E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Warranty compliance question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
2016 E350 Sedan
Question Warranty compliance question

My E350 is a 2016, still has the original factory warranty. Do I have to have the 'A' service and then the 'B' service done at the dealer in order to have the warranty stay in force. If I change the oil myself or go to an independent garage will MB be as cooperative on a warranty claim as they would be if I maintain dealer service and relationship? The disparity in pricing of these services from dealer to indy to diy is large
Old 11-01-2018, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
IF something electrical fails it would have nothing to do with having the services or not... so you would be OK.

But say you ignore having the oil changed and engine seizes up... well then you are at fault.

So read what the service manual wants done and ensure it gets done. but know if something fails that does not require service then they have to cover it.
If something failed due to you not having it serviced then you are at fault.

MB does not have to do the service for warranty to be used.

I think it is call MAGNUSS Warranty law as done by your congress many many years ago...

SO manufacturer cannot force you to get service done by them in order for warranty to be applied.
you can go to independants... keep proof though of work performed
The following 2 users liked this post by ygmn:
Captiva (11-06-2018), raja777m (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
So long as you can produce some sort of records to indicate that all the services associated with both A and B services were done at the appropriate intervals (read your ownership manual for time and mileage intervals), you are fine with respect to your MB warranty. Yes, the costs associated with having routine services done on any luxury vehicle at a dealership, no matter what brand it is, is always markedly higher than either a decent indy shop or DIY.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,725 Likes on 1,105 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
I would (and plan to myself) save receipts showing that you bought the appropriate oil and MB filter... "A service" is a beyond extravagant oil change at the dealer.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
This is always a debated topic. I prefer to use the dealership and while the prices are higher, not extravagantly so as some suggest. You also have to question how is the independent guy reducing his cost. Untrained labor doing the actual work, cheaper products or parts and so forth. I have used independents before and always regretted it. These were highly rated and certified guys too.
Another positive of using the dealership is that he has access to all the latest information from MB on recalls and other issues. As well as access to the MB information systems. Not to mention establishing a good working relationship with the people who have to agree that your future problem is a warranty issue and they will fix it without question. Will they give you a loaner if an extended repair? Will they go to bat with MB if they say it is not covered?
Not sure of rules now, but for me Roadside Assistance is free as long as I get car serviced at an MB dealer once per year. Used it last month. Dealer had the guy here within 90 minutes and I was the second call on his list. I'm a 45 minute drive from the dealership.
After all, it's an MB E Class. You paid a substantial premium for the car, so why not pay for best service?
Old 11-02-2018, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 286 Posts
EQ
As stated, keep all receipts which clearly show what parts/labor was performed in accordance with the minimums required per your manual. You are NOT required to go to the dealer for service to maintain warranty.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by El Cid
This is always a debated topic. I prefer to use the dealership and while the prices are higher, not extravagantly so as some suggest. You also have to question how is the independent guy reducing his cost, using untrained labor....
You can buy two 5-qt jugs of Mobil 1 0-40w at Walmart for $51, a genuine MB fleece filter at the dealer for $20, and you've accumulated $71 in receipts for parts. Do the work yourself, or pay an indy guy up 180% above this to cover 1/2 hour labor and the rest profit... and you've still spent less than half the price of an MB Dealer oil change (A service).

Using a proper oil evacuator, one of my 10 year-old grandkids enjoys pumping out the oil (the only physical effort needed). An oil change is about the easiest job anyone can do on a Mercedes-Benz...No rocket science required.

Originally Posted by El Cid
Another positive of using the dealership is that he has access to all the latest information from MB on recalls and other issues. As well as access to the MB information systems. Not to mention establishing a good working relationship with the people who have to agree that your future problem is a warranty issue and they will fix it without question. Will they give you a loaner if an extended repair? Will they go to bat with MB if they say it is not covered?
All interesting points, but I've changed the oil in my MBs for 18 years now, and have never had a dealer turn away a warranty issue based on my greasing their palms. The dealer gets paid by Mercedes-Benz to make warranty repairs.. Among the five MB dealers in my area, there is always more than one looking to perform an MB reimbursed warranty job, regardless of my patronage.

Last edited by DFWdude; 11-02-2018 at 10:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
NickTH (11-07-2018)
Old 11-03-2018, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Originally Posted by DFWdude
All interesting points, but I've changed the oil in my MBs for 18 years now, and have never had a dealer turn away a warranty issue based on my greasing their palms. The dealer gets paid by Mercedes-Benz to make warranty repairs.. Among the five MB dealers in my area, there is always more than one looking to perform an MB reimbursed warranty job, regardless of my patronage.
I have had some issues in the past where the dealer had to push MB to cover the items as warranty. Also a couple of situations where the dealership just took care of something without charging me.
Just trying to point out that it is an option and there are advantages and disadvantages to all three methods - dealership, indy, DIY.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:30 PM

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts
2011 E550
I change the oil on my bike but I use a GoPro on a chest mount to document the whole session, and to have tangible proof Incase Ducati wants to be difficult lol.
Old 11-04-2018, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Suppose the cars keep service resets in the memory and dealer can access the dates & mileage.
From what I heard - receipt for oil filter and oil + your note in service book is all the proof of service you need.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:45 AM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
My advise, these days with the ease of taking quality video's, if I had a brand new vehicle and decided to do my own oil changes. I would of course keep all the receipts, and do a full video of the procedure. They could not deny a warranty claim if the procedure was all done correctly. You would want to make sure any identifying numbers on the car and or engine are in the video as the job is done. And hope fully a good time stamp on the video as well, don't forget to also get the mileage on it as well. And if you go to show said video and receipts to them make sure you have copies.
With good proof you would win a case, when accused of neglect of changing your oil.
I guess the bob fellow already mention using a go pro. I didn't see that before posting this.

Last edited by exhaustgases; 11-13-2018 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
You can also use MyCARFAX to document all the work done on your car. I started using this recently, and found that it captures all the previous dealership work done, and any subsequent DIY work you chose to do. You can also upload your oil and filter receipts.

The site also sends you reminders for scheduled maintenance needs (you set the parameters). Also, the site sends you reminders for state inspection and plate renewals, which get updated by your local inspection station and the DMV (they must upload based on VIN). Finally you will receive any recall alerts. Pretty nifty. www.mycarfax.com

Only question is how a dealer would access the information directly themselves when you need to prove anything. I suppose you can log on using a dealership computer as well. Does anyone know?