E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

4Matic = Impressive

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 06:11 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
'11 E350 4Matic Sport
4Matic = Impressive

Had the first opportunity to really put 4Matic to the test on my Xmas trip to Minnesota and have to say color me impressed.

Took my other half to a frozen lake to get some pictures and so they could walk on a lake (yeah southerners in the north.....ya know touristy stuff). It snowed the day before we got there but went above freezing so it was a sheet of ice under the snow on some of the secondary roads including the one to get to the lake which also had an uphill stop to leave the parking area. Rolling in with ABS rattling away I kept thinking to myself I was going to never live it down if my stepfather had to come pull me out of that parking lot as I just have some garbage Firestone all seasons on my car.

Low and behold I made it to the uphill stop just fine which was surprise #1, for fun I just punched it down from the stop and she just pulled right on out. Yes there was a lot of tire spinning and we didn't rocket off the line (it was ice mind you) but power was being rerouted all over the place, there was never any major lateral movement that had me questioning the electronic nanny abilities, it was scary stable. Honestly I think the back end may have gone sideways an inch or two before power was moved to another axle but really nothing to worry about. I know if I was in my RWD C300 I would have probably been stuck there for a minute just spinning my wheels to get to flat ground.

I liked 4Matic to deal with the rain here in Atlanta and especially when it dips to near freezing and is raining, but now I know why it really exists.
Old 12-29-2018, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 634 Likes on 472 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Good info...

My holiday travel story as I like the brakes on my 2015 E400 -

Was headin South on I57 in Missouri where there is nothing but farms to see
DIstronic holding speed - best feature ever for cruising.
Come up on a 18 wheeler tanker truck - no problem done it hundreds of times in past 400 miles
When my front tire was about even with trailer tires - Truck driver decides to go LEFT into my lane
I think he was sleeping or texting and had no reason to change lanes other then to run me off the road.

I stomp brakes or car started to brake (I am not sure who was faster but once I took over the car let me drive)
I start to steer towards median before he clips my passenger side fender.
Median had the wire fence pretty close to my side so no where for me to go but stop before he hit me.
Then I lay into horn - which finally woke him up

He missed me by inches as I could read the lettering on his trailer tires.
Car was stable and bled of speed very quickly from 85 to 45 in under second.

Wife who was sleeping wakes up cursing but see truck and then freaks out.
Truck driver ended up pulling over to right shoulder and stopping... (guess he needed to change his pants)

After all clear I just re-engage distronic and back up to speed in no time and continue on journey.

Cannot say how many times the features of the car had come into play during these interstate cruises where people should be at their best.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 316 Likes on 243 Posts
2012 E550 v8-Biturbo
Both great stories.
I'm glad to hear some good news about our cars!
Old 12-30-2018, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
My first 4M was W210, when I know their traction control was not the best with noticeable delay before it kicked in.
But I bought it in MInnesota and drove 3 days to California in the winter of decade.
Lot of trucks in ditches, several of them jackknifed on center dividers, yet the wagon kept going and going, all on sport tires with directional tread.
But living in 4-seasons in the past I used to practice ice driving a lot, so controlling side movements become natural reaction and I am glad the skill is still active over 20 years later.
Old 12-30-2018, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts
MB’s
No snow here in NY for Christmas but we took our E350 to Christmas anyways. No real amount of snow this season and that is ok with me. I run all season Nokians on my W212
Old 01-01-2019, 10:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350 Sport 4matic
I have all season Pirelli PZero Neros on mine, dumped those garbage continentals that came with it after my 3rd sidewall bubble. They have been excellent and this car goes through the snow like nobodies business. I've literally driven it through nearly a foot of unplowed snow without it flinching one bit. Never got stuck, never even felt like I wasn't going to be able to go. AND my driveway is steep, it gets up and down it no problem no matter the snow.