E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

A few Gremlins

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 01:32 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
A few Gremlins

I've owned Gunther for 10 months now and it's been a pleasure tinkering with and fixing all the issues it had, but for some of them I have no clue how to fix or even what causes them.
1. Airmatic suspension won't come out of sport mode unless the car is turned off and then back on again. This one has happened twice now, once in February and once yesterday, both times my wife was driving the car and outside temps were under 40 (these two seem to be the only constants). I don't know if the car starts with the suspension in Sport mode, but when she got home, before she turned the car off I noticed it and proceeded to pushing the button to put it in comfort mode with no success. Only after it got turned off and then back on again it started working again.
2. A month ago we were driving home on some twisty county roads when the high beam assist stopped working ( got the "high beam assist inoperable" message) and I couldn't get it to work even after turning the car off and then back on. It eventually started working again when we got back home after the car was off for 15 minutes or so. The next day I proceeded to clean the cameras (night vision and high beam assist) but found that they didn't need any cleaning.
3. Sometimes ( less than 30% of the time), the seatbelts won't tighten around us once the engine is on. Doors are locked, windows up, seats in their preset memory positions, pretty much the same initial conditions all the time so there's no reason for it not to do it. It usually occurs when the car is first started for the day.

For most of these issues, a simple "restart"will do, but I find it kinda weird that it has them to begin with. It seems like they let Bill Gates install his wonderful operating system on it.
Did any of you experience any of the above gremlins, and if so, what was the cause?
Old 12-15-2017, 05:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Most likely what is happening is the result of intermittent issues with electrical connectors for the various systems. Connectors are the weak link in any system, especially if they are subject to changes in climate from extreme heat to cold and high humidity to dry. Over time corrosion can build up and cause increased resistance which can cause data drops or breaks in connectivity. The more complex the car is, the more likely this will happen.

On my 2010, I've had the rear camera go out and also am seeing issues with the buttons on the radio panel work at times and other times not. For the camera, I pulled down the trunk lining to access the connector itself and then opened and closed it several times to wipe the corrosion from the contacts to correct the problem. I haven't yet pulled the radio to see where the connections are to work that one since it just started working again. If it happens again and its warm outside, I'll most likely do it and am pretty sure it will fix the issue. Since you have a 550 with the P2 option, you have that much more electrical to go wrong.

And one more thought, you mention you have had the car for 10 months. I would hope you bought it from a reputable dealer or had a PPI done to make sure there was no flood damage. The reason most flood damage cars are totaled is because the modern electronics will never be reliable due to the extensive and ongoing corrosion issues with connectors and wiring. If it wasn't for the wiring, they could probably dry it out and as long as mold doesn't show up, you would never know.
Old 12-15-2017, 05:34 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by aquinob
Most likely what is happening is the result of intermittent issues with electrical connectors for the various systems. Connectors are the weak link in any system, especially if they are subject to changes in climate from extreme heat to cold and high humidity to dry. Over time corrosion can build up and cause increased resistance which can cause data drops or breaks in connectivity. The more complex the car is, the more likely this will happen.

On my 2010, I've had the rear camera go out and also am seeing issues with the buttons on the radio panel work at times and other times not. For the camera, I pulled down the trunk lining to access the connector itself and then opened and closed it several times to wipe the corrosion from the contacts to correct the problem. I haven't yet pulled the radio to see where the connections are to work that one since it just started working again. If it happens again and its warm outside, I'll most likely do it and am pretty sure it will fix the issue. Since you have a 550 with the P2 option, you have that much more electrical to go wrong.

And one more thought, you mention you have had the car for 10 months. I would hope you bought it from a reputable dealer or had a PPI done to make sure there was no flood damage. The reason most flood damage cars are totaled is because the modern electronics will never be reliable due to the extensive and ongoing corrosion issues with connectors and wiring. If it wasn't for the wiring, they could probably dry it out and as long as mold doesn't show up, you would never know.
I forgot to mention the backup camera issue in the initial post. That seems to have stopped happening lately. You think the suspension issues can be caused by poor connections? That would be the best way they could fail, easily repairable. It seems like there's a software issue, but I can't put my finger on it, almost seems like an overload scenario, because once the vehicle has had a short(ish) period to recover everything works fine again.
As for the inspection, I haven't done it because the dealer who sold me the car had the local mercedes dealership print out a inspection sheet and the only issue they had there was an oil leak on bank 2, caused by the oil drip pan cover gasket failing, I since replaced that part. Honestly, I don't trust these inspections anyway, unless the outfit inspecting the vehicle will be providing repair warranty in the future (usually when they have an extended warranty plan available upon purchase). This particular dealer didn't offer that nor did the MB shop, so I decided to bite the bullet and do the inspection myself ( and an online VIN check).
Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
These cars have no gremlins. I don’t have any idea what you are talking about. They are perfect in every way.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:26 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
These cars have no gremlins. I don’t have any idea what you are talking about. They are perfect in every way.
Ha ha, true! Except for that special day of the month. It would be nice if it was in sync with the lady of the house, at least I would know when not to drive it.
The following users liked this post:
KEY08 (12-18-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 02:16 AM

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
Originally Posted by KEY08
"Operating as designed" was the b.s. answer MBUSA used to say about my '15 E350. You know, like the car's HVAC going to full heat in the middle of summer. It's not a problem, it's designed to do that!