E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Bluetooth audio commands and steering wheel control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Bluetooth audio commands and steering wheel control

Is it just me, or are there not any commands worth anything when playing a bluetooth device? Only commands my E350 has are:
- Track 1-99
- Next Track
- Search for music (which apparently does not work with BT audio)

Likewise, only steering wheel controls are:
- volume up/down
- mute/pause/play

There is no way to skip forward/back from the steering wheel?

I suppose seeing a list of albums and requesting for one to be played is out of the question.

Thanks
Old 02-14-2019, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
When using your bluetooth connected phone the commands are indeed very limited. Other than next track and a numbered track, that's about it. Have a lot more control in Car Play by tethering your phone.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by rustybear3
When using your bluetooth connected phone the commands are indeed very limited. Other than next track and a numbered track, that's about it. Have a lot more control in Car Play by tethering your phone.
Thanks @rustybear3 .

I'm assuming Car Play is something with a newer model than my 2014, as I don't see anything in the manuals about that.

When you say tethered, you mean via the media interface cable, right? I think I saw something that suggests this gives a few more options. However, I'm not too stoked about having to plug my phone into that cable. Bluetooth just turns on with phone in my pocket.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 150 Likes on 128 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by fganter
Thanks @rustybear3 .

I'm assuming Car Play is something with a newer model than my 2014, as I don't see anything in the manuals about that.

When you say tethered, you mean via the media interface cable, right? I think I saw something that suggests this gives a few more options. However, I'm not too stoked about having to plug my phone into that cable. Bluetooth just turns on with phone in my pocket.
Unfortunately, Apple Car play didn't come into. existence until 2016 and no you can't retrofit it. It really works well with Siri and your phone, because quite frankly the bulk of the software is your phone. As of now you have to connect via the media interface cable, but supposedly future models will go wireless. I'm with you, I prefer going Bluetooth,

The following users liked this post:
fganter (02-15-2019)
Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts
'76 Triumph TR6, '14 W212 Sport, '09 Audi S5 4.2
Actually it depends on the phone. On my wife's Samsung high-zoot model, it doesn't display track info and if you skip ahead or back, it will do it once, then never again. However when I connect with my cheapie Kyocera, it accurately displays track info, and I have full functionality of the buttons, including the steering wheel buttons.

Moral of the story, get a cheaper phone.
The following users liked this post:
fganter (02-15-2019)