merc approved garage

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2018, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes
merc approved garage

All,

I am trying to keep the full history of the car .

I always change oil myself on older cars I had and given they cost 70 pound or so to get premium oil and filter and the mess to do it urself, I have decided to pay someone an keep the service history

As you know all new cars have their service history on key and mercedes has it on its online database.
now merc dealer charges between £200-300 for an oil change which is extreme but there are independent garages with the software to register the oil change at fraction of cost.

i called few today and they were around £180 so not much saving.

do you know how you can find them ?

I do around 15k a year and considering I would pay £100-200 each time for oil which may mount up to £400 or so a year extra, I don't think I make that money back on resell so may just do it myself or get kwik fit to do it
Old 08-04-2018, 10:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
"As you know all new cars have their service history on key..."

OK, can someone elaborate, please? If this is true, then what data is stored on the key? At most, I would think only the date/mileage the A or B service was reset.

What am I missing? I do my own A and B services (oil changes) and would like the idea that it's objectively documented somewhere that travels with the car (key).
Old 08-04-2018, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I'm not sure what country that guy is in, but in the US, Mercedes logs service in the VMI which any other MB dealer can pull up. For the US, Carfax sometimes has records of service done at various garages. Depends on the garage, I think some of them report their info to Carfax and carfax also allows you to enter your own info about your car so you can also use that to keep track of service when you DIY. I don't think any actual data is stored on the car itself at least not in the past, but someone with DAS/Xentry could probably confirm.