Camber Bolt Confusion - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums

Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
Camber Bolt Confusion >

Camber Bolt Confusion

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010-present: E 350, E 550

Camber Bolt Confusion

Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 PM

2014 S550, 2013 E350
I am in the same boat.....camber is slightly out of spec on driver’s front side (too negative; need little positive adjustment). But perfect on front passenger side. Am I understanding it right that I will need 2 bolts on one side as outlined in the diagrams? I.e., both bolts are needed on one side to adjust camber? Seems to me that maybe only one bolt is needed on the lower arm....the other bolt is only to adjust caster?
Old 01-07-2019, 11:38 PM

2007 cls550
Depends on how far off you are. The bolt in lower arm will directly affect camber. The bolt in the thrust arm will affect caster but also camber.

I have three bolts replaced. Initially I did all 4 of them but I had a slight pull to the right so I put the OEM bolt in driver thrust arm and it fixed that.

What i find bizarre is how your passenger side is ok with OEM bolts. Mercedes didnít set it up that way.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 PM

2014 S550, 2013 E350

Attached are the results of my alignment check. Front driver camber is off, but passenger side camber is good. So I’m thinking that I need only need camber bolts on the drivers side. Not sure I understand your comment about how Mercedes set it up?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 AM

2007 cls550
Surprised that passenger camber is that close to neutral from the factory but ok.
Yes have a camber bolt put in on driver side and mark it with a paint pen so someone knows not to spin the bolt head like what can be done with the others.
The Following User Says Thank You to 95viper For This Useful Post:
amirijaz (01-08-2019)
Old 01-08-2019, 10:01 AM

2014 S550, 2013 E350
Good, thank you. So I’m thinking to install just ONE camber bolt on the lower control arm on that side. In contrast to TWO camber bolts on that one side. Or should I do BOTH control arm and thrust arm on that side.....I’m still confused on 1 vs. 2 bolts. Any thoughts on that? I think my target camber is -0.8 —sound about right?

Last edited by amirijaz; 01-08-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-08-2019, 11:19 AM
Mud

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
If you're doing thus yourself, it's cost-effective to replace both bolts to help ensure current and future camber and caster alignments are within spec. If the dealer/shop is doing it, then it's up to you if you want them to install anything beyond what's needed at time of alignment. A good tech can identify exactly what's needed.

Footnote from my initial post:
I had the chance to compare the Febi bolt kit with oem MB bolt kit. I know that MB doesn't make bolts, they are sourced as first quality from various mfg. However, the Febi bolts did not have any grading marks - the oem bolts did. I've used Febi parts on the VW bug I restored but you know how it can get with personal comfort level lol. I returned the Febi bolts and am getting oem MB bolt kit from mbpartsdirect. The difference is $6 more per kit (I'm getting 4 kits), so for $24 it's worth the warm fuzzy feeling. My dealer will install the oem kits I provide for $100 per side plus a reduced cost of second alignment. For the $200 extra labor it's worth it to me. The particular tech that always works on my car does a great job, very detailed, all clips and fasteners back in place, etc.

Footnote 2:
Sorry I know this bolt selection bingo sounds crazy but I decided to install the oem bolt kits myself. In the process of looking up info I also came across a local indy garage specializing in the german cars. Decided to give them a try on the alignment as they were reasonable on cost and knowledgeable when I talked with them. Shop clean and neat, lots of cars. That's the final plan lol.

Last edited by Mud; 01-12-2019 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:59 PM

2007 cls550
Originally Posted by amirijaz View Post
Good, thank you. So Iím thinking to install just ONE camber bolt on the lower control arm on that side. In contrast to TWO camber bolts on that one side. Or should I do BOTH control arm and thrust arm on that side.....Iím still confused on 1 vs. 2 bolts. Any thoughts on that? I think my target camber is -0.8 ósound about right?
Google a pic from under the car. You will see that the lower arm 100% impacts camber when the bolt installs. Then look at the thrust (caster) arm. It is on an angle and will affect camber but will also affect caster.

I first installed all 4 bolts. It helped camber a lot but I also retained a slight pull to the right that was from factory and is on many cars. I put the driver thrust arm back to original bolt and fixed that.

Understand that these are fixed adjustments so it helps but is not perfection. Somewhat expensive solutions allow you to dial it in but not without drama.
Old 01-12-2019, 08:02 PM
Mud

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Just to wrap this post, I will put the bolt kit installation process in a separate diy post.

The oem bolt kit:

Thanks especially to 95Viper for his comprehensive info.

Last edited by Mud; 01-12-2019 at 08:06 PM.