E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

10.25 inch android headunit installed

Old 05-12-2019, 10:00 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
E350 Sport
Just putting it out there but if anyone needs an pro installer to put their unit in and configure around north jersey, I'm your guy. I helped a few members on here already and they can verify my work.
Old 05-13-2019, 12:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 E550 P2 / 2003 S430
Interesting, I just tried and i does show the reverse cam in full screen while booting up. I think you have the dynamic lines because you more recen E class, my 2010 does have the dynamic lines showing, but splitting the signal allowed me to use the vidio input of the screen. I have a few questions for anyone who can help
  • I notice that if I'm listening to music or BT musci coming from the screen and I switch to NGT screen the music automatically shuts off even tho I'm still on Aux, anyone having the same behavior? Is that normal?
  • Can anyone tell me what's the latest SW version for the screen I just want to make sure I'm up to date on that
  • I'm finally ready to put everything back together but I'm having a really hard with cable and puting the radio back in, it's still sticking out an inch or so, any tips and tricks on that?
Old 05-17-2019, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E350 Coupe
Florida Installer

I'm in south florida. I'm looking for an installer. Any guidance or recommendation would be appreciated. I have a 2011 E350.
Old 05-17-2019, 06:18 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Tish Shah
I'm in south florida. I'm looking for an installer. Any guidance or recommendation would be appreciated. I have a 2011 E350.
Where exactly?
Old 05-17-2019, 04:28 PM

2011 E63 AMG
How about New Orleans? Anyone know anyone down here that doesn't suck?
Old 05-19-2019, 10:39 AM

2011 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Where exactly?
I'm in south florida. But can drive up anywhere for a good installer.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:41 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Tish Shah
I'm in south florida. But can drive up anywhere for a good installer.
Jeez. I'm all the way in north jersey. But I'm actually going down to Orlando soon.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:30 PM

AMG GLA45
Hello.
I made android display connected to my mercedes through bluetooth directly but no sound with only navigation. Music and any other sound works well but no sound only for navigation voice guidances.
Does anyone has this issue?
Old 05-19-2019, 01:36 PM

2011 E350 Coupe
Originally Posted by Heisenberg5070
Jeez. I'm all the way in north jersey. But I'm actually going down to Orlando soon.
I'll PM you. I can drive up to Orlando. Thanks buddy.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:13 PM

2008 C300 4MATIC SPORT
V1 firmware flash

Hi guys,

So I have had the v1 of this unit for the past 2 years. It has been working flawlessly. Yesterday it started acting out, could not boot past the Mercedes Benz logo screen (see attached photo), reverse camera still works as I get an image. I am pretty sure it is corrupted firmware (i have tried resetting with reset button, no dice). I happen to have the firmware, my question is does anyone know how to force firmware flash at boot? I read somewhere to copy firmware on SD card and boot with SD card inserted while pressing reset button, this doesn't seem to work for me. Any help would be highly appreciated I am tired of driving with logo constantly displayed.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
Has anyone used aftermarket camera with this unit where oem camera is removed? I want something plug and play!
Old 05-21-2019, 09:45 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Shawn Park
Hello.
I made android display connected to my mercedes through bluetooth directly but no sound with only navigation. Music and any other sound works well but no sound only for navigation voice guidances.
Does anyone has this issue?
Don't connect it via Bluetooth. Aux is preferred
Old 05-22-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
Thinking of purchasing one of these from Car Life Mall.

For those of you who already have them, all things considered, would you make the purchase again, knowing what you now know?
Old 05-22-2019, 01:58 PM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by retna7
Thinking of purchasing one of these from Car Life Mall.

For those of you who already have them, all things considered, would you make the purchase again, knowing what you now know?
Drop me a pm
Old 06-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 E350 Coupe
Does anyone know if CKM has discount codes? There's a place on the order form but haven't found any evidence of codes. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2019, 07:44 PM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mdzukunft
Does anyone know if CKM has discount codes? There's a place on the order form but haven't found any evidence of codes. Thanks.
Drop me a pm
Old 06-02-2019, 09:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2013 SL63 AMG
I have an R231 SL63 and it seems I'm the first to get this unit installed! Does anybody know what these do/are supposed to do? The only one that works is the bottom right which controls the screen brightness. I have the front lift feature, sport suspension, etc. but these "buttons" don't do anything when I tap them.

Old 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM

Mercedes GLA45 AMG
Yes, I would. I have the V2 I got last August and Rock and Chris have always been very helpful answering questions. Having said that, haven't figured out a way to attach a front camera with factory rear camera yet.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:31 PM

2013 E350 Coupe
So I was thinking about placement of the GPS unit that comes with this screen but wondered whether you could split the signal from the OEM GPS antenna due to people having issues with intermittent or weak signals from the aftermarket antenna. Chris said it was possible but did not provide any further details. Has anyone done this? What parts and/or cables are required?

Thanks!

I found this one on Bimmerfest: https://avinusa.com/gps-splitter-cable.html. Would this work?

ETA: Tried installing the splitter but the Mercedes SMA couplings are different than generic (the fin tabs don't match up). I shaved one fin off the split cable but the SMA female won't clip into the adapter on the back of COMAND. Going to have to research a different adapter that is specific to Mercedes I guess...

Last edited by mdzukunft; 06-11-2019 at 01:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 11:27 AM
wbx

CLK230 Kompressor
Has anyone installed the new round corner style in a w212, not sure if the newer style will suit the w212 interior, thoughts?
Also is there any way to hook up a dash cam to the android headunit?

Old 06-06-2019, 01:53 PM

Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
2000 E430 Sport
^ Thought the exact same thing.

Curved for curved interior and straight for straight interior.

Our interior lines are straight so the round corner style doesn't complement as well IMO.

Would need to see some pics to be sure though.

I'm considering buying one of these but afraid that 10 minutes after I buy one a newer / better version will drop.

Hopefully if there is a newer one, we will have the same option.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:39 PM

2013 E350 Coupe
So when I was looking at GPS splitters, came across a post on BimmerFest by user Rayo (who did the splitting with great results) but also found he was able to get the SIM card slot to work using FreedomPop SIM (which leaches off ATT) in San Francisco.

In Rock's newest video, he states the V3 unit with rounded corners uses LTE band 41 (which is China, India) but Google wiki states this is also used by Sprint (in addition to 25, 26). My question is this: Sprint is CDMA. Is the unit's SIM slot compatible with GSM and CDMA or just one of them? I cannot find the info on website listings.

My follow-up question: Has anyone in North America installed the V3 unit and used a Sprint SIM card? This would be awesome if it works.

Ting mobile looks like it uses Sprint's 41 band and has good coverage in SF/Bay Area with no contracts. Might give it a go and try it out.

Last edited by mdzukunft; 06-07-2019 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 01:45 AM

2013 E350 Coupe
So I got my unit (V3, curved corners) today. Came configured appropriately for the C207 (2013 E350 coupe) and everything (including CarPlay) works as it should. Routed the USB and AUX wires to the center console (what a ****** as my COMAND dial cable was clipped underneath the center console). Had to inch the cable back and forth to allow the console to be flipped over as I could not remove the COMAND dial. Took ~ 3 hours but it worked. Routed the GSM antennas to each A-pillar and GPS behind the rearview mirror via the passenger A-pillar. The following are pics of routing the cables to the center console:

The COMAND dial cable (as viewed from passenger side) demonstrating the inaccessible clip under the console.

Routing the AUX and USB extension cables. The USB hookups were placed to the LEFT of the shifter (can't go right because a. the shorter cable is too short and will not give enough slack for the harness above and b. the USB's interfere with the 12V adapter and will not allow the ash tray to seat properly). NOTE: the cable to the COMAND dial. If you incrementally pull the wire from its connection point in multiple places, you can create more slack allowing you to remove and flip over the console.

Drilled 2 holes. A 1" hole for the faceplate of the USB extension cables and a smaller hole with rubber grommet for the AUX.

I *was* having issues getting COMAND back into its spot. Tried for 3 hours on Monday and another 3 hours Tuesday morning and tore up my hands as limited space in the C207. Had been trying the advice of routing the USBs/AUX on the R side and creating a hole underneath the unit for the quadlock by clearing other cables. It was *not* easy in this vehicle. FYI: I do all my own car maintenance (replacing clutches, engine teardown, etc) and have replaced many a DIN. It may be easier in the sedans, but it is a ****** in the coupe. Just saying.

Took the wires apart and re-organized them. Pulled as much extra wire into the space to the RIGHT of the airvents (above COMAND) and gave preference of the quadlock to center area of the HVAC control panel (below COMAND).

As you can see, I tucked the AB/A/B connectors in to the space to the RIGHT of the HVAC panel. Getting them to stay there was a challenge.

And...fini.

It works!

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
- The unit is stamped with CarLife and CKM stickers. So I doubt there is a difference between the two sellers now. CKM offers a 1-page install sheet but this was not needed given the multiple excellent videos online, especially by Amazing Road TV and Flexx (Rock's is also a decent video).
- Kit comes with an in-line audio suppressor (which I needed) and a backup speaker (which I didn't).
- The V3 unit recognizes my Samsung 256 GB SD card. It also comes with a 16GB SD card.
- The harness especially between the quadlocks is too short by at least 2-3" to really allow manipulation of the quadlock adapter to get it placed below the unit. And the shorter USB is seriously short if you'd like to route to the center console. It barely makes it to the area of the ashtray. Per the picture above, route them to the LEFT to allow properly seating of the ashtray sliding lid. (I routed them at the very back of the COMAND cavity and the underneath the plastic flap in the ashtray cavity held down by a 10 mm nut.)
- The COMAND dial cable -- at least on the 350 coupes -- has a hidden and inaccessible clip beneath the console. I tried cut plastic tabs, etc to no avail. I then (carefully) used a right-angle pick to the tease the cabling (after unhooking it from the connector by the ashtray) at its clip points to allow flipping over the console lid with enough slack. I've head of some people cutting the cable and re-soldering but that sounded insane to me.
- Really like the curved corners, even in my 2013.

THOUGHTS AFTER 2 WEEKS:
- CKM now uses Rock from CarLife for technical support. Just an FYI and not a criticism
- Per securing the screen: You use the OEM screws to secure the faceplate (not the longer silver Philips provided with the kit) and use the silver Philips to secure the screen from the vertical holes in the back of the screen.
- Working really well after updating the firmware of the CarPlay adapter. No more freezing when using Waze/Google Maps with Spotify.
- The installed audio app SUCKS if you want an app that recognizes albums and artists without dumping them into an alphabetical list that is tiresome to scroll through if you're using a large SD card (256GB for me). I tried all the top apps (AIMP, BlackPlayer, DoubleTwist, JetAudio, Musicolet, Phonograph, PowerAmp, RocketPlayer, Shuffle) and I feel JetAudio+ (the pay version) has the best interface for the screen and is able to search your SD card (and allow you to do so as well) in an iTunes-esque manner. The poor man's version is to use ES File Explorer.
- For video, I use VLC and MX Player. Both have a nice interface with the unit and work really well.
- In order to use OEM GPS, this is the
adapter adapter
I bought that works. I previously purchased splitters; however, the standard Fakra adapter fins/prongs did not match with those on the back of the COMAND unit. Another user directed me to this product at Amazon. Yeah! Another problem solved.

1.5 YEAR UPDATE ON INSTALL (3/9/2021):
- If following along on recent posts, I had an intermittent L-sided audio dropout and had to tape the after-market CarLilfe adapter lock to the OEM harness because the plastic lock is flimsy --> update, now broken (too many re-installs and trying to shove the damned COMAND back into place)
- Turns out the CarLife harness lock is damaged due to the above audio dropouts and now not feeding power or communicating with the multi-media joystick on the center console. (Confirmed the joystick works when only the OEM harness is plugged into COMAND. Spoke to Chris with CKM who advised me to speak to Rock with CarLife re: a replacement harness but no reply thus far (3/13/2021). As of 3/15, Rock is going to try to source me a replacement harness but has to check with factory to see if extras are available.. For now, I have to be super careful to keep the system in AUX mode. Used OEM harness and screen to do that, then carefully - really carefully - re-installed COMAND without touching any front face buttons that would override AUX and then disconnected the joystick cable so I can't accidentally bump it. Hopefully, that tides me over until the new harness shows up.
- While having the center console disassembled, I re-routed the aux cable and USB extension cables (see below) underneath the center console area because the cup holder plastic supports when crushing/crimping those cables and I do not want another issue down the road. Plus, it looks much cleaner. I also was able to tuck those cables against the passenger side of the shifting column for a cleaner look as well.
- I also picked up a
directional microphone directional microphone
as I'm pleased with neither the Mercedes OEM (it's positioned too low) and the mic on the back of the Android screen. Everyone complains I sound like "I'm far away" or "in a wind tunnel." I've been told it is "plug n play." So far, I made a phone call through CarPlay and the receiving party heard me crystal clear. However, I couldn't hear them! WHAT?!? Next thing to troubleshoot. I also added an Anker 4-port USB 3.0 hub in the armrest. See how I installed both below!
- I was getting a rattling with the after-market faceplate installed, as well as cables rattling against the AC fans (super annoying). I purchased this
Pelican foam case kit Pelican foam case kit
, trimmed the thin flat piece to 19 cm (and made cut out slits for the pillars) creating a "floor" for the cables and dampener for the faceplate, then trimmed the eggshell piece to 19 cm (with a cable cut out in the back) and laying this on top of the previous piece. The cables then laid on top of this. Finally, I trimmed the thicker piece also to 19 cm and used this as the top of the proverbial foam sandwich. NO MORE FREAKIN RATTLES. Well worth the $15 (I know this could be done for cheaper but the kit was roughly the right size and I didn't want to spend my day trying to source foam from craft stores. I'm busy, and time is $$$.) Pictures below!
- Finally a note about getting COMAND back into place hassel-free: Make sure all the cables are separated. And that the USB cables run up against the back wall of the cubby. I found that you can tuck the black square fuse box into a cut-out at the BACK BOTTOM RIGHT of the cubby. You can cut off the two extra CAN BUS caps (you only need the one that works) and then tuck the white CAN BUS adapters into the FRONT BOTTOM RIGHT of the cubby. Then the OEM-CarLife quadlock pairing sits BENEATH COMAND and the whole thing slides right in. After 20-some tries today, I couldn't believe it. A little planning and clear-headedness went a long way.

INITIAL RE-INSTALL TO CLEAN UP CABLE ROUTING (3/9/2021):

Routing the Android USB wires to the LEFT of the shifter column down from the COMAND cubby where they connect to the USB extension cables.

They are then routed across and down the RIGHT side of the shifting column.

The USB cables now routed underneath the center console and coming up through a hole in the bottom. This was to prevent the cupholder supports from pinching the cables (which they had been doing with the cables just laying on top in the previous install.

An view of the cable routing from above.

Unclipped the the multimedia joystick cable. Had to unscrew the shifter column to get clearance to remove the metal clip that holds it in at 7 o' clock position to the shifting column. That was not fun.

INSTALL OF DIRECTIONAL, NOISE-CANCELLING MICROPHONE AND USB HUB (3/15/2021):

The microphone's embedded sound card installed to screen cubby.

Routing the USB cable down the LEFT side of the COMAND cubby.

Then routing the USB across to the RIGHT side of the COMAND cubby.

The USB routing through the shifter cubby on the RIGHT side (my Android screen USB cables are on the left side and no more room).

Bought an extra-long, 10-ft USB extension because Amazon was sold out of 6-ft. Coiled around shifter.

Cables routed from underneath so cupholder mounts won't pinch cables (again).

USB port (round) for the Android USB cables, the aux cable and the USB extension cable (AmazonBasics) for the microphone.

Anker 4-port USB 3.0 hub.

USB port (round) with the Anker hub in one port and the Apple CarPlay adapter in the other port. The USB extension for the microphone is plugged into the Anker USB hub.

ADDING FOAM TO CABLES IN SCREEN CUBBY (3/16/2021):

First the thin piece of foam to create a "floor" to prevent cables from rattling against AC vents and for the faceplate to sit up so it doesn't rattle either. Then the eggshell with a cutout for the cables in the back.

Then sandwich it with the thicker piece of foam so everything stays in place - and nice and quiet. Love the silence!

Last edited by mdzukunft; 03-15-2021 at 10:50 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tiash (07-14-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:27 AM

E350 Sport
Originally Posted by mdzukunft
So I got my unit (V3, curved corners) today. Came configured appropriately for the C207 (2013 E350 coupe) and everything (including CarPlay) works as it should. Routed the USB and AUX wires to the center console (what a ***** as my COMAND dial cable was clipped underneath the center console). Had to inch the cable back and forth to allow the console to be flipped over as I could not remove the COMAND dial. Took ~ 3 hours but it worked. Routed the GSM antennas to each A-pillar and GPS behind the rearview mirror via the passenger A-pillar.

I am having issues getting COMAND back into its spot. Tried for 3 hours and tore up my hands as limited space in the C207. Have been trying the advice of routing the USBs/AUX on the R side and creating a hole underneath the unit for the quadlock by clearing other cables but still won't seat appropriately.

Also, I stupidly took out the screws from the CD unit and the locks are no longer in place. Is this maybe causing issues? Any advice on fixing this particular issue?

So close...

P.S. Really like the curved corners, even in my 2013.

Thanks again for all your help so far!
You need to get it to fall through the center of the AC cent where it splits. Or start sticking the comand unit in just enough to put your hand through so you can start pushing the cable into a good direction so their is no obstruction.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:40 AM

2013 E350 Coupe
ETA: See updates to previous post.

Last edited by mdzukunft; 06-11-2019 at 06:45 PM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.

Quick Reply: 10.25 inch android headunit installed