Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Argh - OBD scanner again!

For you scanner gurus, especially such as Kajtek and Cetialpha, I've looked at a number of threads on scanners, including the one I had posted awhile back:
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...ost-makes.html

Here's where I'm at today:

- I own an icarsoft MB II for my MB and a generic Konnwei KW850 for our 2011 Silverado/other vehicles - both have been very good and have met my expectations.
- My nephew owns a beautiful 2007 E350 AMG (damn him lol), but has no OBD scanner. He is interested in getting one and I'm thinking to give him mine and get another for my MB.
- My criteria is to continue to follow the icarsoft scanner capability: My car is now out of any warranty so the ability to access all modules on the vehicle is of key consideration, but I don't really need or want to program or re-program anything.
- My price range is $100-$200 (+/-).
- I can consider a scanner that will also be able to access GM modules, but not absolutely necessary. I think that additional capability usually is an added cost per vehicle.

There are several choices as I see them:
- MB icarsoft V2.0
- Foxwell NT510
- Autel Digilink MR808
- Autel MD802 MaxiDiag Elite
- Launch X431 ( I know diddly-zip about their products)

I'm inclined to go with the icarsoft V2.0 mainly because I'm used to that scanner for MB, but open to suggestions. I'm thinking that with the usual online Black Friday and Cyber Monday or whatever it is I can get a few bucks off as well.

thanks as always for your advice!
Old 11-18-2018, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I don't know much about icarsoft or Foxwell. For Autel, I like the Diaglink, it's $80 and does MB specific codes, basically the MD802 except it only does one car line. Don't have one but some say it's fine. For an extra $10, you can add another car line like GM. There's several for sale but the one below is the cheapest. The other ones have different reviews. Some of the negative ones seem to be people who can't figure out how to use it or don't like the interface.

Amazon Amazon

I still have my Launch X431 which I bought several years ago. Think I only paid around $30 for it and the price has continued to increase since. I think it's up to $160 for the plus version. It was a great deal at $30 and I didn't realize how good it was for that price back then. Still works too. It won't let me update to the latest version, but it let me update it to one previous version that was older. They seem to have lots of older versions though so I think even the version that was one step too old was still newer than the old version I was using. The plus version supposed two car lines so that was a pretty good deal for $30. All I use it for is to scan for codes and clear them. You get weird errors once in a while when the battery gets low so it's good to be able to read them and clear them out.
Old 11-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I wish my stock choices did as well as your Launch scanner value increase! I'll look more at that one but it appears the Diaglink is best bang for the buck to be able to recognize and read the MB modules.
Thanks.

EDIT - not to belabor this topic but I see a number of folks on different sites not pleased with the MD802 module accessibility and general function. I understand what you said about the negative reviews, etc. so I'm going to dig a bit deeper on functionality. To be honest I'm admittedly returning to my icarsoft V2.0 comfort zone, as I know exactly how well that one works even at the nominal $145 cost. Also for my older eyes the tablet version is much easier to work with. Maybe I've answered my own question lol.
The Konnwei MK850 generic scanner I also have is a very good overall scantool, it was great to track down sensor (and eventual wire harness issues) on 99 Civic From Hell. So I able to cover general vehicle stuff quite well, the MB is the one that is the special animal for me.

I do appreciate the feedback, I'm also old enough to remember building my cars before the internet and forums. This has been very helpful.

Last edited by Mud; 11-21-2018 at 05:33 PM.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Yeah, I wish I knew it was going to go up like crazy like that, would have had more people buy it. I watched it go up to 60 and I though it was just a momentary blip and that it'd drop down again. Then it went up to $100 and thought that it'd stop there as that's the price of other similar scanners. Now it's up to $160 although they came out with a 3.0 version and I just have the 2.0 version. I think the newer version supports a faster mode of bluetooth. The drawback is that the two car line support is only for one year, then you're not supposed to get updates anymore. I think that's what happened to me, it prevented me from getting the latest update, but it seems like they come out with several a year and I bought mine 3 years ago so in theory it should have limited me to the last update from 2 years ago, but I was able to grab one that was just one step below the latest. Also my X431 isn't very user friendly and use of it isn't that intuitive, but I was in IT for years so know how to poke around and figure things out. If it were more popular, I'm sure they'd say the same negative things about it. These tools seem to be made for the trades and aren't designed as user friendly systems that the public normally gets so I wouldn't go too crazy looking for the ideal system. As long as it can pull the codes and clear them, that's enough to make me happy that I can at least do some basic troubleshooting.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Let's start with the point that no single scanner will provide it all.
SD clones do it on older vehicles, but for big price ticket, you don't have real warranty.
If you want shop diagnostic scanner - MaxiEcu has the most. They do all the sensors, adaptations and test. But the updates come with several years delay and I stil wait for program to cover modules on my 2014 diesel.
iCarsoft MBII doesn't cover 2014 diesel as well and email send with question was left with no answer. They don't have list of supporting modules, like MaxiEcu does, so even less predictable, but it is portable scanner, what has its advantages.
This year I took advantage of hassle-free returns some sellers offer and I reviewed 3 scanners that are MB-oriented.
Autotell had program to test engine smoothness, iCarsoft even not reading my diesel, has generic program for DPF regeneration.
Than I found some of the programs are dummies and run the numbers who are not real.
Bottom line- for a guy who just starts - I would buy $7 Bluetooth plug + $5 TorquePro app. That will read all the codes, do lot of live data and you can take it with you on each trip.
The following users liked this post:
happyeds (07-18-2020)
Old 11-21-2018, 06:01 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Thanks for your replies. Kajtek, I like to get beyond just looking at generic codes and I didn't really know about maxiecu. I looked up some info on it and it appears to be made in Poland and uses a laptop for display which is fine with me. It looks like I can buy it on eBay for $159 shipped which is to me a reasonable price. The seller is maxiecu so I'm thinking this is a listing directly from the mfg.
Based on your input and the online info, it appears maxiecu can provide what I'm looking for, unless I'm missing something. I did send a note to the seller to verify if the application covers my W212 gasoline E350.

Last edited by Mud; 11-21-2018 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 02:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I bought ME from Poland for less than 1/2 that price, but it was about 3 years ago.
Seem ME is the only scanners manufacturer who lists the supported modules. The site is cookies-based, so you'd have to scroll it from start, but I added copy what come when I punched 2012 E350. Unfortunatelly even with English chosen for the site, some commands are in Polish, but google should solve the issue. https://maxiecu.com/product/?lang=en

CHOOSE THE SYSTEMAdditional/Stationary HeaterBrake SystemCentral gatewayDoorEngine DieselEngine PetrolFuel pump controlGearboxHeadlightImmobiliserInfotainmentInst rumentOtherOverheadParking SystemRestraintsService light resetSteeringSuspensionTrailer ConnectionTyre Pressure
CHOOSE THE DRIVER156.985 6,2 Bosch Motronic ME 9.7 AMG ME 9.7 AMG271.860 1,8 SIM271DE20 SIM271DE20271.958 1,8 SIM271KECNG SIM271KECNG272.977 3,5 Bosch Motronic ME 9.7 ME 9.7272.983 3,5 Bosch Motronic MED 9.7273.970 5,5 Bosch Motronic ME 9.7 ME 9.7273.971 5,5 Bosch Motronic ME 9.7 ME 9.7RefreshErase FaultsKnock control systemKnock sensor, signalEngine torque NmEngine speed RpmEngine load %Inertia fuel shutoffAir mass kg/hInjection time, left msInjection time, right msLambda control, before CAT leftLambda control, before CAT rightLeft O2 sensor circuit after catalytic converter VLeft O2 sensor circuit before catalytic converter VRight O2 sensor circuit after catalytic converter VRight O2 sensor circuit before catalytic converter VExhaust gas temperature downstream of left CAT °CExhaust gas temperature downstream of right CAT °CCoolant temperature °CEngine start temperature °CIntake air temperature °CPremAir sensor °CIntake manifold pressure sensor hPaIntake air temperature sensor; duty cycle %Battery voltage VIntake manifold pressure sensor, signal VCoolant temperature sensor VAir mass uSPedal value sensor 1 VPedal value sensor 2 VThrottle valve actuator, voltage 1 VThrottle valve actuator, voltage 2 VFuel tank pressure difference VStop lamp switch circuitBrake switchKickdown recognitionClutch pedal start enable switchClutch switchIdle speed detectionPedal value sensor %Air conditioningFull load detectionFuel tank level LTransmission protectionActual gearFault counter of cylinder 1Fault counter of cylinder 2Fault counter of cylinder 3Fault counter of cylinder 4Fault counter of cylinder 5Fault counter of cylinder 6Fault counter of cylinder 7Fault counter of cylinder 8Alternator IDCalculated alternator current ACalculated alternator torque NmAlternator electrical faultAlternator mechanical faultAuxiliary heater request %Coolant temperature, target value °CAmbient temperature °CFan capacity request by A/C %Fan capacity request by engine %Delayed fan switch offCorrection value of delayed fan switch off %Adaption of camshaft position, exhaust right ° KWAdaption of camshaft position, exhaust left ° KWAdaption of camshaft position, intake right ° KWAdaption of camshaft position, intake left ° KWFuel pump statusRight intake manifold tumble flap position sensor VLeft intake manifold tumble flap position sensor VSoftware statusNumber of ethanol teach-ins performedEthanol factorLast taught in ethanol portion %Terminal 61Oil levelInternal temperature of the control unit °CSelfadaptation in idle speed range, right bank of cylinders %Selfadaptation in idle speed range, left bank of cylinders %Self-adaptation in upper partial-load range, right bank of cylindersSelf-adaptation in upper partial-load range, left bank of cylindersCorrection factor for installation position of camshaft, right exhaustCorrection factor for installation position of camshaft, left exhaustCorrection factor for installation position of camshaft, right intakeCorrection factor for installation position of camshaft, left intakeAir mass, correction factorCorrection value for intake manifold pressure hPaAir mass, correction value hPaAdjustment value of start quantity (Low temperature range)Adjustment value of start quantity (Middle temperature range)Adjustment value of start quantity (Upper temperature range)Injector cylinder 1Injector cylinder 2Injector cylinder 3Injector cylinder 4Cylinder 5 injectorCylinder 6 injectorCylinder 7 injectorCylinder 8 injectorDuty cycle of three-disk thermostat %Throttle valve angle °Shut-off valve, heatLeft O2 sensor heater circuit after catalytic converterRight O2 sensor heater circuit after catalytic converterLeft O2 sensor heater circuit before catalytic converterRight O2 sensor heater circuit before catalytic converterFuel pumpCooling fan, duty factor %Camshaft position, exhaust left °Camshaft position, exhaust right °Camshaft position Intake Left °Camshaft position Intake right °Canister purge valve, duty cycle %Intake manifold switchover valve, statusElectric air pumpAir pump switchover valveIgnition angle, right bank of cylinders °Ignition angle, left bank of cylinders °Status lambda control, before CAT leftStatus lambda control, before CAT rightMB-NumberSupplierDiagnosis identityCalibration verification numberMB object number for software (code)MB object number for software (data)Fuel pump activationThrottle learningClear adaption memoryClear adaption memory (cold start)Octane adjusterFuel correction factor
Old 11-22-2018, 09:23 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Very complete, thank you!
Old 11-22-2018, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You noticed that the scanner is $120 on the site?
But Wozniak's are not famous for good customer service and shipping from Poland will cost some too, so $159 with shipping (?) from US warehouse is decent price.
Looks like just days ago they finally made new software for my 2014 diesel. I download new version and am running to test it.

Last edited by kajtek1; 11-22-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:17 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Yes I saw the $120 but also figured they added for the shipping as well. Good comment on customer support, I'm curious to see how long or if they respond to my question.
Thanks again.
Old 12-14-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
You noticed that the scanner is $120 on the site?
But Wozniak's are not famous for good customer service and shipping from Poland will cost some too, so $159 with shipping (?) from US warehouse is decent price.
Looks like just days ago they finally made new software for my 2014 diesel. I download new version and am running to test it.
I have a 2011 GL350 bluetec, Will this allow the DPF/bluedef status and regeneration? I'm new to MB and diesels. I'd love to be able to scan all of the modules and read/clear codes from them. Torque app gives me some info but I am not sure if it is completely accurate. Also looking for something that will let me see the transmission temp for the fluid service in it. Thanks!
Old 12-14-2018, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AGAIN.
MaxiEcu lists the modules they support. Don't ask middlemen, when you have easy access to manufacturer.
The scanner supports almost everything on my 2008 E320 Bluetec, so prediction for MY 2011 coverage are good.
What you might never find on ME are top luxury and rare items like dynamic seats.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL350
Sorry about that, I found the site but was in the shopping area, located the side for the modules.
Old 12-14-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Tectitgrau S210
If your looking to spend X431 money, and only really need it for MB product, I would get the OEM Mercedes Star Diagnostic System over all of the scanners you listed. If you look around (eBay, AliExpress), you can get one with a Dell D630 and a C3 or C4 multiplexer for around $400, or if you're planning on keeping your car (or MB's in general) around for a while, do like I did and get the latest C5 version with a nice Panasonic ToughBook tablet for around $600-800. The C5 can read cars up to 2018 (and newer) and is Wifi enabled so you can walk around with the laptop. I upgraded mine with a 500GB SSD drive so that the HDD won't get damages from being banged around, and now I just keep it in my spare tire well at all times.

It saved me already once when I was 200 miles from home and the front left airmatic strut developed a slow leak, which when the car detects a leak it causes the air compressor to shut off to save itself and your car drops to the ground. The compressor won't restart until you took the key out of the car and cycle it. But because I had my Xentry I was able to nurse the car home by manually activating the air compressor and manually filling the front left air strut up on demand every 5-10 minutes or so over the course of the 3 hour drive home. If I didn't have the Xentry, i would have had to have it towed home, or stopped every 5-10 minutes on the side of the freeway to turn the car off and on, so that the compressor would kick on to fill the strut for the next 5 miles, and repeat 30 times till I finally got home.

Also, the Xentry can do more than any of the systems you listed above, including programing in of new modules when you have to replace one. You can also raise the speed limiter, lower you airmatic without the need of an aftermarket module, and change various setting in the car that the other scanners cannot do. Also, the Xentry package already has the full WIS (workshop manual) installed on it with complete work instruction, wiring diagrams, parts catalog, estimated labour times, and even videos of how to do the job. Not to mention, that you can buy a USB oscilloscope from Hantek for $60 and do complete electrical diagnostics on any car.

Last edited by Ungarisch; 12-14-2018 at 06:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Oda112 (12-15-2018)