E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

New owner with few questions 2013 E350 Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
S212
New owner with few questions 2013 E350 Wagon

Hey all, I've been lurking and researching for a few month here and finally bought the car I wanted. This is my first MB, drove subarus for the last 13 years, very DIY inclined. So now I obviously have a few questions.

1. I have the cricket like sound coming from left front brake, it squicks over bumps but when brakes are applied it doesn't. I assume its something to do with sliders in the calipers if they exist on MB. if anyone has any info on how to fix I'd appreciate it.

2. Car has 84k miles I assuming 80k service was done but I have no idea if tranny filter/oil have been changed. Regular oil was changed and when I opened air filter it looked brand new. Is there any way to tell if it was done or not, im thinking if bolts on the pan look close to new then someone was there recently?
3. A bit confused what tranny oil goes in red or blue?

Thank you in advance
Old 08-07-2018, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by Aktash
Hey all, I've been lurking and researching for a few month here and finally bought the car I wanted. This is my first MB, drove subarus for the last 13 years, very DIY inclined. So now I obviously have a few questions.

1. I have the cricket like sound coming from left front brake, it squicks over bumps but when brakes are applied it doesn't. I assume its something to do with sliders in the calipers if they exist on MB. if anyone has any info on how to fix I'd appreciate it.

2. Car has 84k miles I assuming 80k service was done but I have no idea if tranny filter/oil have been changed. Regular oil was changed and when I opened air filter it looked brand new. Is there any way to tell if it was done or not, im thinking if bolts on the pan look close to new then someone was there recently?
3. A bit confused what tranny oil goes in red or blue?

Thank you in advance
congrats on your new found, pics please.
I have the same chirping sound when going over small parking lot speed bumps. My SA from local MB says they calipers and brake pads are aftermarket that is the reason they make that noise. He asked 660USD or so for the fix; I chose to increase the volume on my stereo and I can't hear the noise anymore
Regarding tranny oil, others can help better. Good luck.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:32 PM

Received 222 Likes on 165 Posts
'08 S550 P3; Golf Carts; MT Bike; Scooters
Welcome to the forum and MB ownership! I'm also DIY on everything...never been to a dealer (knock on wood) after the CPO warranty was up. You will likely need a STAR computer eventually if you plan to DIY.

Get a MB dipstick for your trans off eBay. Dip it in and see what the color is. If serviced correctly, it will be blue for the 7 speed 722.9 trans, and clean since it should have been serviced recently.
If needed, you can do the trans service yourself, but a lift would REALLY help, otherwise you will need the car level on 4 stands.
A fluid pump, and an infrared thermometer to read 80 deg C are needed. Everything else is just nuts and bolts. Lot's of videos on how to do this for the 722.9 trans.
Here's a great piece on the trans: https://www.benzworld.org/forums/w22...7g-tronic.html

Check that your sway bar bushings are not causing the squeak. You can remove them and use silicone grease to lube them up, or a liberal WD-40 squirt if you don't have time and want to test. MB is notorious for sway bar bushings making noise.

Keep us posted on the results, and feel free to ask questions if a search does not find the answer.

Last edited by kbob999; 08-07-2018 at 12:37 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:27 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
S212
Thanks for the replies,
It was my understanding that 722.9 doesnt have a dipstick tube at all? My plan is to get all the parts and do the work in my indy shop, have a good relationship there and they let me help past "no customers beyond this point" line.
For scanner i was thinking of getting Autel DS708, its discontinued but it should still read all the info needed, if anyone has better suggestion for sub $500 scanner I am all ears.

In a couple of days I'll get it tinted and hopefully take some decent pictures to post. So far I only have those posted in general picture thread.