E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 resonator delete

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E550
E550 resonator delete

I'm thinking about removing the resonator and replacing with straight pipe this Saturday. Got quoted at $160 for everything (which is okay with me considering the inflated prices in my area, NYC).

I'm nervous that it will be too loud. I read that the x pipe will be more subtle but not great for V8. If I go straight pipe, will it be obnoxiously loud? What about drone? I know there are probably other threads but they seem like ages ago, so I'm looking for some recent advice.
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 171 Posts
2010 e550 p2
Resonator delete will not be loud.... youll pretty much notice it at full throttle only.
otherwise not much difference from stock is what i remember in my case.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
Wait, why isn't an x-pipe great for V8, I replaced my resonator with one, should I be concerned?

I also replaced my mufflers and I have some crazy drone but I don't know if its from the x-pipe or mufflers or both :B
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM

E550
Originally Posted by Peachy
Wait, why isn't an x-pipe great for V8, I replaced my resonator with one, should I be concerned?

I also replaced my mufflers and I have some crazy drone but I don't know if its from the x-pipe or mufflers or both :B
if I had to guess, it’s most likely the muffler causing the drone but I could be wrong. I just doubt xpipes on a V8 would cause the drone.

I’ve talked to a bunch of people who feel xpipes don't always work well on a V8 engine w/ turbo's and sound better on V6s. Ive even seen people say that the xpipes on the E550 sounds stock and they can’t tell the difference. I’m sure they are exaggerating but now I can’t decide what to do.

As much as I want to go straight pipe, I don’t want it to incredibly obnoxious. Other than the drone, how did the xpipe sound on your car?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:15 PM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E550 Sedan
I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement that an X pipe doesn't work with V8 cars, and depends more on cylinder firing order, naturally aspirated vs turbo car as well as other engine specific characteristics.
I've had a couple LS powered GM cars and in naturally aspirated form they sounds fantastic with an X pipe versus an H pipe or straight pipes. The vast majority of vette guys run an x pipe setup for good reason.
The turbo's on this car make a tricky and I too have been contemplating what to do, if anything with the mid pipe section. I purchaed E63 mufflers and thought about possibly leaving that as-is until maybe moving to catted downpipes.

Whatever route you go with, post up a video clip!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:00 PM

E550
Originally Posted by 4Door63
I don't think it's possible to make a blanket statement that an X pipe doesn't work with V8 cars, and depends more on cylinder firing order, naturally aspirated vs turbo car as well as other engine specific characteristics.
I've had a couple LS powered GM cars and in naturally aspirated form they sounds fantastic with an X pipe versus an H pipe or straight pipes. The vast majority of vette guys run an x pipe setup for good reason.
The turbo's on this car make a tricky and I too have been contemplating what to do, if anything with the mid pipe section. I purchaed E63 mufflers and thought about possibly leaving that as-is until maybe moving to catted downpipes.

Whatever route you go with, post up a video clip!
Sorry, yes you are correct. I should’ve specified I was only talking about the TT V8 E550 (post 2011) and this was strictly based on the few people I’ve talked to that have had the car ( mostly coupes).

I have something set up for Saturday but now I’m on the fence. He quoted me at $300 for the x pipe which is a bit steep if I can’t tell a difference from stock. It’s just so hard to tell from YouTube videos.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:16 AM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
x pipe on the 550 turbo doesn't sound much different, minimal at most. I'd spend the $300 to cut out the mufflers and custom fab a ~29ish inch J pipe on each side for that price. Or a set of e63 mufflers would work too, they are quieter than just muffler delete but still has a nice growl to it.
The following users liked this post:
Kane12 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by Kane12

Sorry, yes you are correct. I should’ve specified I was only talking about the TT V8 E550 (post 2011) and this was strictly based on the few people I’ve talked to that have had the car ( mostly coupes).

I have something set up for Saturday but now I’m on the fence. He quoted me at $300 for the x pipe which is a bit steep if I can’t tell a difference from stock. It’s just so hard to tell from YouTube videos.

It is a tough call bud! I paid ~$700 for my E63 mufflers so you would be halfway price wise.
Keep us updated.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:23 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550
Originally Posted by Kane12
Other than the drone, how did the xpipe sound on your car?
My exhaust noise is very smooth, it's not raw or raspy at all. Has a very refined sound, but it's also very deep, you're not confused about whether or not it's a V8.

Before I had the x-pipe, I deleted the resonator and had Magnaflow mufflers installed, it sounded like an American muscle car but it had a really ugly idle sound so I opted for the smoother sounding x-pipe and different mufflers.

BTW I paid $400 to install the x-pipe and mufflers.

Last edited by Peachy; 05-18-2018 at 12:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Kane12 (05-18-2018)
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM

E550
Originally Posted by 4Door63
It is a tough call bud! I paid ~$700 for my E63 mufflers so you would be halfway price wise.
Keep us updated.
Interesting. I may look into and go that route. It looks like I may be holding off for now since I can't fully get on board with the x pipe. I just got the car 2 weeks ago and already spent a bunch on a grille, trunk lip, tints and V8 decals (not AMG just the V8 Biturbo). I feel like the sound is the last step to make me happy, but may need to hold off a month or so at that amount (~$700). Wifey may kill me.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM

E550
Originally Posted by Peachy
My exhaust noise is very smooth, it's not raw or raspy at all. Has a very refined sound, but it's also very deep, you're not confused about whether or not it's a V8.

Before I had the x-pipe, I deleted the resonator and had Magnaflow mufflers installed, it sounded like an American muscle car but it had a really ugly idle sound so I opted for the smoother sounding x-pipe and different mufflers.

BTW I paid $400 to install the x-pipe and mufflers.
Thanks, yeah I am trying to avoid the "tractor" sound at idle. I am sure I am over thinking it. I see videos online and the x pipes sound great, but I'm wondering if its because they are flooring it. I wish there were videos at normal acceleration speeds to see if there is a real difference.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
14 550 sedan
I was lucky enough to find a member here with a set for sale $500. A shop was generous enough to charge me $60 to install.

Try to contact ebay sellers, before I bought my set I got an eBay seller to go from 800 to 600. Good luck with it if you choose that route. The 63 mufflers have a very nice non intrusive growl to it
Old 05-18-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Tectitgrau S210
The next "mod" on my list for my E550 is a vacuum actuated exhaust cut-out, located just behind the rear muffler. I just can't bring myself to cut off the stock mufflers because I know within a week I'd be back at the muffler shop welding them back on. This way I can have the noise on Saturday night but quite car on Monday morning.

I'm planing on going with this exact kit, since it uses clamps instead of bolts so i can rotate the actuator to better fit under the car:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112956983439
(our car's are 2.25" pipes, so I'll need the shop to down size it from 2.5" to 2.25", all the 2.25" kits on eBay are all electric, which I don't want)

My idea is to use an Arduino board as a trigger for the opening of the exhaust flap. I plan on tapping into the LED on the Airmatic "Sport" button, so that when I put the car into Airmatic Sport and the LED comes on it will trigger the Arduino, which in tern will trigger the vacuum pump to open the exhaust flaps. When I push the button again for Comfort mode, the LED goes out (or to Comfort side) and the Arduino triggers the vacuum pump to release/shut the exhaust cut-out. Or at least that is the idea, it will take some fiddling and programming to get it to work.

Essentially I just want a factory looking "make car louder" button for my car like the new ones have.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 96 Likes on 69 Posts
2010 W212 E550 4matic
Originally Posted by Ungarisch
The next "mod" on my list for my E550 is a vacuum actuated exhaust cut-out, located just behind the rear muffler. I just can't bring myself to cut off the stock mufflers because I know within a week I'd be back at the muffler shop welding them back on. This way I can have the noise on Saturday night but quite car on Monday morning.

I'm planing on going with this exact kit, since it uses clamps instead of bolts so i can rotate the actuator to better fit under the car:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/112956983439
(our car's are 2.25" pipes, so I'll need the shop to down size it from 2.5" to 2.25", all the 2.25" kits on eBay are all electric, which I don't want)

My idea is to use an Arduino board as a trigger for the opening of the exhaust flap. I plan on tapping into the LED on the Airmatic "Sport" button, so that when I put the car into Airmatic Sport and the LED comes on it will trigger the Arduino, which in tern will trigger the vacuum pump to open the exhaust flaps. When I push the button again for Comfort mode, the LED goes out (or to Comfort side) and the Arduino triggers the vacuum pump to release/shut the exhaust cut-out. Or at least that is the idea, it will take some fiddling and programming to get it to work.

Essentially I just want a factory looking "make car louder" button for my car like the new ones have.
I like that idea! Why the arduino though? You can simply use a timed relay actuator with a 5V input activation signal ( if you plan on using the LED on the center console). The only reason to use arduino is if you want to incrementally control the position of the flaps, but that seems like a lot of work. Really good idea with the activation on sport mode though, I'm kinda jealous I didn't think of it