E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

possible struct failure again

Old 03-21-2018, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
possible struct failure again

hello guys,
In Nov 2017, I replaced the Driver side strut and then in Jan 2018, the passenger side struts because of bad roads in Charlotte (I suspect the intersection where the local train work was being done in august 2017, UNCC).
Now, the driver side make the same noise again and scheduled an appointment for Monday for diagnosis. I suspect the dead racoon on the freeway on my way to Atlanta over the weekend for the cause of the damage this time.
Now my question is,
1. If they ask me to pay* for the labor and/or parts again, since not covered under ELW, what should I do? What are my options other than contacting MBUSA's CS.
Is there a better company out there, that doesn't break easily? I mean upgraded suspension packages..!
For additional cost, can I get a suspension warranty also?

2. There is compression sound from the front end at low speed speed bumps. Is that common? I never heard in any other car I drove.

*Earlier, I paid for labor on both the replacements. The part was replaced under goodwill. The dealership just made money..!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by raja777m; 03-21-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I recall an airmatic issue for front end sounds over speed bumps - but that was a one time setting issue with the bump stops. Don't recall hearing about a recurring issue.

If you are still under the 1y/12k warranty, I would just take it back and say they are making a strange sound. No reason to share what might have been the cause. If they say they won't honor the parts/labor warranty on the replacement, ask them to explain why and then let us know. We got your back.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 07:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2011 E-350
What is the car doing that makes you think the strut is bad?
Old 03-22-2018, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thefisch
I recall an airmatic issue for front end sounds over speed bumps - but that was a one time setting issue with the bump stops. Don't recall hearing about a recurring issue.

If you are still under the 1y/12k warranty, I would just take it back and say they are making a strange sound. No reason to share what might have been the cause. If they say they won't honor the parts/labor warranty on the replacement, ask them to explain why and then let us know. We got your back.
Mine's not airmatic, just to give an update.
1y/12k warranty for the part? probably yes. ~6months and ~6k miles since last replacement.
Yes, not intended to mention the cause of it either, just shared with you guys, a dead raccoon on the road caused suspension failure (possible).
Thank You

Originally Posted by Youngd
What is the car doing that makes you think the strut is bad?
The same sound occurred for the past 6 months until I fixed struts on both sides. Over small speed bumps, some clinking noise along with spring compression noise.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I thought all work done at the dealership was 1 year or 12k miles. So I'd assume you're covered regardless of the overall warranty status of the vehicle. I know the recent work I got done is all covered...allegedly.
raja777m (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jahquan3
I thought all work done at the dealership was 1 year or 12k miles. So I'd assume you're covered regardless of the overall warranty status of the vehicle. I know the recent work I got done is all covered...allegedly.
cool, will keep you guys posted next week once I hear from the dealership..!
Old 03-22-2018, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by jahquan3
Yes, it should be. I figured OP used dealer so that should apply. With that said, even if they cover the repair, OP will want to find out what went wrong as you wouldn't expect a strut to go so soon like that.

Last edited by thefisch; 03-22-2018 at 04:56 PM.
raja777m (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it should be. I figured OP used dealer so that should apply. With that sad, even if they cover the repair, OP will want to find out what went wrong as you wouldn't expect a strut to go so soon like that.
Sure, will inquire on WHY.!
Old 03-25-2018, 02:54 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic

Do you have any more info on that front end noise over bumps issue? That's exactly what I'm experiencing right now. I read awhile ago that the fix is some sort of software update for the n51 unit, is that correct?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by Oda112
Do you have any more info on that front end noise over bumps issue? That's exactly what I'm experiencing right now. I read awhile ago that the fix is some sort of software update for the n51 unit, is that correct?
When I bought my 2011, I noticed a clunk/thump sound from the front when going over speed bumps at slow speed. Prior to the sale they sent the car to the dealer for evaluation and they apparently performed a system update that made the problem go away. IIRC the issue involved the bump stops and the clearances set in the system. Since this all happened pre-sale I don't have the details unfortunately. However, I did find this post in the bulletins thread that seemed to be related.
LI32.22-P-052062 – 212 thumping from area of the front axle when driving over speed humps when the suspension strut rebounds, the rebound buffer spring causes a metallic knocking noise. Dealer should flash Airmatic control unit.
Might want to check it out. It's been fine since for 3 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by thefisch:
Oda112 (03-27-2018), raja777m (03-27-2018)
Old 03-27-2018, 12:43 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
When I bought my 2011, I noticed a clunk/thump sound from the front when going over speed bumps at slow speed. Prior to the sale they sent the car to the dealer for evaluation and they apparently performed a system update that made the problem go away. IIRC the issue involved the bump stops and the clearances set in the system. Since this all happened pre-sale I don't have the details unfortunately. However, I did find this post in the bulletins thread that seemed to be related.Might want to check it out. It's been fine since for 3 years.
Thank you very much, I will definitely try and get that sorted when I make it to the dealership. It will be a cold day in hell but it has to happen, this thing needs a few software updates.
raja777m (03-27-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 07:47 AM

2011 E-350
I'm not sure that an update will solve raja777m's problem as his car doesn't have airmatic suspension. Having just replacing the struts and then later replacing the strut mounts on my car, I would be suspect of the mounts.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
I'm not sure that an update will solve raja777m's problem as his car doesn't have airmatic suspension. Having just replacing the struts and then later replacing the strut mounts on my car, I would be suspect of the mounts.
You're correct that the update would not apply to a car without airmatic.
Old 03-28-2018, 01:00 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by raja777m
hello guys,
In Nov 2017, I replaced the Driver side strut and then in Jan 2018, the passenger side struts because of bad roads in Charlotte (I suspect the intersection where the local train work was being done in august 2017, UNCC).
Now, the driver side make the same noise again and scheduled an appointment for Monday for diagnosis. I suspect the dead racoon on the freeway on my way to Atlanta over the weekend for the cause of the damage this time.
Now my question is,
1. If they ask me to pay* for the labor and/or parts again, since not covered under ELW, what should I do? What are my options other than contacting MBUSA's CS.
Is there a better company out there, that doesn't break easily? I mean upgraded suspension packages..!
For additional cost, can I get a suspension warranty also?

2. There is compression sound from the front end at low speed speed bumps. Is that common? I never heard in any other car I drove.

*Earlier, I paid for labor on both the replacements. The part was replaced under goodwill. The dealership just made money..!
Thanks in advance.
Hey Raja, sorry for being slightly off topic and not more helpful in assisting you with your issue, I got a little distracted by mine. So, did you check your offending shock? Any oil leaks or bent shaft?
Regarding your question about warranty coverage, they should replace them under the 6month/1 year labor and parts coverage, unless they have a good reason not to do so ( obvious signs of foul play), so unless you tell them about the racoon ( and there are no racoon leftovers on your suspension elements) you should be fine.
I don't know of any better parts you could use to make you suspension sturdier, I personally believe the OE parts are usually the best option for long term use. It sounds like there wasn't anything wrong with the parts themselves, the culprit was the rodent.
Good luck with it and tell us how it went!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Raja, sorry for being slightly off topic and not more helpful in assisting you with your issue, I got a little distracted by mine. So, did you check your offending shock? Any oil leaks or bent shaft?
Regarding your question about warranty coverage, they should replace them under the 6month/1 year labor and parts coverage, unless they have a good reason not to do so ( obvious signs of foul play), so unless you tell them about the racoon ( and there are no racoon leftovers on your suspension elements) you should be fine.
I don't know of any better parts you could use to make you suspension sturdier, I personally believe the OE parts are usually the best option for long term use. It sounds like there wasn't anything wrong with the parts themselves, the culprit was the rodent.
Good luck with it and tell us how it went!
No, i did not mention about the raccoon or traces of raccoon. For 300 miles after the raccoon's suicide mission, the vehicle didn't show any signs of pain or fracture to the suspension. And I' drive my car very carefully, as this is my daily driver and hell it is expensive to fix this silver elephant.

I know they will keep the vehicle for some time as the tranny shudders/jerks from 2-3 gear shifts. The engineer tried to clear the memory*1 (the car's computer learns on how I drive and adjusts accordingly) but the problem still persists. I told them to take a look at that issue also.

*1 to clear the memory on your own, drive around 40-50 mph and change the gears to 2 then 3 then 4 and go back to 2, 3, 4. etc few times, while applying gas and not losing much speed. he showed me this trick, but didn't work for me.
Old 03-28-2018, 03:59 PM

2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by raja777m
No, i did not mention about the raccoon or traces of raccoon. For 300 miles after the raccoon's suicide mission, the vehicle didn't show any signs of pain or fracture to the suspension. And I' drive my car very carefully, as this is my daily driver and hell it is expensive to fix this silver elephant.

I know they will keep the vehicle for some time as the tranny shudders/jerks from 2-3 gear shifts. The engineer tried to clear the memory*1 (the car's computer learns on how I drive and adjusts accordingly) but the problem still persists. I told them to take a look at that issue also.

*1 to clear the memory on your own, drive around 40-50 mph and change the gears to 2 then 3 then 4 and go back to 2, 3, 4. etc few times, while applying gas and not losing much speed. he showed me this trick, but didn't work for me.
Ha ha, suicide mission, I like that! I had a frog do that one time, it got stuck in my front grille and got a ride to my place where it got buried. I've seen a lot of raccons and armadillos on the side of the highway but I was lucky enough not to hit any of them so far. I don't even want to think of replacing my front/back struts, those things are insanely expensive on the airmatics.
Regarding your shifting issue, how hard/harsh is the shift? Will it, for example, make your passenger spill their coffee on themselves when it happens or is it more of an annoyance ? Mine has a shift issue too, from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, it can be felt when I merge onto the highway, usually between 45 to 60 mph, but it's not violent, it's just feelable. None of the other shifts are perceptible, except for quick downshifts in some cases.
If yours only does it from 2nd to 3rd it might be caused by a shift valve (solenoid), those can be replaced and they shouldn't be too expensive. There's also a happier scenario where they can perform a software adaptation for those particular gears and the problem is solved.
Old 03-28-2018, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ha ha, suicide mission, I like that! I had a frog do that one time, it got stuck in my front grille and got a ride to my place where it got buried. I've seen a lot of raccons and armadillos on the side of the highway but I was lucky enough not to hit any of them so far. I don't even want to think of replacing my front/back struts, those things are insanely expensive on the airmatics.
Regarding your shifting issue, how hard/harsh is the shift? Will it, for example, make your passenger spill their coffee on themselves when it happens or is it more of an annoyance ? Mine has a shift issue too, from 3rd to 4th and 4th to 5th, it can be felt when I merge onto the highway, usually between 45 to 60 mph, but it's not violent, it's just feelable. None of the other shifts are perceptible, except for quick downshifts in some cases.
If yours only does it from 2nd to 3rd it might be caused by a shift valve (solenoid), those can be replaced and they shouldn't be too expensive. There's also a happier scenario where they can perform a software adaptation for those particular gears and the problem is solved.
The jerks in tranny are feelable only, and only I feel them. I'm one picky pickle.
last time I had this issue, they replaced the K1 clutch pack under factory warranty and it should be covered again under ELW, if in case that is the problem.
Will update once the stealer updates me.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:18 AM

2011 E-350

Old 03-30-2018, 11:51 AM

2010 W212 E550 4matic

Wow! That think is very photogenic. Seems alive though.