Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Hands free trunk access >

Hands free trunk access

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Hands free trunk access

Old 12-16-2017, 12:29 PM

2016 E350 Sedan
Angry Hands free trunk access

My wife opened the trunk by kicking her foot under the back of the car, leaned in the trunk to get a package and the trunk lid activated , came down and hit her in the head . We ended up in the Emergency Room ( all day ) and she had to get a CT scan as the bruise was really bad and there was a possibility of internal bleeding.She is OK - but very unhappy with the E-350
Question: Can the feature be Turned off?
Old 12-17-2017, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E350 Sport/ML350RWD
Hope your wife is OK.
The same happened to me on multiple occasions. I notified my dealership and they had to replace the sensor in the bumper. I showed them the pictures of the lump on my head and they didn't seem too concerned. I have suffered numerous concussions from work so I don't take head injuries lightly. I made a post here a while back and most ridiculed me, but a few had experienced the same issue.
As far as disabling the feature- it might take someone with a Startek or it might be in the engineering menu.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:05 AM

2018 E300 Luxury - P3 and more
File a complaint w/NHTSA. If there's a pattern, they'll investigate and force a recall if they think there's a problem.