E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Electrical Drain

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 W212 sport
Electrical Drain

Car is a 2014 E350 4 matic sport with 50000 miles as of dec 2nd, car is parked outside 100% of the time as its a condo complex

On Oct 29th I went to start my car and it was dead and wouldnt start, so I go buy a new battery put it in car is fine, 2 weeks later Nov 12th go to start it for work dead again call AAA get it jumped bring it to dealership, they have the car for two weeks replaced the over head light console (said it was not shutting off and not allowing the car to go into sleep mode, they also said that an electrical drain started in early oct) said it was fixed (they did a bunch of volt drop tests I assume) pick it up Nov 27th car was fine go to start it sunday Dec 2nd car is COMPLETELY dead no lights on nothing call AAA monday morning they come cant jump it call tow truck for a tow to dealership he brings bigger jumpbox and boom car starts, but now got a message service transmission do not shift into gear and a check engine light, still bring it to dealership car dies on tow truck has to be jumped again. It is now dec 6th and i havent heard anything back yet . I have the MB certified extended warranty until 2021 but this is really making me rethink this purchase and was curious if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 AM

Received 97 Likes on 66 Posts
2016 E350 Sport 2WD
Electrical drain ,aka parasitic drain, is a common problem among all autos and trucks. The problems and solutions vary from vehicle to vehicle and no two are the same, although it can be said that radios and amps are often the problem, as well as any aftermarket devices added to the car. The basic process is to allow the car to completely shut off electrically, then with a meter monitoring draw from the battery, start checking fuses for voltage (one side to the other - if no voltage, there is no electrical flow, parasitic draw), until you find one with voltage. Pull the fuse and see if the draw has stopped, or at least diminished. That establishes the circuit where the problem or part of the problem resides. Then you search the devices on the circuit that are drawing current. Then if not completely solved, move on until all fuses have been tested and the draw source has been identified and repaired. The process can be very simple, or quite complicated and time consuming. Your dealer should be doing the testing and fixing, no doubt. If you want to see what is involved in more detail, look on Youtube for 'parasitic drain'.and there are lots of videos to illustrate the process.
Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM

2014 W212 sport
I am aware of parasitic drain i have had the car for 2 years and a few months and it has been fine up until the battery died never showing any sign of drain at all
Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
Good luck. I had a similar problem with my 2010 and in 2016 the dealership ran an "Xentry" check of all systems. Was under warranty at the time. No Problems Found. Surfaced again this past year and dealership did same thing with NPF. However, there is a TSB from 2015 indicating my particular switch (early 2010 models) is at fault. Neither M-B dealership nor MBUSA is willing to fix it. At this time, MBUSA is saying take it to dealer even though I told customer non-assistance that it had already been in twice. I have "appealed," but no results yet.
Dealership service manager says leave in Auto all the time and that should fix it. Switch does have an Off position which I prefer. Per TSB that may be the problem, but they don't care.
In my situation, the switch (?) periodically turns on the right (passenger) side parking lights in the middle of the night. May not notice it for a day or two or three. Have never used the parking lights.
Most recent time, it drained the battery completely in a less than 12 hour period. Roadside Assistance came and jump started it. Tech. would have replaced the 11 month old M-B battery if he had had one on the truck. SM refused to replace the battery or the switch.
One advantage of taking car to M-B dealer once every 12 months is that you get free Roadside Assistance.
Old 12-13-2018, 04:34 PM

2014 W212 sport
UPDATE

Picked up the car yesterday 12-12 it was the ignition switch that was randomly waking up thus draining the battery, now this is two things that are not related in anyway that have been replaced the first time it as a overhead light console that was waking up now it was the ignition switch I am hopeful that this issue is resolved but I won't know until a week or so as that is how long it took to die last time
Old 12-14-2018, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts
2010 E350 Luxury Sedan, Engine 272 (V6)
How was problem found?

Originally Posted by Jettagt8v80
UPDATE

Picked up the car yesterday 12-12 it was the ignition switch that was randomly waking up thus draining the battery, now this is two things that are not related in anyway that have been replaced the first time it as a overhead light console that was waking up now it was the ignition switch I am hopeful that this issue is resolved but I won't know until a week or so as that is how long it took to die last time
How did they discover what was causing the drain?
I have some kind of electrical problem that occasionally turns on the right side parking lights and the last time drained an 11 month old battery. May be some other problem. A member here sent me info re: possible light switch defect (known to MB).
Dealer has run Xentry tests twice and No Faults Stored which to them results in No Problem Found which results in dealer and MBUSA saying they won't fix it. Car under warranty first time it was reported and tested.
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 PM

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Tectitgrau S210
FYI, if you have a Xentry you can log into the battery sensor module (little sensor connected to your negative terminal), and see the events that occured before your drain, as in what module did not go to sleep mode and caused your drain.

See video below:

I'm having similar problems, though I think mine is more likely related to our variable voltage alternator (ie. smart changing alternator), being too aggressive on the power (fuel) savings feature and destroying my battery by not charging it enough during the short trips I take.