Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Car inoperable with ALL warning lights on the dash >

Car inoperable with ALL warning lights on the dash

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Car inoperable with ALL warning lights on the dash

 
Old 03-28-2018, 12:16 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Car inoperable with ALL warning lights on the dash

Help car can start but none of the electronic in the car work. It won't shift out of park.

Please any info will be helpful before the dealer eats my wallet.

See pic



randy0211 is offline  
Old 03-28-2018, 08:03 AM
  #2  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,308
Liked 363 Times in 340 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
Have you tested your battery lately along with your alternator output?

Last edited by KEY08; 03-28-2018 at 08:31 AM.
KEY08 is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by KEY08:
raja777m (03-28-2018), randy0211 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM
  #3  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
F32 fuse strikes again? Not a lot of details posted but symptoms sound familiar. Check out this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...respond-2.html
thefisch is offline  
The following users liked this post: thefisch
randy0211 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:32 PM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by KEY08 View Post
Have you tested your battery lately along with your alternator output?
Hi,

I did put in a new battery and same issue.
randy0211 is offline  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:35 PM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
F32 fuse strikes again? Not a lot of details posted but symptoms sound familiar. Check out this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...respond-2.html
That is the exact problem I have. THANK YOU! I spent all night last night searching for help. I wonder if it is a hard job, or something I could of done. The dealer charged the other guy 650. I have a 4-matic, did the tow driver have to put a wheel adapter on both axles or just one?
randy0211 is offline  
Old 03-28-2018, 05:51 PM
  #6  
Super Member
 
Peachy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 504
Liked 76 Times in 64 Posts
2010 E550 P2, 1997 E420 (Sold)
I imagine it's supposed to be put on a truck bed since it's AWD, but I'm not a 4-matic expert or any kind of AWD expert... was it in neutral? That should be ok?
Peachy is offline  
The following users liked this post: Peachy
randy0211 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 05:52 PM
  #7  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by randy0211 View Post
That is the exact problem I have. THANK YOU! I spent all night last night searching for help. I wonder if it is a hard job, or something I could of done. The dealer charged the other guy 650. I have a 4-matic, did the tow driver have to put a wheel adapter on both axles or just one?
The workshop instructions are in the other thread on how to do it, but unfortunately there are no DIY stories on here to gauge how difficult it would be. If you think you've diagnosed it, I would make some calls to local dealer and indy shops to find out what they would charge for it. Other threads mention a cost of $700-900 and change but maybe they spent more time (money) diagnosing in those cases. Then decide from there if you're up to tinkering on it yourself. Personally, I might give it a go and see if each step goes without difficulty or risk. With the power disconnected, it seems mostly just electrical hookups/wiring that you are disconnecting and reconnecting to the new part. However, it's hard to tell how accessible it all is. If you're really adventurous, here is a video on how to disassemble and potentially rebuilt the fuse unit (replace the burnt out fuse). However, MB sells it as an entire unit so you are really refurbing it if you go that route (not in my comfort zone).

In that thread, the car only needed the adapter on one axle but I am not sure if that car had 4matic or not. If you're calling for a tow, I would explain the situation first to be sure they come equipped to handle it in case they need 2 adapters - one for each axle of the 4matic.

You may want to send a private message to tesmith2112 who started the other thread to see if they have any advice for you. Also, try Mario Drago who posted that they had this fixed in that same thread. If you end up doing it or at least attempting it, please update the thread as this issue comes up one or twice a year on here.

Last edited by thefisch; 03-28-2018 at 06:11 PM.
thefisch is offline  
The following users liked this post: thefisch
randy0211 (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 11:55 AM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
The workshop instructions are in the other thread on how to do it, but unfortunately there are no DIY stories on here to gauge how difficult it would be. If you think you've diagnosed it, I would make some calls to local dealer and indy shops to find out what they would charge for it. Other threads mention a cost of $700-900 and change but maybe they spent more time (money) diagnosing in those cases. Then decide from there if you're up to tinkering on it yourself. Personally, I might give it a go and see if each step goes without difficulty or risk. With the power disconnected, it seems mostly just electrical hookups/wiring that you are disconnecting and reconnecting to the new part. However, it's hard to tell how accessible it all is. If you're really adventurous, here is a video on how to disassemble and potentially rebuilt the fuse unit (replace the burnt out fuse). However, MB sells it as an entire unit so you are really refurbing it if you go that route (not in my comfort zone).

In that thread, the car only needed the adapter on one axle but I am not sure if that car had 4matic or not. If you're calling for a tow, I would explain the situation first to be sure they come equipped to handle it in case they need 2 adapters - one for each axle of the 4matic.

You may want to send a private message to tesmith2112 who started the other thread to see if they have any advice for you. Also, try Mario Drago who posted that they had this fixed in that same thread. If you end up doing it or at least attempting it, please update the thread as this issue comes up one or twice a year on here.
Thank you for taking the time and explaining the issue. I did see the Youtube video how to re-solder the fuse. Right now the car is with the dealer and I have extended factory warranty until the end of the year. I will update this thread as soon as I get word from the dealer.
randy0211 is offline  
The following users liked this post: randy0211
raja777m (03-29-2018)
Old 03-29-2018, 12:10 PM
  #9  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Sorry, didn't realize that you had an extended warranty. Is it the MB ELW? If so, you should be fine if this is your issue.
thefisch is offline  
Old 03-29-2018, 12:22 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Sorry, didn't realize that you had an extended warranty. Is it the MB ELW? If so, you should be fine if this is your issue.
Yep it is factory warranty, good until 100k and end of year. I was nervous because I have HID, LED and Changed the Tails lights that could "potentially" Void the electrical warranty.
randy0211 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 10:30 AM
  #11  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Dealer Findings and Fix:

TOWED IN - CAR WILL NOT COME OUT OF PARK - CPO WARR
FRONT SAM BRINGING CAN DOWN DUE TO INTERNAL FAILURE.
CHECKED CAR WONT COME OUT OF PARK, RAN QUICK TEST,
DRIVETRAIN CAN DOWN AND INTERIOR CAN DOWN AS WELL. INSTALLED
FREE-WHEELING HUB, PUSHED CAR INTO SHOP. MULTIPLE CODES IN
MULTIPLE MODULES FOR NO COMM AND VOLTAGE CODES. CHECKED
FUSES IN FRONT SAM. REMOVED L/F DOOR SILL PLATE AND PANEL TO
ACCESS DRIVETRAIN CAN X30/30. CHECKED HIGH AND LOW SIDE
VOLTAGES @ 2.4V & 2.6V, OK. REMOVED 1 CAN CONN @ A TIME
WHILE TRYING TO COMM. AAC, RADIO, AND FRONT SEATS INOP AS
WELL, NO ST WHEEL CONTROLS EITHER. REMOVED WIPER ARMS &
COWL, REPLACED FRONT SAM AND PERFORMED INITIAL START UP,
NECESSARY TO SCN CODE CENTRAL GATEWAY AND ELECTRIC STEERING.
NOW ABLE TO COMM WITH ISM AND STEERING COLUMN MODULE.
CLEARED ALL CODES AND RAN QUICK TEST, CODES FOR 30G CIRCUIT
IN REAR SAM, CONTINUED DIAG/REPAIR ON JOB 3
PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE JOB # 1 1 231-900-77-07-64 CONTROL UNIT WARRANTY


Added Operation (********* @ 03/28/2018 18:06)
CPO WARR - ESP LIGHT KEEPS COMING ON 691300 db
QUIESCENT RELAY IN FRONT PRE-FUSE BLOCK DEFECTIVE, DOESN'T
ENERGIZE 30G CIRCUIT
AFTER GETTING DRIVETRAIN CAN OPERATIONAL, FOUND CIRCUIT 30G
CODES IN REAR SAM. TRIED ACTUATING QUIESCENT RELAY THROUGH
REAR SAM WHILE MONITORING VOLTAGE ON EITHER SIDE OF RELAY,
RELAY NOT ENERGIZING 30G CIRCUIT. REMOVED BATTERY AND FRONT
PREFUSE BLOCK, REPLACED F32 FRONT PREFUSE BLOCK,
REASSEMBLED, CLEARED CODES AND ROAD TESTED (79900-79905),
ALL SYSTEMS OPERATING AS DESIGNED AFTER REPAIR.
PARTS------QTY---FP-NUMBER---------------DESCRIPTION--------------------UNIT PRICE JOB # 3 1 212-540-62-50-64 FUSE BOX WARRANTY
JOB # 3 TOTAL PARTS 0.00
randy0211 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 11:59 AM
  #12  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,308
Liked 363 Times in 340 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
F32 fuse block as predicted by Mr. Fisch. If anyone is looking for a good indy I understand he has now opened up a shop in Florida.
KEY08 is offline  
The following users liked this post: KEY08
randy0211 (04-02-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 05:13 PM
  #13  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by KEY08 View Post
F32 fuse block as predicted by Mr. Fisch. If anyone is looking for a good indy I understand he has now opened up a shop in Florida.
Hah, I would rather be a fake mechanic with no liability on the internet. Fewer lawsuits.

OP, it appears that they also replaced the front SAM in addition to the F32 fuse block. I wonder if something going bad in the front SAM lead to the fuse going out. Regardless, it looks like your warranty covered. Did they give you any idea how much the repair would have been?
thefisch is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:49 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by thefisch View Post
Hah, I would rather be a fake mechanic with no liability on the internet. Fewer lawsuits.

OP, it appears that they also replaced the front SAM in addition to the F32 fuse block. I wonder if something going bad in the front SAM lead to the fuse going out. Regardless, it looks like your warranty covered. Did they give you any idea how much the repair would have been?
I asked for out of pocket with out warranty and serviced rep said anywhere from 300-400 for the f32 and 1,100 for the SAM. He showed me what the Factory warranty paid: ~213 for the fuse and ~768 for the sam, NOT including service or tow

I personally think its my battery going out. It is at 7 years now. As for the front SAM, (btw they told me they replaced the rear sam) I think it might be a combination of Aftermarket Remote start, HID, LED, and swapped out tail lights to a newer year made in china LOL

I know I shouldn't do it but my 2015 town and country comes with heated steering wheel, seats and mirrors, 3 tvs, seats 7 or becomes a flatbed and gave me 47k miles in 2.5 year with just brake and oil cost out of pocket. All for a wopping 33k with tax. On the w212 aftermarket remote start is a must, even if it triggers ESP inoperative, I just restart and it goes away.

Last edited by randy0211; 04-02-2018 at 05:54 PM.
randy0211 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 05:55 PM
  #15  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
I also looked up most of the parts "used" and you can get both sam and fuse for under 300
randy0211 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 06:18 PM
  #16  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
KEY08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 3,308
Liked 363 Times in 340 Posts
2014 E550 4Matic Designo Diamond White and loaded up
Originally Posted by randy0211 View Post
I asked for out of pocket with out warranty and serviced rep said anywhere from 300-400 for the f32 and 1,100 for the SAM. He showed me what the Factory warranty paid: ~213 for the fuse and ~768 for the sam, NOT including service or tow

I personally think its my battery going out. It is at 7 years now. As for the front SAM, (btw they told me they replaced the rear sam) I think it might be a combination of Aftermarket Remote start, HID, LED, and swapped out tail lights to a newer year made in china LOL

I know I shouldn't do it but my 2015 town and country comes with heated steering wheel, seats and mirrors, 3 tvs, seats 7 or becomes a flatbed and gave me 47k miles in 2.5 year with just brake and oil cost out of pocket. All for a wopping 33k with tax. On the w212 aftermarket remote start is a must, even if it triggers ESP inoperative, I just restart and it goes away.
Wait, I thought you said you replaced the battery and that had no effect on the problem?
KEY08 is offline  
Old 04-02-2018, 06:40 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 16
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E350
Originally Posted by KEY08 View Post


Wait, I thought you said you replaced the battery and that had no effect on the problem?
I did swap it out with a H8 and had no affect, I left the h8 battery in the back and towed it with the old battery in the engine bay. I think the old battery caused the issue because the week before the same thing happened and I left the car sit for 4 hours and the issue didnít occur until a week later. I am assuming the dealer didnít check the condition of the battery. I currently left the old battery installed right now to see if the issue would return. I really do think it was a low voltage issue. I will know soon, old battery is still in there.
randy0211 is offline  
Old 09-24-2018, 10:02 PM
  #18  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250CDI
Prefuse G30 Relay Fail - no power to Rear SAM

I had a problem with my prefuse box (A2075402750). My solution to get it going until I could replace the prefuse box was to provide 12v directly to the IG 1 post hence providing power to the rear SAM.
Simple but effective, and saves having to tow the vehicle.

If the relay fails then the rear SAM does not get power so all instrument warnings will show, the power steering will not work and the car will not come out of park. You can fix temporarily buy providing 12V directly to the f32 circuit which powers the rear SAM.

Last edited by JAA_AUS; 09-24-2018 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Adding Diagram
JAA_AUS is offline  
Old 09-25-2018, 04:50 PM
  #19  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Wouldn't you need a fuse on the relay for safety reasons?
thefisch is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 08:30 PM
  #20  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
My 2014 E350 4matic did a similar thing today. Got in the car and started driving. Then all the sudden I noticed the steering was heavy, then the inoperable warnings started to come. Cruise control, lane assist, traction control, abs and more, Then I got a warning to not shift the car. Then at the dealer the passenger air bag not working message along with the check engine light came on. On the way to the dealer I noticed the car had no power. At least it would not down shift. I was able to make it to the dealer. The car went down the interstate just fine running through all 7 gears. The more I think about it the more it seems like a battery thing?
Waterdog3 is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 PM
  #21  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
C250CDI
Yes, I did this as an emergency measure.
I have now replaced the complete pre-fuse box and all is good now.
JAA_AUS is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 12:36 AM
  #22  
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2014 E350
Same problem, but it's battery

I had the same problem with my 2014 e350, but it turned out to be the problem with battery. The car started OK, could drive, but all the dash lights on in cold weather. Scanner showed 21 errors, multiple modules failed to communicate with CAN, no CAN data. Tested the battery, it seems OK, after fully charged, still lights on. Changed f32, not working, and bought a new battery from Auto Advanced Parts with 900cca, still not working. Eventually, I changed the battery that exactly matched with the original one that has 800cca, and 920ca, 80ah, for about $170, fixed problem. If buy MB battery from dealer, it's about $300. Online has discount, still around $200. Basically, if change battery, make sure the battery specifics matches with the original one to avoid unnecessary headaches.

Last edited by TW007; 02-17-2019 at 06:02 AM.
TW007 is offline  
Old 02-17-2019, 06:26 PM
  #23  
MBWorld Fanatic!
 
thefisch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: West Central Florida
Posts: 3,066
Liked 301 Times in 260 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
Originally Posted by TW007 View Post
I had the same problem with my 2014 e350, but it turned out to be the problem with battery. The car started OK, could drive, but all the dash lights on in cold weather. Scanner showed 21 errors, multiple modules failed to communicate with CAN, no CAN data. Tested the battery, it seems OK, after fully charged, still lights on. Changed f32, not working, and bought a new battery from Auto Advanced Parts with 900cca, still not working. Eventually, I changed the battery that exactly matched with the original one that has 800cca, and 920ca, 80ah, for about $170, fixed problem. If buy MB battery from dealer, it's about $300. Online has discount, still around $200. Basically, if change battery, make sure the battery specifics matches with the original one to avoid unnecessary headaches.
This is the kind of stuff that drives me nuts about these cars. A battery should just provide power when engine is not running and start the car. Once the alternator is running, then the battery state of charge shouldn't matter.
thefisch is offline  
 

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Quick Reply: Car inoperable with ALL warning lights on the dash


Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: