E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Key Fob Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2012 E550 Cabriolet 2011 VW Eos 1985 Pininfarina Spider
Key Fob Question

I bought a 2012 E550 Cab a few months ago, but it only came with one key fob. I have priced out another fob through the dealer at about $450, but have not ordered it yet. Tonight I removed the battery from my fob and was able to start the car after removing the "start" button by inserting the fob and turning. How is this possible? I assumed when you inserted the powered fob into the ignition (with the "start" button removed) the car still received an electronic signal from the fob in order to start. Apparently not.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Dear confused, what you forgot to read was that the key batteries have nothing to do with starting the car-----amazing what you don't know!! The batteries are for all the convenience features on he car.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Dear confused, what you forgot to read was that the key batteries have nothing to do with starting the car-----amazing what you don't know!! The batteries are for all the convenience features on he car.
So when I remove my start button, I can insert any key fob into the slot and start the car? That can't be right. I can't start the car by using the start button without the key fob being near the car. I assumed this was because there was an electronic signal that verified the correct key fob.
Old 03-06-2018, 07:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
you don't have to insert even, just touch the keyfob without battery to the steering column or the pushstart button and press the push start.

BTW, make sure the metal key is coded to your car, usually that is 75$.
If you really want the 2nd key fob and not in a rush, wait for spring cleaning coupons and order one.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts
W212 E-class, W211 E-class, F10 5-Series
Originally Posted by Davery
So when I remove my start button, I can insert any key fob into the slot and start the car? That can't be right. I can't start the car by using the start button without the key fob being near the car. I assumed this was because there was an electronic signal that verified the correct key fob.
What are you inferring, or questioning???
Now you are confusing me.

As mentioned above, your key can start the car without batteries---they batteries just control keyless entry features and Keyless Go functionality, which you apparently have installed as an option.
The infrared receiver in your key exchanges "split second dialogue" with your car's ignition, and once the "password" is verified, your car will start.
This is done because there is a slight electric signal sent from the ignition to a small capacitor/electronic bit in the key (this provides just enough charge to send a signal to the car)---thus the electronic "unlocking sound" you hear when you insert the key into the slot.
The Start button is just a piece of plastic that's used for cosmetic purposes only, because Mercedes was too lazy/cheap to make a discrete TRUE Keyless Go start button and ignition system (like all other manufacturers in the world) that's separate from cars without Keyless Go....thus they used a cover-up button that's slots into the keyhole.

You'll notice they fixed this with later models...even cars without Keyless Go locking/unlocking get a start button on the dash.

Hope this helps

Last edited by tresean1; 03-07-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Also shop around. I bought MB key about 3 years ago for $162 from dealer located on suburbans.
Keyless go will cost more for sure, but still lot of spread between dealers.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by tresean1
What are you inferring, or questioning???
Now you are confusing me.

As mentioned above, your key can start the car without batteries---they batteries just control keyless entry features and Keyless Go functionality, which you apparently have installed as an option.
The infrared receiver in your key exchanges "split second dialogue" with your car's ignition, and once the "password" is verified, your car will start.
This is done because there is a slight electric signal sent from the ignition to a small capacitor/electronic bit in the key (this provides just enough charge to send a signal to the car)---thus the electronic "unlocking sound" you hear when you insert the key into the slot.
The Start button is just a piece of plastic that's used for cosmetic purposes only, because Mercedes was too lazy/cheap to make a discrete TRUE Keyless Go start button and ignition system (like all other manufacturers in the world) that's separate from cars without Keyless Go....thus they used a cover-up button that's slots into the keyhole.

You'll notice they fixed this with later models...even cars without Keyless Go locking/unlocking get a start button on the dash.

Hope this helps
After a bit of research, I understand. I didn't realize the fob received power wirelessly to allow the car to be started.
Old 03-07-2018, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by kajtek1
Also shop around. I bought MB key about 3 years ago for $162 from dealer located on suburbans.
Keyless go will cost more for sure, but still lot of spread between dealers.
I called about 10-12 dealers and $450 was the cheapest price.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Davery
I called about 10-12 dealers and $450 was the cheapest price.
Try checking the dealer websites for service specials. Sometimes they offer 10% or other discounts. And then the other dealers tend to price match.

But that's not too bad a price for a keyless go key. That other quote was for some other key, I doubt it was for a W212. I remember getting a key for my Chrysler for $10 but that doesn't mean anything.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (03-08-2018)