E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bad Radio Reception - 2013 E220 W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 AMG W212
Post Bad Radio Reception - 2013 E220 W212

I have read a lot of issues with the Merc Radios and not found much in the way of explanation as to why the issues exist.
I have read everything from changing the Amplifier (hidden under an easy to remove head liner containing the "Red and Orange" reverse parking sensors on my E220 W212) to replacing the Command unit and rear windscreen.
I know my car had the rear screen replaced before I got it (as I found a couple or three, tiny bits of glass, in the car and boot (Trunk) when I cleaned it) and it had poor radio reception when I got it but I thought it just needed tuning in. To try to test something I unplugged the radio amplifier (near the reverse "Orange / Red" lights) under the roof panel. When disconnected there is no radio reception at all and the central locking also stopped.
When I reconnected the Amp the central locking worked again so I assume the Amp works.
So was wondering if a rear screen replacement could affect the radio reception.
I.E. Does the radio need resetting (and if so how) after a rear window change? Or is there a MB Radio Guy (or Girl) out there who might have done this before.
I just hate to leave my car with something not working.

I will try (if I can find one) another aerial and plug it into the Amplifier but it might take me a while to get one. If I get any joy (or Not) from that I will post it here.
Thanks in advance.
Jacks
Old 11-27-2017, 08:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by BlackJacks
I have read a lot of issues with the Merc Radios and not found much in the way of explanation as to why the issues exist.
I have read everything from changing the Amplifier (hidden under an easy to remove head liner containing the "Red and Orange" reverse parking sensors on my E220 W212) to replacing the Command unit and rear windscreen.
I know my car had the rear screen replaced before I got it (as I found a couple or three, tiny bits of glass, in the car and boot (Trunk) when I cleaned it) and it had poor radio reception when I got it but I thought it just needed tuning in. To try to test something I unplugged the radio amplifier (near the reverse "Orange / Red" lights) under the roof panel. When disconnected there is no radio reception at all and the central locking also stopped.
When I reconnected the Amp the central locking worked again so I assume the Amp works.
So was wondering if a rear screen replacement could affect the radio reception.
I.E. Does the radio need resetting (and if so how) after a rear window change? Or is there a MB Radio Guy (or Girl) out there who might have done this before.
I just hate to leave my car with something not working.

I will try (if I can find one) another aerial and plug it into the Amplifier but it might take me a while to get one. If I get any joy (or Not) from that I will post it here.
Thanks in advance.
Jacks
Which radio are you talking about? The antenna (shark fin) that you disconnected is for satellite radio. FM radio antenna is built in the rear window and if your issue is with the FM radio it may well be that it was poorly connected or something when the glass was replaced.
The following users liked this post:
BlackJacks (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 07:54 AM

E220 AMG W212
Originally Posted by Arrie
Which radio are you talking about? The antenna (shark fin) that you disconnected is for satellite radio. FM radio antenna is built in the rear window and if your issue is with the FM radio it may well be that it was poorly connected or something when the glass was replaced.
Hi Arrie and thanks for the fast response. It is the FM part of the MB Radio that has the poor reception issue. The thing I disconnected was, I think, called the FM1 Aerial Amplifier.
Photo of similar item (this shows the wires as cut but I did not cut mine :-) ).
I did not touch the shark fin as I thought that was for the phone connection and I don't think I have Satellite Radio.
Many thanks for your advice on the window replacement connection as a possible issue. I will go and circuit test it.

This is the same as the one I removed. But not the one as I did not cut the cables :-)
Old 12-01-2017, 03:27 PM

E220 AMG W212
Hi Arrie and thanks for the fast response. It is the FM part of the MB Radio that has the poor reception issue. The thing I disconnected was, I think, called the FM1 Aerial Amplifier.
Photo of similar item (this shows the wires as cut but I did not cut mine :-) ).
I did not touch the shark fin as I thought that was for the phone connection and I don't think I have Satellite Radio.
Many thanks for your advice on the window replacement connection as a possible issue. I will go and circuit test it.

This is the same as the one I removed. But not the one as I did not cut the cables :-)
I've tried a Halfords powered Aerial and can't get to work. Next I took out the Command Nav box thing (Radio to me) and can't find the Aerial Lead. I was going to circuit test the cable from the front to the back. Does anyone know which lead on the back of a W212 Command Nav Box is the Aerial lead please.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:51 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I had an issue with the reception on my car and the dealer replaced that aerial amplifier that you pictured.
BlackJacks (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 07:37 AM

E220 AMG W212
Thanks for the aerial amplifier suggestion

Originally Posted by Mud
I had an issue with the reception on my car and the dealer replaced that aerial amplifier that you pictured.
Thanks for the response Mud,
I think I will try your suggestion and get one off ebay and see if it makes any difference.

I know cables can break and was just trying to circuit test to see if the Aerial Cable was good but I can't find it on the back of the head unit.
None of the cables look like what I would say was an aerial cable.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:29 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I hope that's the fix, in my case reception was dismal and many stations were "static-y". That unit was indeed somewhere there in the back . it was done under warranty so I really didn't fiddle with it. Service rep comment was that's the first item they usually check and replace for reception complaints.
I see where you mentioned your rear glass was replaced so I hope that installation was ok and did not impact the amplifier.
Old 12-02-2017, 03:53 PM

E220 AMG W212
Thanks for the reply Mud.
I found one on ebay this afternoon for £7.50 delivered (reduced from £22).
If it does not work I have not lost much as MB wanted £75 just to connect to their computer to find the problem then fixing it would be on top of that.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Carefully check rear window grid for damage. The antenna are an integral part of the wires in the rear window defroster. If fine, most common culprit is the antenna amplifier. Should be two, roof frame & c-pillar. If vehicle is equipped with keyless go and this feature it working fine, look to c-pillar amplifier first. Post or PM VIN I will pull part #s to comparison before disassembling.

Amplifier replacement see here: http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ce_and_repair/ + next page
C-pillar: http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...m_at_c-pillar/ + next page
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ion/page_9943/ + next page
BlackJacks (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 05:31 PM

E220 AMG W212
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Carefully check rear window grid for damage. The antenna are an integral part of the wires in the rear window defroster. If fine, most common culprit is the antenna amplifier. Should be two, roof frame & c-pillar. If vehicle is equipped with keyless go and this feature it working fine, look to c-pillar amplifier first. Post or PM VIN I will pull part #s to comparison before disassembling.

Amplifier replacement see here: http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ce_and_repair/ + next page
C-pillar: http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...m_at_c-pillar/ + next page
http://workshop-manuals.com/mercedes...ion/page_9943/ + next page
Many thanks Konigstiger for a great reply.
I carefully circuit tested the printed circuits on the rear window back to the Red, Yellow and Green wire connectors and all showed a good circuit on all 3.
I will be taking the C-Pillar off tomorrow for a quick look. I have ordered an FM1 antenna amplifier that should be with me late next week from ebay.
I will post what I find out, fixed or not.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:33 AM

E220 AMG W212
Photos of FM2 NS C Pillar

Many thanks Konigstiger for a great reply.
I carefully circuit tested the printed circuits on the rear window back to the Red, Yellow and Green wire connectors and all showed a good circuit on all 3.
I will be taking the C-Pillar off tomorrow for a quick look. I have ordered an FM1 antenna amplifier that should be with me late next week from ebay.
I will post what I find out, fixed or not.
A couple of photos of the FM2 Aerial Amplifier Near Side C Pillar
Old 12-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto

Image shows amplifier in/out connections IMHO speak with seller to have window replacement vendor revisit at no cost to you in effect confirming with MB that all connections are correct before replacing parts.
BlackJacks (12-03-2017)
Old 12-03-2017, 04:19 PM

E220 AMG W212

Image shows amplifier in/out connections IMHO speak with seller to have window replacement vendor revisit at no cost to you in effect confirming with MB that all connections are correct before replacing parts.
Thanks for the photo. Mine has a cable support on the car and assuming MB don't fit things they don't have to . . . then a cable may be missing on my car! I did try to find a photo on Google but couldn't. Thanks for finding one. You are a star.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:18 PM

E220 AMG W212
Bad Radio Reception FIXED

Originally Posted by Mud
My second hand FM1 (from eBay) arrived today. Fitted it in 10 minutes and the radio now works again.
Thanks for your help Mud.

Last edited by BlackJacks; 12-05-2017 at 02:27 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:20 PM

E220 AMG W212
Thanks to everyone for their help
Old 12-05-2017, 02:33 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
That's great, plus not a high cost !
Thanks for posting pics and outcome.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Mud
That's great, plus not a high cost !
Thanks for posting pics and outcome.
This was a great thread!!!

Wonder how easy it is to fix poor AM radio reception??? Might be my area but comparing to my other car the E550 sucks on this.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:16 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Arrie
Wonder how easy it is to fix poor AM radio reception???
FWIW MB released a bulletin on this, see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LI82.60-P-056890_Ver_1.pdf (34.1 KB, 275 views)
Old 12-06-2017, 02:36 PM

E220 AMG W212
FM2 possible fix

I will do both FM1 and FM2, tomorrow, just to be on the safe side.
From memory, both Antenna Amplifiers make contact with the roof of the car via the thread on the bolt. I did think this would be enough but I will try this as it can't hurt.
I will remove and clean both contact areas and see what, if any, difference it makes and report back here.
Thanks for the update.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks stiger, I will look into this.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:54 AM

E220 AMG W212
Ok, I removed the FM1 Antenna Amplifier and sanded the raised (Sticking out, down) part of the bolt pillar that is part of the roof (rear right hand side). I replaced the FM1 and the reception got worse. Removed it and cleaned the contact area with an old (Clean and dry) toothbrush and replaced it. The FM reception then got better again. It might even have been better than before sanding. So logic dictates bad reception might have something to do with this connection. Along that line I ordered some "MG Carbon conductive grease 73ml" from RS Components (Radio Shack) for £17.94. Removed the FM1, light re-sand, and added a small amount of the conductive grease to the top (sanded part) of the pillar and the under side of the bolt head and thread. Replaced and checked. Not much difference to the FM reception but MW (Medium Wave) works very well. Caution this grease can get everywhere. If anyone tries this expensive "Black" grease, wear disposable gloves (on Both Hands), I only wore a glove on my right hand and still got grease on my left hand. I might need to do some research on FM, its reception and how Mercedes connects to it.