E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

WOOD DOOR TRIM FALLING OFF

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
2015, ML250 BlueTEC
WOOD DOOR TRIM FALLING OFF

Have 2012 E350 Cab. Wood trim on both doors has come loose, My dealer says that nothing they can do as a warranty but would be glad to take care of the problem for approx $1,000.
From what I
find on line is this a common problem, What has anybody been able to do? MB warrenty? Other solutions? Appreciate all help.
Old 07-01-2018, 12:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,755 Likes on 1,125 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
three words: double-sided tape...
Gorilla Glue makes a good double-sided tape.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Eclass
MB Quality takes a holiday..... again...
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,503 Likes on 1,174 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
You can sometimes find used pieces on eBay. Same problem with faded wood.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:59 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2017 E300, 2017 C300
Recommendations on repairing loose wood strips.

First question: Have the wood pieces completely come off their backing plates or are they only partially loose?
If they have completely come off, then you need to try to clean off all the old adhesive residue as best you can. However you must be very careful not to break the wood pieces when doing so as they are very fragile. Then perhaps two sided tape might work.

If the wood strips are only partially loose from the backing plate, then the repair is different. The wood pieces are extremely fragile and are almost impossible to fully remove from the backing plate without breaking the wood. (I speak from experience.) If the wood strip breaks you will need to purchase a new trim piece (the wood strip already glued to the backing plate) from the dealer, remove the door panel, remove the old wood strip including the backing plate, install the new part and reassemble the door panel. You can do this yourself or have a dealer do it.

However, if the wood strip is only partially loose from the backing plate and you have not broken the wood, you will have to do some preparations in advance.
1. Purchase a package of LOCTITE Epoxy Instant Mix. I have followed numerous posts about this problem and the this is only adhesive that I am aware of that has proven to work. The epoxy is supposed to cure enough to hold the wood in place within 4-5 minutes. I found it took longer to hold the wood in place. The epoxy will fully cure in 24 hours. Also have some rubbing alcohol or mineral spirits available to clean up any excess epoxy.
2. Prepare in advance a 1" X 4" length of wood, padded on both ends with pieces of terry towel, that will fit very snugly between the wood strip on the door that you are going to apply the epoxy to and the same spot on the wood strip on the opposite door.
3. Using masking tape, tape off the area on the door panel surrounding where you are going to apply the epoxy glue to secure the wood strip to the backing plate.
4. The instructions that come with the epoxy say to dispense the epoxy directly onto one side of the pieces to be bonded. However, you will not be able to do that because the nozzle on the epoxy tube is too large to fit behind the wood strip. If you were to pull the wood strip out far enough for the nozzle to fit behind the wood strip you would most certainly break the wood strip. Therefore here is what I recommend:
a, Be prepared to very gently pull the loose wood strip away from the backing plate just far enough to be able to apply some adhesive between the backing plate and the back side of the wood strip.

b. Apply some epoxy mix to a piece of aluminum foil and using a small applicator such as a popsicle stick, apply enough adhesive for a very small amount to ooze out after you have pressed on the wood strip You will have to work quickly as the epoxy starts to set within 40-50 seconds.

6. Hold the wood strip in place and clean up any excess epoxy.
7. Continue to hold the wood strip in place for about 5 minutes. By now the epoxy should have set enough so that it will not run out. It may even hold the wood strip.
8. Remove the masking tape.
9. Insert the padded 1X4 between the glued wood strip and the same spot on the opposite door. You will need to leave the window open and be outside the car to do this. If you properly sized the 1X4 it should fit snugly between the door and continue to hold the glued wood strip in place by itself. If possible, leave the 1X4 in place for 24 hours.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, but it really just takes the proper preparation and being careful not to break the wood strip. For the few dollars for the epoxy and the 1X4 length of wood you save at least $200 for the cost of a new piece from the dealer and lots of time to remove and replace the door panel if you do it yourself. If you have the dealer install new wood it will probably cost you $400 -$500.

I used the method above and my wood strip has held firmly in place for over two years.

Hope this helps.