E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Android Auto in 2016 W212

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I watched for the part where you press down on the console controller to "START" Carplay. I didn't see that...

I don't drink Apple coolaid, and don't know if Carplay is now part of the Apple OS the way Android Auto is included in Android 10. But without the app integrated in the OS, you have to start the app in Comand for it to look for a connected phone.

Last edited by DFWdude; 01-10-2021 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
Originally Posted by DFWdude
I watched for the part where you press down on the console controller to "START" Carplay. I didn't see that...
It says no connection, with an Options button. On depressing the Options, I get a tick box to start CP automatically, which I now have checked.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Yeah the screen you are on will not start CarPlay.

You're saying if you do press down on the control knob.. what happens when you plug up the phone?
Old 01-10-2021, 02:26 PM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Yeah the screen you are on will not start CarPlay.

You're saying if you do press down on the control knob.. what happens when you plug up the phone?
While hooked up to port 2 (or 1) and entering the select knob, the 1st screen is this, then depressing the Options you get the 2nd screen image....

Old 01-10-2021, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep those are the screens.. but if it is not working past that, then I suspect you have a hardware issue rather than a software one.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:36 PM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic

I don't drink Apple coolaid, and don't know if Carplay is now part of the Apple OS the way Android Auto is included in Android 10. But without the app integrated in the OS, you have to start the app in Comand for it to look for a connected phone.
I hear ya on the expensive koolaid, always have been an Android guy and still do own a Galaxy S10 edge. Unfortunately the android phones only last a year or 2 at best before their operating systems can’t keep up with the android software revisions. So they work great for the first couple of years, then they are bricks. I’ve had iPads for years, still work like day one, wife has always had iPhones and they are always very responsive years down the road. Hence why I jumped off the Android bandwagon. Still a fan, especially if you trade every year or 2!

Speaking of my Galaxy S10, that won’t connect to AA either.

Taking my new iPhone 12 Pro Max out to my F350 Platinum.... CP works like a champ wired in. Also the wireless dongle locks me into CP as soon as I get in the seat w testing back and forth. So nix the phone as the issue in the Benz, as my Galaxy S10 is not recognized in AA mode either.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:38 PM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
Yep those are the screens.. but if it is not working past that, then I suspect you have a hardware issue rather than a software one.
if that’s the case, I’m still under warranty until July. Not sure how this 3rd party add on will flow with that.
Old 01-10-2021, 03:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Top_Speed1
I hear ya on the expensive koolaid, always have been an Android guy and still do own a Galaxy S10 edge. Unfortunately the android phones only last a year or 2 at best before their operating systems can’t keep up with the android software revisions. So they work great for the first couple of years, then they are bricks. I’ve had iPads for years, still work like day one, wife has always had iPhones and they are always very responsive years down the road. Hence why I jumped off the Android bandwagon. Still a fan, especially if you trade every year or 2!

Speaking of my Galaxy S10, that won’t connect to AA either.

Taking my new iPhone 12 Pro Max out to my F350 Platinum.... CP works like a champ wired in. Also the wireless dongle locks me into CP as soon as I get in the seat w testing back and forth. So nix the phone as the issue in the Benz, as my Galaxy S10 is not recognized in AA mode either.
I have a pair of six year old Samsung Galaxy "Alpha" phones that connect to AA in my W212 just fine. They run AA slowly, but they do connect.

A travel buddy has connected his Galaxy S9 to my car without issue, as well. So, I guess the problem is USB port related.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,295 Likes on 885 Posts
2016 E350 4Matic wagon, 2019 Ford Expedition 4x4
my google pixel 1 got updates for at least 4 years, and my pixel 3a is still up to date. I only upgraded because the pixel 1's battery was starting to suck. my 3a currently has android 11 december 5,2010.... and wow, new security update available (second time I checked today, early this AM, there wasn't one)?

edit; Android 11 Jan 5 2021 security update installed

Last edited by Left Coast Geek; 01-10-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:06 PM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
We will see what Vladimir says, but since port 2 goes through the Comand, there still could be a software issue. It does point at the hardware also as my suspicion. Weird that I never had a port issue before the osb/eprom flash.
Old 01-10-2021, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would have a landline before I'd own an Android.

If you are going to try to make a warranty claim, you'll probably want to switch off AA/CP with the dongle first. Then turn it back on once they address the issue.

I know you said Vlad limited the amount of times you can switch it on/off but he never mentioned that to me. If that's the case, you could still give this a try. I've had warranty work done on my car and I just turned it to FM and turned off ILS in the cluster. If they noticed, they said nothing. They're used to seeing CarPlay these days in the cars.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Has anyone opted for more of Vladimir's goodies in addition to AA/CP and/or ECO off?

+ The Agility transmission mode looks interesting, I wonder if it includes or if he can also do the Manual transmission mode?
+ Do our cars (does my car '16 E350) have an electronic speed limiter? I don't plan on ever going fast enough to find out in this car, but just on general principle...
+ Vladimir has an option pack for his VIM. I will never use VIM (then again with a teenager...), but his VIM option pack includes last drive mode (I'm on E 95%+ of the time, but again just on principle...) and also a feature to open and/or close all windows by double-clicking you FOB which also most importantly to me will close all the windows/sunroof/trunk when you lock the car. I've come back to the car on a few occasions now finding I'd left the rear window(s) down so this might be a nice feature. I know you can hold down the FOB lock button close to the door handle and it will do the same thing, but you don't have to hold down the lock button with this feature enabled.
+ I also like the additional INFO screen details display
+ Has anyone done the VIM cable install? I'm wondering how bad that really is and where to get the tools to make sure I don't break off any tabs on the uber expensive wood trim pieces?

Just checking the waters. Vladimir's stuff is reported to be top notch so no questions there, mainly looking for feedback on the additional capabilities - Agility transmission mode and the possibility of Manual transmission mode) and the difficulty of removing the head unit for the cable install.

Last edited by mtnman82; 01-10-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:30 PM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
I would have a landline before I'd own an Android.

If you are going to try to make a warranty claim, you'll probably want to switch off AA/CP with the dongle first. Then turn it back on once they address the issue.

I know you said Vlad limited the amount of times you can switch it on/off but he never mentioned that to me. If that's the case, you could still give this a try. I've had warranty work done on my car and I just turned it to FM and turned off ILS in the cluster. If they noticed, they said nothing. They're used to seeing CarPlay these days in the cars.
In Vlad’s eBay expanded description, it says “activation good for 10-20 times”. Well, this clearly is not the case anymore. I know he’s trying to protect himself from someone doing multiple cars, or possibly reselling the OBD. Myself and I would expect others, would be keeping this just in case we had a dealer visit and they reflashed our Comand center.

On my update, it went all the way up to level 21, then rebooted, then displayed CarPlay Installed, 0 left.

I guess I would do the FM mode to the dealer, tell them I can’t get a loaded USB stick to play music on USB2. Does this sound believable?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
In Vlad’s eBay expanded description, it says “activation good for 10-20 times”. Well, this clearly is not the case anymore. I know he’s trying to protect himself from someone doing multiple cars, or possibly reselling the OBD. Myself and I would expect others, would be keeping this just in case we had a dealer visit and they reflashed our Comand center.

On my update, it went all the way up to level 21, then rebooted, then displayed CarPlay Installed, 0 left.

I guess I would do the FM mode to the dealer, tell them I can’t get a loaded USB stick to play music on USB2. Does this sound believable?
I seroiusly doubt the dealer will care if you have the app loaded in the system. Just leave Comand on another function, like MEDIA, if you want them to troubleshoot the USB inputs for MEDIA. Just make sure you can't use the USB ports for music, then they will fix that.
Old 01-10-2021, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

re protection, it was my understanding the dongle records the hardware ID of the car (shown as a HWID: or something during the initialization of the dongle runs), and that it will then only ever run on that car.

I never saw anything about the 10-20 activations when I bought mine.... I've probably activated and cleared it 3-4 times by now (its currently cleared back to factory, hoping to get a dealer flash as my firmware revs are NOT what they should be after all).
Old 01-11-2021, 12:10 AM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
I seroiusly doubt the dealer will care if you have the app loaded in the system. Just leave Comand on another function, like MEDIA, if you want them to troubleshoot the USB inputs for MEDIA. Just make sure you can't use the USB ports for music, then they will fix that.
...this got me thinking, then I went and got a thumb drive loaded with music that plays perfectly on my BMW Motorcycle. I plug it into either USB1/2 and tune Media to that USB Port.... nothing. Does not see the thumb drive.

Now I’m wondering if there is some settings (somewhere) that turn on/off these ports? My car is immaculate w under 20K miles, always garaged and it’s hard to believe both ports have a connection problem.
Old 01-11-2021, 12:15 AM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
Originally Posted by Left Coast Geek
re protection, it was my understanding the dongle records the hardware ID of the car (shown as a HWID: or something during the initialization of the dongle runs), and that it will then only ever run on that car.

I never saw anything about the 10-20 activations when I bought mine.... I've probably activated and cleared it 3-4 times by now (its currently cleared back to factory, hoping to get a dealer flash as my firmware revs are NOT what they should be after all).
Look in the expanded item description, it states this quantity of activations possible. You are lucky to have so many

I thought you found that you had the 9_15 Comand flash? Did your buddy’s reader mess up?

Old 01-11-2021, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Look in the expanded item description, it states this quantity of activations possible. You are lucky to have so many

I thought you found that you had the 9_15 Comand flash? Did your buddy’s reader mess up?

turns out that 9_15 isn't the only thing. Vladimir tells me...
your current COMAND SW numbers are:
1769022401+2129025611+2129025910

the latest version are:
1769027702+2129026011+2129025910
so I've only got one of the 3 pieces with the right version, the other two need updating.

so I'm going to the nearest dealer tomorrow to try and get the unit flashed, then I'll try again with the dongle and will report back on this thread...

Old 01-11-2021, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Not sure the install counting up to '..20...21...' has anything to do with the number of times you can install/uninstall. In some of Vladimir's video's he demonstrates installing/uninstalling, so I believe this is just the way his stuff works. I'd be willing to bet his dongles are locked to your VIN, multiple cars on the same dongle means multiple VINs on the same dongle. I could be all wet, but am going to find out because I'm definitely ordering from Vlad.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wait, the ebay ad says...

activation for 10 and 20 cars single module possible

I read that as meaning that you can optionally pay for up to 10 or 20 DIFFERENT cars on a single module, after contacting the author directly. nothing on there says anything about only 10--20 activations/deactivations for the same car.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I read that as meaning that you can optionally pay for up to 10 or 20 DIFFERENT cars on a single module, after contacting the author directly. nothing on there says anything about only 10--20 activations/deactivations for the same car.
Exactly
Old 01-11-2021, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by mtnman82
Has anyone opted for more of Vladimir's goodies in addition to AA/CP and/or ECO off?

+ The Agility transmission mode looks interesting, I wonder if it includes or if he can also do the Manual transmission mode?
Agility mode is a waste of time. It does nothing.

+ Do our cars (does my car '16 E350) have an electronic speed limiter? I don't plan on ever going fast enough to find out in this car, but just on general principle...
130mph

+ Vladimir has an option pack for his VIM. I will never use VIM (then again with a teenager...), but his VIM option pack includes last drive mode (I'm on E 95%+ of the time, but again just on principle...) and also a feature to open and/or close all windows by double-clicking you FOB which also most importantly to me will close all the windows/sunroof/trunk when you lock the car. I've come back to the car on a few occasions now finding I'd left the rear window(s) down so this might be a nice feature. I know you can hold down the FOB lock button close to the door handle and it will do the same thing, but you don't have to hold down the lock button with this feature enabled.
I would have unlocked VIM if it were possible to do so with a module, but it is not on our cars. I wasn't willing to tear apart the dash to install his module. I use the door handle with keyless go to close windows so that was not an issue for me. I would like to be able to close trunk with the remote, but that was the only thing I was interested in and it didn't seem worth the price. Vlad told me it was not possible for my car to remember the last drive mode E/S - I was interested in that but no dice.

+ I also like the additional INFO screen details display
I have the AMG menu activated. It shows realtime oil and coolant temp, but not transmission temp in the V6 cars. That part is just blank. But it rearranged the gear selection thing as well, which is nice.

Vladimir is indeed top notch. If you have the lighting package, definitely look into unlocking its full potential. That and CarPlay were a must have, but the rest I could live without.
The following users liked this post:
mtnman82 (01-12-2021)
Old 01-11-2021, 11:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This is correct. You should be able to turn it off/on as many times as you need on the same car. It is VIN locked.
Old 01-12-2021, 11:51 AM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
I’ve got a dealer appointment tomorrow to diagnose and hopefully fix the USB port issue. I reformatted a FAT32 thumb, recorded 1 simple mpeg sound clip and will have this inserted into USB port 2, if the dealer wants to test w his or something else, I’m at least showing him my complaint.

Vladimir says they won’t touch my Comand software as they’ll see it at the latest already. Hope that’s true, the Eco auto (last remembered) function works fine.
TBC.....
Old 01-12-2021, 11:59 AM

‘16 E250 BlueTec 4Matic
I’m really kicking myself in the nuskies as I was on the fence whether to add the latest Android 10 screen or go this route.

I still would of needed a USB connection, at least for the sound/audio input to feed the Android screen as my car doesn’t have a RCA Aux input (NTG 5.1 has to use the USB for the audio feed).

I need wife’s consent is all, and I’m wanting to go BIG (12.3) and for both of us traveling I need to convince her that she’ll have her own side (split screen) to have her Pandora. I can still have google maps and by CarPlay wireless..... ordering flowers now. 😍

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Android Auto in 2016 W212