Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Help to identify this part..

What is this part? Looks like i have a small oil leak from there
Old 04-04-2018, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Not the best quality nor angle but its right above and behind belt tensioner .
Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
I'd like to know the answer to this as well just in case. I'm still waiting on the shop to explain where my leak was. I've been so wrapped up, I haven't taken the time to look again to pinpoint it myself. Is oil getting on your belt as well?
Old 04-05-2018, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by jahquan3
I'd like to know the answer to this as well just in case. I'm still waiting on the shop to explain where my leak was. I've been so wrapped up, I haven't taken the time to look again to pinpoint it myself. Is oil getting on your belt as well?

You still dont know where its leaking?

well in my case its either the seal on oil cooler or THIS part.
and no , no oil on the belt all dry. But i would imagine its because the fan blows it in and doesnt really let it to get on the belt.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 78 Posts
2010 E550 P2 w/AMG Sport Package + Pano, 2015 Nissan Pathfinder
Originally Posted by belarus27
You still dont know where its leaking?

well in my case its either the seal on oil cooler or THIS part.
and no , no oil on the belt all dry. But i would imagine its because the fan blows it in and doesnt really let it to get on the belt.

Nope, nothing yet and I even called back yesterday and left a message at the desk. I'm assuming the tech that worked on my car is out still since he wasn't there yesterday. I'll give them a call again by tomorrow if I don't hear back.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
There are a few things that could be leaking. The oil filter o-ring might be leaking (old or pinched on install) or not correctly tightened. The gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing may be leaking. Or, since you have one of the early styles of oil filter housings, the bottom plugs may be leaking and the air around the engine may be pushing the leaking oil around.

Always start from the top of the engine when dealing with leaks. The new oil filter housing with a cooler is only about $140 or so for the parts (includes a new oil filter, the oil cooler, the gaskets, and its all preassembled)... Add some new coolant when you are doing the job yourself, along with an oil change, and just clean everything up real well.
The following users liked this post:
jahquan3 (04-05-2018)
Old 04-05-2018, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 e550 p2
Originally Posted by Racin_fool
There are a few things that could be leaking. The oil filter o-ring might be leaking (old or pinched on install) or not correctly tightened. The gasket between the oil cooler and the oil filter housing may be leaking. Or, since you have one of the early styles of oil filter housings, the bottom plugs may be leaking and the air around the engine may be pushing the leaking oil around.

Always start from the top of the engine when dealing with leaks. The new oil filter housing with a cooler is only about $140 or so for the parts (includes a new oil filter, the oil cooler, the gaskets, and its all preassembled)... Add some new coolant when you are doing the job yourself, along with an oil change, and just clean everything up real well.
thank you for your input i know for a fact that the seal on oil cooler has a leak.. i can see it from the top (wet looking something in between oil cooler and oil filter , i already got the seal to replace it) and also i can feel that from the bottom if i put my hand , my glove has some oil on it. Could it go down the engine (or with engine fan help) get down to that piece to make it look like it is whats leaking?

oil filter is attached with bolts to engine housing and it has a seal there? I thought it was one piece along with engine.. i guess i was wrong. Good info thanks. Will have to investigate this theory.

and what do you mean by bottom plugs?

im hoping its the seal between oil filter and oil cooler. I tried tightening those 5 bolts , but apparantly it didnt work for too long lol