E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Old 08-24-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
Well actually theres a list of things I'd like to see confirmed to be addressed before I decide to chuck another $600 into a new unit. Like from post #471, option to dim, phone mirroring not working with my Samsung galaxy note 8 etc
Old 08-24-2018, 12:36 PM

14 550 sedan
Also I dont think android auto is compatible with v1 unit
Old 08-24-2018, 01:41 PM

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
2011 W212
Lemon,

My V2 does have a brightness setting with a night mode with its own brightness setting and it works. Seems to be tied to my automatic headlights. Default is set to highest which is 6 during the day and default is 1/2 brightness or 3 at night but I use the lowest setting at night. Night mode in Apple Carplay with the USB adapter is manual only. You have to go into Carplay settings once carplay is started and manually turn on night mode, but Android itself will dim at night when the lights are on.

Phone screen mirroring works for me both with my Galaxy S8 and my iPhone although I dont use it. Phone calling does work with my iPhone but I am not used to the setup and find it has a bit of a learning curve. But the internal mic was good for hands free phone and audio output was through the car speakers.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-24-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:57 PM

2011 W212
Went back to the old post Lemon

1. Is audio switching working consistently? This seems to only work once during first boot. If you go back to OEM radio and listen to radio, the next time you launch for example youtube or google music, the sound will not auto switch so you need to go back to OEM radio and switch it to AUX.

No. It auto switches to AUX but doesn't switch back to COMAND when you swap screen. Many people report even then, it will only switch to AUX once, but in my case if I am back in COMAND again and switch back to Android, it WILL switch but takes forever so I never wait for it. But honestly, I never use my NTG4 anymore so this doesn't bother me. I use iHeartRadio or other apps instead of AM/FM these days.

2. Is mirroring finally working with Samsung phones?

Mirroring worked fine for me both in my Galaxy S8 and iPhone 8 Plus. Of course it is scaled, but does work.

3. Is the car image on the main screen still of a CLA or does it now corresponds to your car model?

You can chose from different boddy types in the menu settings, but sedan on mine looks like a facelift W212.

4. Is there now auto dimming? If not, does the brightness at least have a far better brightness (a little harder to see display during daytime on mine) And is the adjustment easier to access now? A quick toggle for brightness maybe?

There is auto dimming on my V2 tied to the automatic headlights. And there are brightness settings for both day mode and night mode. Brightness during the day seems fine to me unless the unit is in direct sunlight, then it is like looking at an ipad when outside. There is no fix for that other than OLED, a shield or possibly a non-glare screen skin like those available for iPads.

5. Is there split screen mode (display 2 apps at the same time)? This is an android 7 feature.

Nope, although I saw units for previous generation cars running Android 8 that did have split screen. So if there is a V3 in the works, it might appear, but right now, no. I have looked and see no provision for that.

6. When using the phone app, is it still only outputting on the left speaker?

Worked from all speakers in my V2

7. Is bluetooth streaming consistent? On my phone, I only got it to work once on mine

BT streaming is fine with my iPhone although I tether instead and run apps straight off the V2.

8. Is the GPS stronger?

It works fine, but requires proper antenna positioning under the dash and making sure that the other wires, WiFi antennas, harness and everything else do not end up flopping on top of the antenna when you stuff everything in.

9. I see there is now a recent app button on the top right of the screen. Will this allow you to close apps? This would be good for freeing up ram when the device starts to slow down due to too many apps open.

Yes, that button is the same app swap button as in regular Android mobile units. You can swap apps, close individual apps, or close all running user apps. This is separate from services, this is just the regular running open apps like when you use that same button on your phone.

10. Is the selection list in the mainscreen configurable? I want to add additional apps to this so I don't always have go to the apps list to search for my go to apps.

Chris at CKM says there is a way to do it, but I did not actually follow up and find out how. For Navigation though, there is a File Path setting to allow you to make Navi link to whatever app you want. I have mine linked to Waze. But there is no similar filepath setting for Audio and Video apps, at least in the settings. There might be a hidden menu or hack to create new Filepaths, but you would have to ask Chris how he does it.

11. Are the apps in the apps list auto rearranging? I notice this on mine when I go to the apps list, the first 8 apps is always changing order.

Yes, at reboot, the apps list resorts alphabetically automatically. So when you first install an app, it is at the end but after reboot, they get resorted.

12. Is the USB still low powered and support hot swap? I notice on mine it won't recognize anything I plug into the usb unless I restart the unit. It seems it will only recognize what's plugged into the usb during boot up.

I was able to hot swap SDcards and I didn't even bother dismounting them first, but I have not tried hot swapping anything else. I can plug in my iPhone and remove it and put it back and I can always go back and start the carplay app, no problem. But other USB devices, I am not sure. I tried hanging a lower power 2TB HDD and it crashed my V2 pretty hard at boot, although if I waited until boot and then plugged it in, the drive mounted. I ended up just running 200GB micro SD cards instead.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-24-2018 at 02:03 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Skeechan:
aznmode (09-13-2018), Coldfact (04-16-2019), Pazevedo78 (10-31-2018)
Old 08-24-2018, 02:13 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by ItchyTasty
Can't you just download the app from the play store and run it?
Android auto works. For other apps, Netflix reports that it is not compatible with that Android build for some reason but nearly every other app I have tried worked. Here is a list of apps I have personally tried

Hulu Works perfect
Netflix Reports not compatible in the store so you cant download it. You might be able to sideload it.
AT&T U-Verse TV - Installs and runs, but fails authentication when trying to pay a live program as if the AT&T app detects the V2 is rooted or something
Youtube - Amazing and includes zoom so if you do not mind cropping the top and bottom you can run full screen
VLC - Works great including full screen. I play 1080P bluray rips of concerts in .TS no problem. Also plays FLAC audio but it is not a good jukebox app
Youtube Music - Works great, but no full screen (cropping top and bottom), only best fit
HBOGo - Works
Showtime Anytime - Works
iHeartRadio and iHeartRadio Auto - Works
Apple Music - Works (but tricky to log in as the screen resolution hides the log in lines so it appears that clicking log in does nothing)
SiriusXM App - Works although the resolution vertically is short making it not show all the cool channel logos and stuff
Twitch TV - Works perfect, watch (well listen to) Bubba the Love Sponge on my morning commute every day
Waze - Works perfect
Fox News App - Works, but not realiable
CNN News App - Works but not reliable, video streaming keeps pausing for some reason after a few minutes
Google Chrome - Works great although some modal windows from websites are bigger than the screen resolution and there is no zooming of websites like chrome has in its other mobile builds so I can't pinch and zoom sites to make them bigger or smaller.

Carplay works normally except night mode is manual only. It does not run reliable as a background app, meaning trying to use Carplay to play apple music and then swap out of Carplay while still playing Apple music to run Android navigation. After a minute or so, Apple Music will pause. I use Apple Music for Android. Carplay is reliable for me only if I use it as intended.

I run all of these by tethering to an iPhone 8 running on T-Mobile in the USA.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-24-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Added that Android Auto works
Old 08-24-2018, 03:00 PM

2011 W212

I installed the Android Auto app directly into the V2 and connected to my Galaxy S8 using direct USB and after it installed Google app (for OK Google), speech to text something, and Google maps, Android auto worked fine including hands free OK Google. With Auto open I asked OK Google, give me directions to Blah blah and it opened Google Maps and started navigation. I did not need to press any buttons for OK Google.

I did not try Google Music, messaging or phone, but it sure looked like it was working as expected with no quirks at all.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-24-2018 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e350 2012
Glad to see that waze is running really well on v2, but i was wondering if you guys the it in online or offline mode?
Old 08-24-2018, 08:47 PM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by Anthony199
Glad to see that waze is running really well on v2, but i was wondering if you guys the it in online or offline mode?
Waze works in both, but you only get the dynamic routing and live traffic if you are tethered.
Old 08-24-2018, 09:55 PM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by Skeechan
Waze works in both, but you only get the dynamic routing and live traffic if you are tethered.
Oh okay makes sense. I really need to hit the right spot when positioning the antenna tho right?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:56 PM

2011 W212
I opened the GPS test app when positioning my antenna and when I found a good spot, stuck it down with double back velcro tape.
The following users liked this post:
Anthony199 (08-24-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:00 AM

2011 W212
iOS 12 is supposed to bring Waze and more 3rd party apps to Carplay, eliminating the need to use tethering data (for Waze anyway). It is a possible solution if you want to run Waze but are on a limited tethering plan. I have unlimited tethering so I am beating T-Mobile pretty hard constantly tethering HD video.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:02 AM

e350 2012
iOS 12 is supposed to bring Waze and more 3rd party apps to Carplay, eliminating the need to use tethering data (for Waze anyway). It is a possible solution if you want to run Waze but are on a limited tethering plan. I have unlimited tethering so I am beating T-Mobile pretty hard constantly tethering HD video.
What about android auto? Do these apps work well too?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:06 AM

2011 W212
I had never used Android Auto until today (I use my S8 really only for GearVR) but Android Auto seemed to work fine. It showed options for both Google Maps and Waze although I only tested Google Maps with Android Auto. There is no indication of any kind of problem with Android Auto. OK Google worked great too...hands free.
Anthony199 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:08 AM

2011 W212
Oh and there was a few audio app options too since I had those on that S8, like iHeartradio.
Anthony199 (08-25-2018)
Old 08-25-2018, 12:13 AM

14 550 sedan
Skeechan thanks for the info on v2. Is your unit rooted or just running it out the box?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:28 AM

e350 2012
Originally Posted by LemonSqueezy
Skeechan thanks for the info on v2. Is your unit rooted or just running it out the box?
Actually what is the benefit of rooting the unit?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:40 AM

2011 W212
I downloaded one of those check root apps and it said no. But my AT&T TV app gives an authentication error and the most common cause for that is running on a rooted or JBed device so I can’t say for 100% that it is not rooted but I don’t think so.
Old 08-25-2018, 12:46 AM

2011 W212
Originally Posted by Anthony199
Actually what is the benefit of rooting the unit?
Custom roms, getting rid of custom apps (like the crap ware on Samsung phones), full customization of the device, bypass permissions that may be set by the manufacturer, possibly overclocking, it basically unlocks the software so you can, with skill, change anything you want.

like if this V2 has video in motion locked out, which it doesn’t, but if it did, if you rooted you could change that.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts
2010 c300
Lemon,

My V2 does have a brightness setting with a night mode with its own brightness setting and it works. Seems to be tied to my automatic headlights. Default is set to highest which is 6 during the day and default is 1/2 brightness or 3 at night but I use the lowest setting at night. Night mode in Apple Carplay with the USB adapter is manual only. You have to go into Carplay settings once carplay is started and manually turn on night mode, but Android itself will dim at night when the lights are on.

Phone screen mirroring works for me both with my Galaxy S8 and my iPhone although I dont use it. Phone calling does work with my iPhone but I am not used to the setup and find it has a bit of a learning curve. But the internal mic was good for hands free phone and audio output was through the car speakers.
Damn it. I've been hoping mirroring to work on Samsung. I might have to upgrade now
Old 08-26-2018, 12:05 PM

2011 W212
Mirroring works, but as I said, it is scaled so it is not like it is razor sharp. The S8 aspect ratio is pretty good with the mirroring though, but really, there is little I can use mirroring for that I can't just download the app from the G Play store. As a result, I never use mirroring.
Old 08-26-2018, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Mirroring works, but as I said, it is scaled so it is not like it is razor sharp. The S8 aspect ratio is pretty good with the mirroring though, but really, there is little I can use mirroring for that I can't just download the app from the G Play store. As a result, I never use mirroring.
Good point about the aspect ratio and just download app to the screen. Other reason I'd want to mirror is if I run out of tethering data then I can project my phone to the screen to let's say watch YouTube
Old 08-27-2018, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 c300
Well looks like mirroring works on the Samsung note 9 on v1. It wouldn't pop up to install MOB interconnection app but was able to find it on my play store to install on the note. Launched the app and it connected.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...onn.carman.wws

Another cool factor is you can use the android screen to navigate your phone. Only issue is the audio comes out of your phone so you need to use the AUX.

Last edited by aznmode; 08-28-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E63 AMG-S
Looking to purchase

I’m looking to purchase one of these units for my 2015 e63-s. Does it support or have apple car play?
Old 08-27-2018, 08:43 AM

2011 W212
CarPlay requires a USB adapter and host app. Android auto is supported by downloading the Android Auto app onto the V2.

Last edited by Skeechan; 08-27-2018 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Added android auto info
Old 08-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E-350 w212 2015
can you help please

Originally Posted by Avilly
In case anyone in interested, here are a few things I learned along the way to bloody knuckles, lots of cussing, and the final install.

1-my unit didn’t come with the red/white aux cables that are shown in the diy videos. The videos shows the cables in connected pairs. Turns out you don’t need them. Just connect the 3.5mm cable to the aux input in your armrest.
2-One thing the videos don’t tell you is that you have to remove half of the damn interior to run cables. I refused to do this so I was able to MacGuyver a few things as to not remove anything other than the dash trim and head unit.
3- run the usb connector over to the space above the glovebox. Do this buy snaking it thru behind the center vents and into a small opening into the area. Take your right arm and stick it thru the passenger side vent opening and pull the usb connector thru. You may need a hanger or pick tool to reach it. Buy a usb extender cable ($5) and stick it thru a small square hole in the roof of the inner lining of the glovebox, reach for it with your arm thru the vent again. Once you have both cables near the vent, connect them. Voila, the new usb plug should now be sitting comfortably in your glove box. My cable is 6 ft so I can comfortably pull it out to plug into anything/anytime. You can tuck the excess cable up into the crevice if you don’t need all the slack.
4-buy yourself a small right angle socket wrench ($3) to remove head unit screws. It’ll save you a lot of patience and yelling if your hands are larger like mine when loose mining head unit screws.
5-when you plug in the quad connector to the back of your head unit, really stick it in there. Don’t be afraid to really shove it in. You won’t break it. It wasn’t until I almost thought I’d break it that the contacts fit snugly and passed the video thru for the OEM screen and fictions. I took me 4 hours of yelling to figure this out.
6-you’re also supposed to somehow run the god antenna up your side pillar and over to where your mirror is. That’s crazy. I just plugged it in and shoved it into the new void left by the old screen. You have plenty of space there with the new mounting face. Mine works perfectly and doesn’t drop signal off when I’m driving and I live in Los Angeles.
7-since I didn’t remove the center console to run the aux cable...’cause that’s crazy, I dropped the aux cable down the passenger side wall and down to where glovebox trim meets side console wall. If you pull very carefully you can slide the cable out thru there. Then simply tuck it along the bottom of the center console side trim. A very simple push with our finger will hide he cable. Then run it up and into the armrest once it gets to the rear of the armrest. It’s pretty invisible without the need to take apart your interior.
8-perhaps the toughest part I encountered...sliding the head unit back in. Thanks to a tip for deepthoughts66 I was able to slide it in after 4 days of pushing, shoving and bloody knuckles.

Screen looks amazing and sounds great. I haven’t done any mods to the system per than download Spotify. Don’t forget to access the secret menu in settings by tapping at the top 4 times. Select your OEM version and select Aux.

I’ve included some dirty daytime pics so you guys can see what it looks like. I also included some gratuitous pics of the plastidipped grill and red calipers.

Let me know if you have any questions and I’ll be happy to help you avoid the mistakes I made in trying to figure this out.

Total install time with aggravation and bloody knuckles: 20 hours.

Actual time it should have taken with better instructions and no self inflicted mistakes: 20 minutes.

i have those 2 wire comes from original screen, i only use blue one , right?!

check please, because i am trying to show any thing from screen, but it shows black ( nothing shows at all after install all wire. can you help ( for.911@hotmail.com )

what will do for those?!

Coldfact (04-16-2019)

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed