E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Need help - camera malfunction after windshield calibration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 01:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350S4
Need help - camera malfunction after windshield calibration

I have 2014 E350 wagon. My windshield was recently replaced due to a large crack. I brought it into the dealership to have the lane departure and other sensors calibrated. I think something went wrong during the calibration, because the dealership kept the car for a week saying that there was a sensor fault and they couldn't get the rear camera to display. (Everything was working fine before I brought it in.) Lo and behold, I get a call at the end of the week saying that they finally figured out that the FRONT camera was the problem and needs to be replaced to the tune of $1200+. I decline, and the service advisor tells me that it is causing the calibration to fail but that the camera is otherwise working. However, after I go pick the car up, I notice that the entire 360 camera doesn't function. Then while driving the car that same night, the lane departure, pre safe, and auto high beam functions fail (despite working just after picking the car up).

Anyone have any idea what is happening? Did the dealership screw something up during the calibration that is causing all of this? What recourse do I have or what action should I take other than asking to speak to the service manager on Monday? (The service advisor had gone home by the time I arrived to pick up the car, and the remaining SAs didn't know anything about what had been done.)

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by Incendiary
I have 2014 E350 wagon. My windshield was recently replaced due to a large crack. I brought it into the dealership to have the lane departure and other sensors calibrated. I think something went wrong during the calibration, because the dealership kept the car for a week saying that there was a sensor fault and they couldn't get the rear camera to display. (Everything was working fine before I brought it in.) Lo and behold, I get a call at the end of the week saying that they finally figured out that the FRONT camera was the problem and needs to be replaced to the tune of $1200+. I decline, and the service advisor tells me that it is causing the calibration to fail but that the camera is otherwise working. However, after I go pick the car up, I notice that the entire 360 camera doesn't function. Then while driving the car that same night, the lane departure, pre safe, and auto high beam functions fail (despite working just after picking the car up).

Anyone have any idea what is happening? Did the dealership screw something up during the calibration that is causing all of this? What recourse do I have or what action should I take other than asking to speak to the service manager on Monday? (The service advisor had gone home by the time I arrived to pick up the car, and the remaining SAs didn't know anything about what had been done.)

Thanks in advance.
Mercedes has press releases out regarding only using genuine MB windshields because aftermarket glass can cause the issues you are encountering. Is your replacement glass aftermarket?

Old 10-13-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan
Originally Posted by pezzy669

Mercedes has press releases out regarding only using genuine MB windshields because aftermarket glass can cause the issues you are encountering. Is your replacement glass aftermarket?

Same question. I need a windshield and the question I was asked by the aftermarket company was 'Do you have lane assist'? Now I understand why question was asked.
I'm going to go with MB oem

' ,

Old 10-14-2018, 08:57 AM

2014 E350S4
Thanks for the responses. Yes, it is oem. They were originally going to give me aftermarket but I appealed to my insurance company and they relented. I also used the same installer when I had a crack three years ago. Reputable installer.

Any other thoughts?
Old 10-19-2018, 11:14 AM

2014 E350S4
I confirmed with three different dealerships that the windshield is the correct OEM one. So it's not a problem with the windshield.

How can a dealership screw up a calibration? Is it technically difficult? They are trying to blame the installer for messing up the front camera under the grille, which doesn't make much sense.