Let's talk about trim wrap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-21-2019 | 04:22 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Let's talk about trim wrap

This stuff is gaining in popularity, I thought it might be interesting to see what you've applications you've come up with. Might also give some ideas for someone considering using this type of material. IMO it's an inexpensive way to get a bit of a different look. I've also wound up doing some family and friends interior trim, it's sort of fun to see the immediate results.
There's a fellow on youtube, CKWraps, that got me inspired to do this, he does a great job explaining how-to.
I think that the main thing to keep in mind is that if you stick with the major brands like 3M, Vivvid, or Dennison, you would be ok regarding quality and consistency. The Chinese material seems to have more of an acidic base in the adhesive that can lead to paint issues later on, plus in most cases they don't recommend to apply on non-oem paint finishes.

I understand this isn't everybody's cup of tea, just wanted to sort of gather some different applications in one thread hopefully.

Anyway, I had done the exterior trim on my car 8/2017. Still looks like new. In my case I used a directional (brushed) finish, so I really had to pay attention to keep the brush finish parallel to the body lines. You do wind up using more material though.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...trim-wrap.html
I left the interior trim alone, it had been replaced under warranty and looks great, plus I like that gloss wood look in there.

Here's a bit more of a run-down:

3M brushed titanium on grille/exterior trim:

Vivvid medium light film on headlight eybrows and side markers (no issues with light visibility):

Vivvid light film on tail-lights:

Overall the car (to me) has a more muted look, which I like:

For a bit of variety, I did my wife's truck in Vivvid gray carbon fiber over the factory painted silver. This stuff is really nice, even has a bit of a texture:

Would be great to see what you've done or are thinking about doing.
Old 03-22-2019 | 11:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 GL550 4matic
I like the eye lids, I also did the clear section of the tails with a light smoke film, looks great.

I've been thinking about changing up to a blacked out trim look, wrapping all the chrome with some sort of black or dark gray. I just don't think I'll have the time and patience to do all of that. It would allow for a refreshing appearance since I've had the car as is nearly 4 years now. But every time I shine it up nice I still love the way it looks now.

I like that it's kind of stealthy in traffic as an unassuming sedan with nearly zero exhaust sound, but I can stomp on the gas and blow away 95% of any other cars on the road. I don't really want to loose that by calling attention to it with some unusual visual modifications. I've even floored it a few times not noticing cops right behind me or near me and they don't do anything because it's so silent, not like some hooligan in a Mustang or something making all kinds of noise and bright colors to attract attention, while still being slower.
Old 03-23-2019 | 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Great work, Mud! I’m all thumbs with this kind of stuff. Lol
Old 03-23-2019 | 09:36 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
It's definitely a personal preference sort of thing - the nice thing us that you can change it again if you want. I like Jon's comments about the quiet approach as well- I tend to like a more unassuming or subtle approach. Jon, remember you're not limited to black or gray, there may be a different finish to suit your needs. In my case the brushed finish took the chrome shine down to a satin sheen, just a more muted contrast.
If there's one thing I especially like it's the headlight eyebrow tint, to me it really highlighrs the hood swoop and gives the front a different look. So easy to do.

Last edited by Mud; 03-23-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 03-23-2019 | 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Silly question I suppose.... How thick is this material? Asking because I'm doing some experimenting lately with adhesive vinyl label (decal/sticker) die-cutting machines. The Cameo Silhouette machine cuts the most exquisite detail in vinyl wrap. So... I wonder if the machine will work with wrapping materials to cut small pieces for application in confined areas?

This is the machine I'm writing about...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Silhouett...e2&athena=true

Last edited by DFWdude; 03-23-2019 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-23-2019 | 06:59 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
DFW, it should be thin enough to work in the cutter, the standard type finishes are generally finish layer with adhesive backing applied. Thin enough that if you have a significant pain scratch the outline will be seen through the vinyl. The exception are the carbon fibers, they start thick and get even thicker as you go from 2D all the way to 5D. Meaning layers added for increased texture and depth.
That truck wrap I showed was 3D material, thicker than my MB exterior wrap, but still fine to work with.

The cutter you linked to looks pretty cool, certainly that price is right.
Old 03-23-2019 | 08:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Euros
Interesting to see that finish on the chrome trim pieces. It's a nice look/different look, which still keeps some of the factory contrast on those pieces versus doing it the standard gloss black finishes.
The following users liked this post:
Mud (03-23-2019)