Power trunk closing issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2023 CLA 250, 2003 CLK320
Power trunk closing issues

2011 E350 started having issues with the power trunk closing. We are 1st owner and never experienced any issue with this before. The trunk closing or locking buttons in the trunk lid no longer turn on red and no longer work. When you press them they very faintly light up, normally they are bright red. No sound from pump. The 3rd brake light and license plate lights all work. pressing the trunk open on the driver door or remote works. Holding the trunk button on the door forward closes the trunk lid with no issue so motor is fine. I scanned the car and there was a message along the lines of trunk closing malfunction, no other errors. I erased it and it never came back. I also disconnected the battery hoping something would reset with no avail.

While messing with the trunk lid I realized that when I move the trunk lid down to about 12-14" opening the button lights turn on normal bright red and pressing them activates the trunk closing or closing with locking just as normal. Next I took apart the left side trunk lining and the plastic off the hinge. The wires are covered in a rubber tube and no visible damage. I moved the wires in varies angles all around and not seeing any changes. The buttons continue to light up in the same 12-14" lid height. Maybe some plug or wires issue inside the trunk lid by the buttons?

Anyone else had this issue before?