and anyplace, period. He should try driving through the garage at 30 and he will have the same concrete walls, but no yellow triangles to look at.

Last edited by KEY08; 10-26-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:23 AM

So, I went out this morning and drove both cars. Those stating that the yellow lights indicate speeds less than 20 mph are absolutely right. While I made the assumption the system was detecting the walls and resulted in yellow triangle illumination, I was very wrong!
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (10-26-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
So, I went out this morning and drove both cars. Those stating that the yellow lights indicate speeds less than 20 mph are absolutely right. While I made the assumption the system was detecting the walls and resulted in yellow triangle illumination, I was very wrong!
Yes, and they pop up consistently as you drive around town and are below 20 mph and at every stop sign. It actually is kind of annoying, but if you don't see them come on at that low speed then they have either been turned off or are malfunctioning, which I guess is a good warning. Thanks for testing that out!