E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Battery Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 09:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E350 4Matic
Battery Replacement

I'm getting my car's battery replaced today (2014 E350 4Matic). Based on what I've read in previous threads, some suggest to go with Mercedes OEM brand while some have replaced theirs with aftermarket like AC Delco, Interstate, etc. I'm planning to replace mine with AC Delco 900 battery which is $250 installed vs. $330 installed for a Mercedes OEM battery . AC Delco has 60 month warranty with 42 month free replacement vs. I think 2 years warranty from what i've heard for the Mercedes one.

Just wanted to confirm if I'm making the right decision to not go with the Mercedes brand. The main thing is that I just don't want anything to go wrong with the electronics. The cost is not really a factor but I'm thinking 2 years vs. 5 years warranty suggest that AC Delco might be a better choice over OEM.
Old 11-23-2018, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Originally Posted by Pristine
I'm getting my car's battery replaced today (2014 E350 4Matic). Based on what I've read in previous threads, some suggest to go with Mercedes OEM brand while some have replaced theirs with aftermarket like AC Delco, Interstate, etc. I'm planning to replace mine with AC Delco 900 battery which is $250 installed vs. $330 installed for a Mercedes OEM battery . AC Delco has 60 month warranty with 42 month free replacement vs. I think 2 years warranty from what i've heard for the Mercedes one.

Just wanted to confirm if I'm making the right decision to not go with the Mercedes brand. The main thing is that I just don't want anything to go wrong with the electronics. The cost is not really a factor but I'm thinking 2 years vs. 5 years warranty suggest that AC Delco might be a better choice over OEM.
Waste of money for Mercedes brand battery.I went to pep boys.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
I was told by an M-B employee that the current M-B dealer installed batteries have a "life-time" warranty. Not sure what life-time means or if it is more than two years.
I went through this last year and finally just went to the dealership. Couldn't find an auto parts store that would replace it. Apparently M-B's are noted to require "professional installation" and that means the local stores can't do it. One told me they did it a few years ago and there were problems with the electronics and car had to go to dealership to be rebooted.
Old 11-23-2018, 02:25 PM

2014 E350 4Matic
Thanks for confirming that. Found an even better deal at battery warehouse for $165 installed.
Old 11-23-2018, 04:06 PM

2014 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by El Cid
I was told by an M-B employee that the current M-B dealer installed batteries have a "life-time" warranty. Not sure what life-time means or if it is more than two years.
I went through this last year and finally just went to the dealership. Couldn't find an auto parts store that would replace it. Apparently M-B's are noted to require "professional installation" and that means the local stores can't do it. One told me they did it a few years ago and there were problems with the electronics and car had to go to dealership to be rebooted.
I got my car's battery replaced by an independent battery shop today with an aftermarket battery and had zero problems - $159 OTD including parts and labor. It took him less than 5 minutes to pop the old one out and put the new one in - I didn't even have to adjust the clock's time after that. My car has an auxiliary battery to keep settings in place while the main battery is being replaced, so I think it varies by model and by year. I have a 2014 E350 4Matic with battery in the engine right next to the firewall. Also, I wouldn't trust just anyone to replace my car's battery so I searched online and looked at the reviews to make sure those guys knew what they are doing.
Old 11-23-2018, 10:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 S550 Executive, 2017 Volvo XC60 R design, 2009 BMW Z4 35i DCT TwinTurbo
Like I said in another Dealer Discount Coupon thread, if you're an enthusiast and driver of fine automobiles as I believe we all are, pick up a decent AGM of same or greater specs, drop it in your self. Plenty of videos out there. Always remember this, "its YOUR car" no one loves and appreciates it more than you. Even the best mechanics I deal with on all my cars don't take it as personal as I do my self. Maybe that's just me, but my stable shows it.

Last edited by Eddot; 11-23-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 11-23-2018, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic

As others said, it's not rocket science. It's $142.49 for the Champion AGM battery at Pepboys which has a 48 month warranty. The ones at Autozone and Advance Auto only come with a 3 year warranty but are only slightly cheaper. I believe the standard MB warranty on all parts is 2 years. I go to the gym so a 47 pound battery isn't that big of a deal. If you have trouble lifting/installing it, then just go to the MB dealer and use the $150 off $300 coupon I posted in a thread earlier. The car wash and free snacks might make up for the slightly higher cost as someone said they were quoted a little over $320 for the battery and install.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
A battery is a battery is a battery. The only difference is specs, warranty, and/or labor. Get your best deal and relax; you're doing no harm to your car.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,147 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by rustybear3
A battery is a battery is a battery. The only difference is specs, warranty, and/or labor. Get your best deal and relax; you're doing no harm to your car.
Yeah, unless they install it backwards or short the positive to the body with the negative connected. Which is why they should always disconnect the negative first and hook it up last. There's not much to screw up, but it can happen. Also make sure it's an AGM battery, should last longer than a regular lead acid battery and usually costs a little more.
Old 11-24-2018, 06:20 AM

Received 224 Likes on 139 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
How about this idea - have the MB dealer install the battery and use the $150 off $300 coupon deal going on now? Also, you can negotiate with the parts department - they will generally sell wholesale if you ask, so you can get that price PLUS the $150 off.

Also, I'd do the backup battery too.

Old 11-24-2018, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Eddot
Like I said in another Dealer Discount Coupon thread, if you're an enthusiast and driver of fine automobiles as I believe we all are, pick up a decent AGM of same or greater specs, drop it in your self. Plenty of videos out there. Always remember this, "its YOUR car" no one loves and appreciates it more than you. Even the best mechanics I deal with on all my cars don't take it as personal as I do my self. Maybe that's just me, but my stable shows it.
I agree. I'll do it myself (unless I have to drop the engine to replace the front oxygen sensor )

Nice stable there ...
The following users liked this post:
Eddot (11-25-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 12:07 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2004 SL 55, 2014 E550 4Matic
FCP Euro

i bought a OEM Mercedes battery from FCP Euro and it went out after about a year. I bought another one and sent FCP Euro the old one then they sent me a check for the amount of the replacement battery. This is there policy on all parts even brakes. If it wears out you get a new one. Even wear items. Can’t beat it. I’ll never pay for another battery again as long as i
have that car.