Buying a 2012 E350 w 68k - also a Carvana Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:49 AM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
I would pass on this car for the main reason that they sold you a wrecked/poorly repaired vehicle with no disclosure.

And you had to spend days getting past stonewalling to work towards some repair resolution. I'd be worried about what else is there - a couple of months of mechanical warranty isn't much.

There's a lot more out there to choose from.....
The following 2 users liked this post by Mud:
DFWdude (04-15-2019), KEY08 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 09:57 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2019 Mercedes-Benz GLS
It sounds to me that you purchased a car at a price under the assumption that it hasn't been in an accident. Are they going to refund you the diminished value on the car as well?

When you want to sell the car one day, it will make a huge difference on selling price.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
If small accident wasn't reported, it will not affect resale value. How many CPO cars have painted parts and buyers are never notify?
Without seeing the car it is hard to tell what are you getting.
What strikes me is that Carvana agree to spending money for doing necessary repairs at dealers and we know how much that is going to cost.
Meaning they are putting themselves deep into red in their bookkeeping and no salesman will do that willingly.
Some companies will do it to keep the good name, but does it apply here?
The following users liked this post:
Mud (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Originally Posted by AndresInSpace
Update:

Ok everyone, I appreciate the responses.
It seems the general response is to return the car, which is entirely understandable. I guess I'm difficult.

However, I was able to get my concerns over to Carvana's Executive Resolutions department, following estimates/repair work, as well as numerous phone calls and Carana extending my money-back guarantee trial period, well past 7-days.
Carvana has actually, after passing their bulldog reps, been very understanding and fair in working with me tocompensate/cover repair and work approved at no cost to me. Not to mention extending my guarantee until later this week, almost two weeks!
Not going to defend them, however.

Overall, the experience has sucked, and I do attribute this to their poor QC/Inspection process/buying process.

However, there is a potential win factor now that Carvana is willing to play ball.

TL;DR: new hood/bumper+paintjob in frontend blended to doors.+ carvana fixing dent in roof they caused(admitted).. the car is in sound mechanical condition w additional 80+days on original carvana warranty plus I get all the shop/dealer/supplier warranties on all parts/repairs/paint being done. peace of mind after all this or restart car shopping/buying process?

The short story(details):
After much kicking and screaming on my part (figuratively), I got ahold of executive resolutions at Carvana.
They furnished me their copy of their internal inspection process and what they did to the car: which more or less confirmed the car has been in an accident that caused windshield to be broken/wiper cowl area shifted.
Carvana only shows they replaced windshield(poorly), and hood was as I have it when they bought it. Their buying process missed the bent lines an untrained eye caught, or they are fine with cars like this.

Carvana is going to cover:
replacing the windshield they put in, with a OEM mercedes windshield with proper sensors/fitment.
replacing cowl if needed and windshield replacement doesn't fix fitment/seal.
Replacing the hood, front bumper with OEM.
Full 5-layer diamond white paint on hood/bumper/driver front fender, w/ blend into driver door (w touchups to scratches/imperfections on vehicle).
The body shop is an approved Mercedes-Benz Collision Center doing the body work + paint above.

additionally carvana will be covering/compensating me:
covering full service B maintenance.
covering replacing front brakes & rotors.
covering a full alignment done since they added 4 new tires + repairs to steering/suspension components being done.
covered a full professional detail $200 inside and out.
$75 + tire kit for missing spare tire.
and misc I believe additional $500 for referral code.

They will cover me 100% for all mechanical/electrical issues for another 80+days (part of warranty every car has 100-day from day 1).

Repaired so far at no cost:
steering control column control module, front stabilizer bar links and front struts replaced.
However during repair they found another issue that needs replacing as they are playing jenga essentially.. (layered plates, all moving independently when they should be a as explained to me by tech).
Carvana will cover this, of course. This however brings my attention to MBUSA Statement: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...atement_A2.pdf
I have sent this in, most likely it will be covered pending the mechanic believes it needs replacing even if to be on the safe side. So thats no cost as well.
Tech said it's still fine just get repairs, but wouldn't worry.

Even though I've invested a lot of time into this car/repairs/estimates/phone calls etc: It is not wasted since I will be writing a full review of this on + developing a guide for those thinking of using carvana, as there is so alot about the process that is better than buying from a dealer, they are just growing too fast and I think quality has been sacrificed/things missed. I don't believe they intentionally tried to scam me or sell me a lemon; either way I decide this week.

I basically am feeling that: I get a new frontend w 2year warranty on body/paint and regular shop warranty on repair/labor and parts supplied/manf warranty if they fail. + the regular 80+days left on my carvana mechnanical/electrical warranty; feels like car would be new and more stress-free!

however after driving the car for 10+days and everything the pros are telling me, it seems the car is fine and this is just bad luck/minor accident with improper repairs performed first time around..

thats hopefuly/optimistically
pessimistically the cars a lemon?

What do you all think? and keeping in mind she has all the options I want. I am paying to buy and use the car, afterall, not showcase it.
Keep it with the confidence of new parts+repairs+warranties+paint job?
or return it and run?
hey - so here is my opinion. Even though Carvana is going to fix all of these issues, I wouldn’t feel comfortable that they would be fixing everything the right way, with quality parts, and most importantly with technicians who understand these cars. By all of the stuff they are repairing/replacing, it might seem great and the car will be like new again. But in reality, there are so many other things that can go wrong with these cars (or any car for that matter) that I just don’t think it’s worth the investment of your time (and ultimately your money). I know it has all of the options you want, but there are others out there just like. I am not sure where you are located, but I just saw a 2012 e350 on CARFAX just like the one you are talking about with only 42k miles for $17,775. The carfax looks clean and it has been serviced all along at an MB dealer. So my final take is that I know it’s difficult and somewhat attached to it already, but I will return it, get your money back, and look for a new one (maybe the one I just saw on carfax?). Take care
Old 04-16-2019, 11:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C 250
Originally Posted by kajtek1
If small accident wasn't reported, it will not affect resale value. How many CPO cars have painted parts and buyers are never notify?
Without seeing the car it is hard to tell what are you getting.
What strikes me is that Carvana agree to spending money for doing necessary repairs at dealers and we know how much that is going to cost.
Meaning they are putting themselves deep into red in their bookkeeping and no salesman will do that willingly.
Some companies will do it to keep the good name, but does it apply here?
Sounds to me that Carvana is trying to make it right. I will commend them for that. I hope they do make the car right and he has many years of driving enjoyment in your E-class!

Small accident that was pretty much cosmetic won't deter me from purchasing the car. Sounds like mechanical components are good except the front suspension which could be a result of the accident. If the car comes back from the repairs and is safe and drives/runs well, if you really enjoy the car, I'd keep it. It doesn't sound like a lemon. It sounds like it was repaired on the cheap after a minor accident. Repairing it properly and at no cost sounds like a win to me.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PHXBenz
... Repairing it properly and at no cost sounds like a win to me.
x2.
Some members post opinions who sound that just becouse carpet is dirty, the car will never drive straight.
In years of driving MB I prize the brand for making good base. Even the car was neglected by PO, you clean it, replace bushing here and there and enjoy good drive for years to come.
Old 04-16-2019, 02:00 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 340 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
x2.
Some members post opinions who sound that just becouse carpet is dirty, the car will never drive straight.
In years of driving MB I prize the brand for making good base. Even the car was neglected by PO, you clean it, replace bushing here and there and enjoy good drive for years to come.
I don't disagree completely but your perspective is from a very knowledgeable diy person and a great source of info. But it's beyond dirty carpets if someone that doesn't do a lot of their own work is spending time and money to take it in.
Regardless of what the OP wants to do, we can still give help without constantly reminding him of purchase
Old 04-16-2019, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
You've already gone through more trouble than it's worth. Send it back NOW. There are way too many flaws for the price. I've seen lower mileage examples in better condition for less money. The fact that you want the Luxury trim may limit your choices, as most would prefer the sport package. It does have a good amount of extra options on it, so that may be difficult to replace as well, but with all of the paint flaws and repaired panels I would never touch it. I also only buy cars with black interior because that would cover 90% of the interior flaws you found. Light colored interiors look like crap after just a few years, black looks great many years later. I would take one look at this car off the truck and say "load it back up"! I'm sure I could find you a 2014+ facelift body style with most of the options and lower miles for cheaper. Maybe I should start a car buying service?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 Luxury
Updates:
I have told Carvana I want to return the car. They have agreed. I will be charged $1 per mile over 500 (they extended the 400 to 500, after I asked twice..) .. I am over $10 or $20.. whatever. I used the gas in the car. We're even.
I will receive (according to them) my deposit back, the shipping fee they charged me, and reimbursement for the cost of inspection I had done at my shop.

Reasoning:
Despite them trying to play ball, the car has too many flaws and issues that I can't overlook come time I want to trade it in (1-2 years).

I do not trust the quality of Carvana inspection process, repair work, or quality of parts nor fitment of parts.. especially for these cars, and that is made well apparent with this endeavor.

Bottom line:
I don't believe the accident was a small fender bender.. if it was, the car wouldn't need 10k+ in mechanical and repairs to panel damage, then needing a repaint. That's basically a totaled car if this damage/repair was claimed through insurance.
All this just makes the car harder for me to sell later on, with the worry of electrical gremlins and 'what else is wrong' stress.

I do not endorse Carvana. They got some stellar customer service bulldogs and higher ups, but their underlying business is to churn out cars..like a vending machine.
The inspection process is not a quality inspection done by a competent master tech who specializes in your specific vehicles make and knows their habits.
The 'reconditioning' of the vehicle, is done at the most minimal cost with the emphasis on speed than quality it seems.
The parts used in repairs they make are not OEM, let alone I am unsure if they are even proper fits considering the windshield this car had.(not to specs per MB body shop)
The quality of their paint jobs..

My only gripe is wondering if I am able to/should report the issues found to carfax so the history of car is more accurate and whoever they try selling it to later on get's a fairer deal..

I will be updating with a more in depth review/guide possibly.

Last edited by AndresInSpace; 04-16-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Mud (04-17-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 10:56 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic sedan
Honestly, I think you made a good choice and for all the right reasons. Best of luck on your continued search.
Old 04-17-2019, 12:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 384 Likes on 314 Posts
2011 E550 P2 4M Sedan
OP, sounds like you came out on the better end of this. Wonder if they will just stick this car back in their vending machine and see if someone else buys.
KEY08 (04-17-2019)
Old 04-17-2019, 12:06 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
Originally Posted by thefisch
OP, sounds like you came out on the better end of this. Wonder if they will just stick this car back in their vending machine and see if someone else buys.
That's almost a sure bet.

To the OP, Probably the best choice to make. Hopefully you will have better luck the next time.
Old 04-17-2019, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OP wrote
I went to 10+ dealerships locally, have done numerous test drives at them in several e350s 2012-2013 in both sport and luxury(lux hands down better ride). I have done my RD, and from a financial standpoint, carvana actually makes more sense.
So that doesn't sound like happy ending to me, but restart of long shopping hassle.
Too bad it did not work with Carvana.
Good luck shopping this time.
Old 04-18-2019, 08:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
I think the OP made the right decision. There are plenty of these cars that have been cared for dare I say pampered. No reason to buy one that has been beat up. Good luck with your search.
Old 04-27-2019, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 794 Likes on 597 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
I came across this thread and wanted to put in my 2 cents, especially as someone considering a W212 E350 for sale by Carvana.

Since 2015, I have purchased 5 cars from Carvana - including a 2014 W204 C350 that was pristine. I've also referred 8 people in my family and friends circle who have completed purchases as well. In my experience, most of the cars have arrived somewhat dirty - they definitely do not clean them to the standard I would consider acceptable, but then again the cars I've bought from traditional dealers have been the same. I'd rather the car be dirty that have armor-all everywhere (that stuff is hard to remove).

Carvana has always bent over backwards to make sure I was happy. For example, I bought a G37 with a tan interior from them in 2016 that came with floor mats that were generic. I told Carvana I really wanted the genuine mats, with the logos, but that I also wanted them to be black. They actually asked me for a link to black OEM floor mats and I found some on eBay, provided them with the link, and they purchased and shipped them to me. I would considered this above and beyond, especially as the car was 4 years old and their disclaimers say that original accessories may no longer be present. They also forked out $400 for a spare Mazda key, $300 for a spare Infiniti key, and $150 for a full detail on one of the cars just because I said I was unhappy that the wood trim on the interior seemed to be coated in something sticky.

Currently, I am looking at a couple of different 2016 W212s they have in inventory. I've shopped locally and for similar equipment and mileage, Carvana is $3000-5000 cheaper. The cars are off lease, one owner cars with 30-35k miles and carfax shows they were maintained at Benz dealers. Both still under factory warranty.

I'm not a paid spokesperson or anything - I've been on this forum off and on for over 10 years - I just strongly believe this should be the way cars are bought. Buying cars at physical dealerships is an utterly miserable experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by LILBENZ230:
fganter (04-28-2019), kajtek1 (04-27-2019)
Old 04-27-2019, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
In my experience, most of the cars have arrived somewhat dirty - they definitely do not clean them to the standard I would consider acceptable,.
I read it as you had them shipped long distance?
I read about Carvana dial-a-car towers and they come down to the door perfectly clean.
Sure would be nice to pick them up in person, but I heard the towers are only in AZ?
They do have plans to expand, so who knows how the future will look like.
Than future suppose to be electric, self-driven cars..... oh well.....

Last edited by kajtek1; 04-27-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 04-28-2019, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 E350 4MATIC Sedan
I too had perused Carvana quite heavily in my quest to search for my E350. I have not seen any of their cars in person, but from the descriptions in this thread, it seems that many of the CPO units I've seen at dealers were not anything better. I went to a Mercedes dealer that is in one of the highest income zip codes in the country near my home, and the CPO E350 had dog hairs and children's cereal strewn all over the carpet. There was very visible body damage in the underside of the front bumper cover even upon a quick glance. They were asking for full dealer CPO price for that one, whereas Carvana can regularly undercut them by at least $1500-$2000. I suppose the difference is that one year of CPO warranty.

I ended up buying a CPO from another dealer in the area. It was in pretty decent condition cosmetically (at least I couldn't find the dings and scratches very easily until after I've had the car for over 2 weeks). But given that the buyer has the choice to reject any shipment with Carvana, I don't really see a difference in terms of risks in buying online vs from a dealer. In fact, with a traditional dealer deal, 99% of the time there is no "take-backs" (Mercedes CPO gives you 5 days/250 miles to change your mind, apparently if I remember correctly). I know two out-of-state colleagues who've bought from Carvana (both coincidentally bought Lexus GS350s) and they both can't stop singing praises about them.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:52 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
Originally Posted by onyxtape
I went to a Mercedes dealer that is in one of the highest income zip codes in the country near my home, and the CPO E350 had dog hairs and children's cereal strewn all over the carpet. There was very visible body damage in the underside of the front bumper cover even upon a quick glance. They were asking for full dealer CPO price for that one, whereas Carvana can regularly undercut them by at least $1500-$2000. I suppose the difference is that one year of CPO warranty.
I wouldn't rely on the zip code demographics. I would rely on google reviews (or like) for the dealer. It sounds like that particular dealer is not very good at selling used cars.

I bought my 5 year old E350 from a Honda dealer and it was in immaculate shape - certainly no cereal on the carpet!
Old 04-28-2019, 06:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
E350
I read about Carvana dial-a-car towers and they come down to the door perfectly clean.
Sure would be nice to pick them up in person, but I heard the towers are only in AZ?
They do have plans to expand, so who knows how the future will look like.
They've had one in Tampa, FL for at least a year, so it appears they've already begun expanding.
Old 04-29-2019, 02:51 PM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
There are 17,000 + new car dealers in the U.S. and more than twice that number of used car dealers. The process of acquiring used inventory is competitive and relatively limited in scope. You can buy from the general public which most every dealer does. You can buy from wholesalers who basically buy from dealers or the public. You can can buy from the auction where dealers take their surplus, non-selling, and less than quality desired inventory. Or, you can trade them in but for obvious reasons new car dealers are going to get the better quality units. New car dealers also get the first choice of lease returns before they are taken to auction for general sale possibly to other dealers.

Dealers do not make $4-5,000 gross profit per unit on uses car sales. On a national average, the number is closer to $2,000. The re-conditioning process varies from dealer to dealer but can easily average $1500 for a quality inventory. The certification process can add $1,000-1,800 to that number as the dealer pays the manufacturer for the extended warranty benefit. The idea that any used car source consistently can deliver like quality used cars for $4,000 less than others reinforces the adage "There is a sucker born every minute!". While there are mistakes occasionally made where cars are sold too cheap, they happen very seldom for those who stay in business.

The Carvana business model is simple. Hype the idea of selling cars to people on their couch over the internet. They deliver a product that has had very little detail and recon work done while charging people a fee for transporting these units around. They hype the "idea" of selling from an automated parking garage that has been failing for years and calling it a "vending machine" for cars. Those in the business can explain how uneducated the buying public is to the actual quality of a used car. When and if the shortcomings of the delivered product is brought to their attention, Carvana's approach is to kill the buyer with kindness and co-operation while spending some of the money that should have been spent before delivery.

The consumer purports to hate the buying experience they receive from the traditional brick and mortar dealership. They think the people involved are too aggressive, crooked and call them "stealerships". On the other hand, these same people, when selling an inferior product sight unseen on the internet... are suddenly perceived to be "Angels from another Mother"! It would be very naive to think one is going to get a superior product dumped on their door step for far less money by an institution lower down the food chain.
The following 2 users liked this post by JALLEN4:
KEY08 (04-30-2019), Mud (04-29-2019)
Old 04-29-2019, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

What you are missing in those logics JALLEN4 is difference between dealing with single car and mass production, where service cost can be compared by 10-fold.
When most of MB dealers can take 1, 2, maybe 10 of CPO cars and have couple of mechanics to do PPI, Carvana is having whole plant, like Ford invented it 100 + years ago.
CPO cars should not be painted, what lowers the volume, Carvana has their own painters on the plant, so different approach.
At the end it always come to personal care by employee who does final inspection. Is he rested after good vacations, or working with mind occupied by long weekend starting tomorrow?
Old 04-30-2019, 08:09 AM

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
What you are missing in those logics JALLEN4 is difference between dealing with single car and mass production, where service cost can be compared by 10-fold.
When most of MB dealers can take 1, 2, maybe 10 of CPO cars and have couple of mechanics to do PPI, Carvana is having whole plant, like Ford invented it 100 + years ago.
CPO cars should not be painted, what lowers the volume, Carvana has their own painters on the plant, so different approach.
At the end it always come to personal care by employee who does final inspection. Is he rested after good vacations, or working with mind occupied by long weekend starting tomorrow?
Very much the opposite is true. Dealers re-condition millions of cars yearly in facilities where the basic costs are already paid for by their retail business. Parts handling, Admin, insurance, real estate, property taxes, phones, etc. are all offset by their normal sales and service business. The cost of labor is regionally determined and no less or more than the dealer's model. The acquisition and delivery of parts and supplies is already handled in their normal operations.

We are talking the re-conditioning process not the manufacturing of vehicles. A central re-con facility brings nothing to the table the dealer does not already have the advantage of but does introduce stiffer transportation costs to the equation. It makes a good story for the hype machine. At the end of the day the ultimate Carvana goal is the exit strategy not the building of a profitable long term operation. Convincing people it is the wave of the future drives stock prices and return on investment.
KEY08 (04-30-2019)
Old 04-30-2019, 01:10 PM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
yeah, sending it back was the right decision. Any car that is hit hart enough to "SHIFT THE COWL" is way too hard of a hit for me, definitely not just a "fender-bender". Plus, I bought my 2012 E550 2 months ago for less than this E350($15.9k) with just a few more miles, and my car is fantastic. Keep looking, you'll find a good one.