Buying a 2012 E350 w 68k - also a Carvana Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2019, 04:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 E350 Luxury
Buying a 2012 E350 w 68k - also a Carvana Review

Hello all,
New to the forums, and new to MB ownership (or well about to be).
Coming over from a 2003 Mustang GT! Quite the difference.

Bought a 2012 E350 Luxury trim w 68k miles and I'm in LOVE with this car despite already having work done on it (under warranty however). Oh and not fond of the rims(wanna swap? )

2012 e350 lux 68k miles

Some of the options she has:
real leather seats
blind assist
park assist
lane assist
mercedes multi contour driver seat w massager - absolutely freaking love this
heated and ventilated (ac) front seats - ventilated AC seats. in south florida. is amazing. Just saying

To do if I keep:
Tint
Rims
Wrap(?)

Clean pics
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...tQ?usp=sharing

More Pictures and Carvana review starts now
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WNvYdcTCbe5Y0Y

NOTE: I am not 'stuck with the car' as some of you believe. I am within my 7 day return guarantee. I have used the car to continue car shopping during this time.
Don't reply and comment that I'm being whiney and it's a used car and they have things wrong/paint chips etc.. I get that, I really truly do, however this is simply a case of BAD QC and them not doing things properly to sell the vehicle in optimal conditions AND safe conditions. Also don't comment saying I'm a lazy millenial and I should expect this from buying a car online. I went to 10+ dealerships locally, have done numerous test drives at them in several e350s 2012-2013 in both sport and luxury(lux hands down better ride). I have done my RD, and from a financial standpoint, carvana actually makes more sense. thank you. sit down.

sit down. strap in and buckle up.

Hopefully this helps someone using Carvana and provides some insight into things.
If you're interested to see the vehicle as they display it: https://www.carvana.com/search/2000242122

I have to take the vehicle in for some things, unfortunately my carvana buying experience has not been as smooth as others has been(supposedly).
(btw If you need a referral code, pm me after reading this if you still want one, try the carvana slot machine is what the coin machine should be called)

Car was filthy on delivery, and I am not just saying dirty from the haul on the bed over to be delivered. I mean it was never washed properly nor a quality detail actually done to it. You can see that from the online photos the wash/detail they did still left dirt on the skirts! You can see how the car arrived in the photos, dirt mark visible in online photo was still on car at delivery. Considering this is a luxury vehicle, you would think they would go the extra mile on it.. NOPE.

I have already had my indy mechanic do a prelim inspection and found tie rods and sway bars bad(yikes), carvana warranty have agreed to repair.
engine and tranny are supposedly good, tech says they sound good to him/feel good. will test more after repairs are done. altho i hear these engines are bulletproof
I feel a lurch forward or back when the car is on a incline and I change from park to D or R(yes my foot is on brake)... is this normal?
car maintenance records seem to on time, albeit they look bad at first glance.. it seems they were lazy and didnt log full service done and just wrote 'emissions passed' for minimal clearance from state.. idk WHY people do this.. they ask for the mechanics to NOT push the info up to national DB for maintenance being done!! like their private info is being published or something! If you're one of these people, please smack yourself for me. Is there a legit reason why people should do this?

Any things I should explicitly get my indy to check? Already planning on getting oil change, fluid change, transmission flush done and logged properly. Trying to get carvana to cover that considering they shoul have serviced the vehicle to manufacturer's recommended maintenance for the mileage/age if it hasn't had it done this year or service is due soon. (68k/7years old, is/was due for the added transmission flush). Or am i wrong about the service and expecting them to have done it and reported it?

Car has many more cosmetic issues than appears to show in online photos.. trim was missing and they admitted to removing it to paint, and not putting it back on.. I have had to get my case escalated to HQ manager, finally, since day 1 had have them stonewalling me starting off from this simple issue... initial response for everything that silverrock wasnt covering was $250 only. the two pieces of trim themselves cost $250. Installation and parts was estimated at $400. I am not installing it myself. RIDICULOUS that I would have to cover the install myself when THEY removed it! I didn't buy this at a freaking auction!

other issues:
large scratch on front wheel fender like they scratched it pulling it out of the spot before delivery (unfortunately I took only one bad pic in the folder wiht the trailing end of the scratch visible, in photo where main focus is depicting missing trim on vehicle).
vanity plate removal(going to have to sand those holes down and touch up)
most the floor mats were stained, back seats were pretty bad looking with a repaired rip/tear behind the driver.
left tail pipe ever so slightly sticks out more than right side.. probably from emissions?
they had completely replaced the headrest, and even left the price tag on the damn thing (i mean this is just terrible QC, again)

They won't tell me what type of oil they used in the 'supposed' oil change they did that isn't reported to the carfax/showing in service history.
They won't share any details/photos of the vehicle state upon them receiving it and the work they have done to it, although one of the reps had let slip the reason the trim was missing. I still had to escale to HQ and am awaiting a conversation to discuss resolution for not just trim but generally entire stressful process this has been.

Carvana is a gamble, you can either get a stress free ride and be super happy and things work out, or you will get something that fell through the cracks and you will have to be vigilant in your documentation of the car upon it's delivery/pickup and get it inspected by a certified indy mechanic you trust ASAP, and deal inspectoins/estimates/multiple emails and calls/ and generally everything they say you avoid using them!

My 'final' resolution will hopefully be reached on Monday after HQ /Corporate calls me back regarding everything. It was pretty disheartening/appalling that they brushed my cocerns as they are instructed to do by their internal guidelines.
The top three lines repeated by the call reps are: 'Return it and pick a new one' or 'we dont cover cosmetic damage' and 'see if silverrock covers it'.

Yet after I explain that this car fell through the cracks and their inspection was crap, the detailing was non-existant, and that important mechanical parts of the vehicle were not inspected properly/replaced properly, and generally everything done to the car was poorly done and THAT is a HUGE issue, not just me trying to get them to pay for things.

Right?

Is it just me or do companies now expect you to just be happy that they are even providing a service instead of actually making sure customers are satified with the service and it is quality..

EDIT: Is it possible to get dealership to upgrade head unit for android auto to work?..or directions where to tinker in engineering settings or w/e to see if I have or can?

Last edited by AndresInSpace; 04-07-2019 at 10:51 PM. Reason: clarified , added pics etc
Old 04-07-2019, 08:24 AM

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 E350 2015 ML250 2002 Z06 CORVETTE
How can you possibly complain about the results of your purchase? You shop until you drop looking at legitimate retailers and then actually think you are saving money by buying a 68,000 mile used car sight unseen. They ship it to you on a truck without even doing a detail. Most likely they bought it sight unseen from another fool who sold it to them on the internet. They pick it up, do nothing to it, and then advertise it cheaper than the competition who actually try to offer a good product. They sell it with a Micky Mouse warranty that saves them the cost of actual reconditioning and then will argue with you on everything you want fixed. You got what you paid for and some day might figure out some things just don't work well on a computer!
Old 04-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
2012 E350 sedan
Thanks for the post. Personally I would never by a car from Carvana, Off Lease Only etc and you have just confirmed my suspicions, again. For many folks like myself there are so many E series cars coming off lease in major metro areas that a CPO is only a few $k more (if any) than the cheapo places. I buy all my cars as long distance, sight unseen CPOs in SoCal. I fly in to sign the paperwork so I still have the opportunity to say "no" but have never needed to.
Old 04-07-2019, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,123 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Android Auto hit the market in 2015... not even dreamed of when this 2012 E-Class was manufactured. So no, it's not available through programming in this car, and not available unless one replaces the head unit. (See the major thread in this forum). For the price of this upgrade, one could buy a 2014 model, instead (and still not have AA)..

For all the delivery problems cited -- not to mention overpriced -- I would have passed on this car. TexasCarsDirect has a 2012 E-Class Coupe with P1, P2, Pano Roof, full Sport Package, etc., for $2,200 less than the $17.1K the OP paid. Slightly more mileage, but on a 7-year old car, what difference does 17K miles matter? Not to mention that TCD does a proper, dealer-quality pre-delivery prep and detail. Sorry to sound negative, but the cautionary tale about Carvana was helpful to read... and confirms what I thought about the gimmick. https://www.texascarsdirect.com/sear...KJ5KB5CF164370
Old 04-07-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic
I personally would return and run away from this car. Too many imperfections tell me this vehicle has not been taken care off. Doors were repainted for whatever reason and tons of other nicks, scratches etc
Old 04-07-2019, 01:25 PM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
This is my take from an older perspective. Your generation is used to buying everything online, so why not cars? You can even shop in your Comfy Pants with your emotional support animal. Carvana is aimed at your generation, and you took the bait. I window shop online for cars and bikes all the time, but if I were to buy one, it would be in person.

None of the pictures in the ad showed anything up close, and most cars look ok from 10 feet away. But how can you know if you like a car without driving it? How can you know if there are any issues without driving it first?

If you google carvana problems and issues, you get hits on carvanas site that show them at a 4.7. Reddit on the other hand has a bunch of critical reviews along with some other sites. I get it that the internet is filled with critics, but you gotta be cautious with new startups selling high dollar items. If Amazon ever gets into the used car business, then maybe I would bite...

You did research the car, but you made a decision that I wouldnt have made and you now regret. I've made bad decisions too, and I hopefully learned from them. Return the car if you can or just live with it. And don't get mad if folks here tell you what they think, thats what forums are about. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
The following users liked this post:
Mud (04-07-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Sorry to hear what's happened. I've bought 3 cars over the internet - two arrived on a carrier and one I made as a road-trip purchase. These were much less expensive than yours but a dollar is still a dollar. I remember literally holding my breath at the first start-up and backing off the carrier. I was very lucky, all was good and they provided good service but it's really a crapshoot, not one I would rush to do again.
When I decided to get a MB, it was strictly hands-on to see/drive the car and to get it looked at by indy shop knowledgeable in MB before purchase. I also verified past maintenance and ability at the time to qualify for extended factory warranty.

Just looking at the overall condition, I wonder if this car has spent a life as a leased or past auctioned vehicle, which typically don't see a lot of love. When I see a vehicle with lots of what are described as "minor cosmetics", almost always it's been a good indicator of the mechanicals generally being ignored. People that enjoy their vehicles at least keep them looking good. That's my take.

So with that said, you've got some work ahead of you it seems. How mechanically are you or want to be? That's a big factor in the impact to your wallet. I would suggest setting up a baseline for ALL maintenance items, oil, filters, transmission fluid/filter, etc. so you have a starting point. There's other things that are not uncommon - engine/transmission mounts as an example - that may come up as you get more familiar with the car. With some searching here you can find a ton of info, plus get some input on needed repairs.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:06 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
As I said, I hope this helps some people deciding on Carvana and provides insight into their process.

This is not a thread to bash millenials or online shopping. Appreciate the negativity around the subject I specficially addressed at start of post to avoid these types of half-assed 'i told you so' replies revolving around my generation and online shopping:
@aquinob and @JALLEN4
Apparently neither of you read my post fully or specifiically the starting 'NOTE:' section.

Let me just get my 'comfy pants' and with my 'emotional support animal' before I post on this online forum instead of writing a letter in reply and sending in on horseback like you remember in the 'good ole days before millenials and this interweb thing':

Yes, I took a chance with Carvana, I knew that.
I still have time to return the car. I am still car shopping. I am within my 7-day money back guarantee. I am not ' stuck with my decision' as believed sounding from your replies. Tell me what dealer lets you test drive for 7 days? and guess what else is the kicker? Carvana provided me a car to use, so that I've been actually able to drive to the dealers around me and not have to pay $80 in lyft/uber fees just so i can: get to work, go car shopping after work, go home, repeat x7. This alone was WELL worth the $199 shippin I paid to get the car, which I receive back if I return the car. Try getting a rental car place to give your money back when you return the car.

I am not going to argue semantics, logistics, or financial reasoning why Carvana maybe a potential better option for people. If you fail to see value in what they are trying to provide, then you are not using logic and are repying based on assumptions and hearsay.

Regarding the assumption your dealer does more work than carvana or carmax or any other dealer:
What dealer doesn't buy cars from auction, from offlease programs, from CPO vehicles on their 3rd owner? ALL THEM DO THE SAME THING. If you believe CarMax or your local dealer on main street, my town, usa is any different, you are dilusional. The only difference is an actual MB authorized official dealer probably won't buy them from auction(at least this is what I've been told), but they have no problem selling the same quality car CarMax is selling or Carvana is selling.
They still do 'minimal work' to turn it around and flip it. I test drove a 2012 e350 Sport with 120k miles on it. They want 10 k for the car. Is it a 'safer bet' than carvana? Maybe. Maybe not. This is coming from an official MB dealer in the autonation family. The car had issues very apparent in the test drive, clicking from steering while turning any which way, loose sway bars, suspension more stiff than usual like bushing or some shocks near time to replace, brakes needed replacing but weren't 'low enough', various scratches here and there, etc... So you see, they did minimal work to sell the car and make a profit as well...
The whole 'they only do the bare minimum' applies to ALL dealers.. you're ignorant if you think otherwise. It's a business. None of them do extra work without you nagging them to do it as part of the deal.

Not trying to fight or start flaming thread, just don't reply negatively about my personal decision to use Carvana instead of XYZ Local Dealer, or the fact that I'm a millenial using online shopping(omg thats evil!). You can reply negatively about my experience, say "what do you except? You've seen the horror stories why would yours be any different?"
and thats exactly why.
A company should be responsible for their dealings. You all just flame bait the poor souls that have used carvana and them ripping into them like they are idiots for even trying to use Carvana, is disgusting and I will not engage in conversations with people that have this mentality.

Giving another chance but further replies that iterate this same 'millenial' 'online shopping' 'you got what you deserved' hateful and subjective view will be ignored.

PS. @JALLEN4 I am a programmer. Things work very well for me on the computer. Maybe they just don't work well for you?

Last edited by AndresInSpace; 04-07-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:19 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
Appreciate your response!
I have a trusted Indy mechanic down here in SF. Merc Werks. I have already gone over with them the cost of maintenance and what I can expect to replace going forward.

I don't believe I mentioned, but I believe they suspected the intial owner was the dealer using the car as a service loaner. I believe avg was 12k miles year
Second owner drove the car quite lightly, 8k year avg

Originally Posted by Mud
Sorry to hear what's happened. I've bought 3 cars over the internet - two arrived on a carrier and one I made as a road-trip purchase. These were much less expensive than yours but a dollar is still a dollar. I remember literally holding my breath at the first start-up and backing off the carrier. I was very lucky, all was good and they provided good service but it's really a crapshoot, not one I would rush to do again.
When I decided to get a MB, it was strictly hands-on to see/drive the car and to get it looked at by indy shop knowledgeable in MB before purchase. I also verified past maintenance and ability at the time to qualify for extended factory warranty.

Just looking at the overall condition, I wonder if this car has spent a life as a leased or past auctioned vehicle, which typically don't see a lot of love. When I see a vehicle with lots of what are described as "minor cosmetics", almost always it's been a good indicator of the mechanicals generally being ignored. People that enjoy their vehicles at least keep them looking good. That's my take.

So with that said, you've got some work ahead of you it seems. How mechanically are you or want to be? That's a big factor in the impact to your wallet. I would suggest setting up a baseline for ALL maintenance items, oil, filters, transmission fluid/filter, etc. so you have a starting point. There's other things that are not uncommon - engine/transmission mounts as an example - that may come up as you get more familiar with the car. With some searching here you can find a ton of info, plus get some input on needed repairs.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
For last 25 years almost all MB I bought and I bought lot of them for whole family were bought via internet.
So double checking car condition is always advised, but my son took a job as a technician for Carvana last winter and even they don't sell where I live, the concept sounds pretty exciting.
I am not talking about "dial a car" towers, what is is a gadget for wife, but they actually have whole plant, where all the cars are inspected, fixed and suppose the 3D camera they use for online pictures is $50,000 tool.
IMHO 7 days money back guarantee + 100 days repair warranty - speaks for itself about their honesty and they mostly deal with cars still having factory warranty, so beside the 7 days, most of the buyers are covered way beyond.
My impression about this purchase is bad luck on both sides. Used car resale is tricky business and 68k miles is not making it new car, but on other hand, I've been buying MB with over 100k miles and never had big issue with them.
I will wait for final report how Carvana dealt with the issues.
I don't think the price was too good deal, so if they don't deliver the service - nothing wrong with using the 7 days
Side note, most of the members here, when they buy used car, the choose CPO.
CPO cars cost usually $3-4000 more than non-CPO, or $5-6000 more than from Carvana. Different level of service.

Last edited by kajtek1; 04-07-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 03:54 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2013 E350 4Matic
I also bought a used car online before seeing it in person, and it was not what I expected but the difference was that it was 2 years old and I could(and did) purchase a Ford extended warranty until 8 years/ mileage of your choice(up to 150K miles). The car came with a 7 Day/300 mile limit return type of deal and I was going to return it when I first saw it. It was brought in filthy / no detail but mechanically I was good to go because it had a factory warranty and possibility of extending up to 8 years. If I were to do it ever again, I would make sure its returnable, and if it is outside of any warranty coverage I would have it inspected by trusted mechanic. On a car like yours, I would throw in a towel and find a CPO or lease return. It has been painted, has some mechanical problems, needs tons of touchups etc.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Mud
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 341 Likes on 242 Posts
2011 E-350 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by AndresInSpace
Appreciate your response!
I have a trusted Indy mechanic down here in SF. Merc Werks. I have already gone over with them the cost of maintenance and what I can expect to replace going forward.

I don't believe I mentioned, but I believe they suspected the intial owner was the dealer using the car as a service loaner. I believe avg was 12k miles year
Second owner drove the car quite lightly, 8k year avg
I went back and read your initial post about the maintenance stuff - yes I still think/suggest that you start fresh with the oil change, etc. based on the unknowns at this time. Plus more obvious stuff like brakes, suspension. Not to start rebuilding the car, just so you know where you are with it. I think that the cost part is your judgement, compare cost of this work vs more for a local model that may have had this stuff identified and done. But that's your call. However, I would check body very carefully to see if it's been involved in anything more than a fender bender. These cars have parts stuffed everywhere and an accident can cause later headaches. For me, that would be the deal-breaker, along with any major mechanical troubles found.

Don't do just a transmission flush, be sure the filter is changed as well. Also suggest that your mechanic (may have done this already) use a scantool that accesses the vehicle modules (more than generic mode 1-4 obd2 scantool). That can help ensure that all is well within the specific controlled components.

Forgive the oversimplification if you know this. You're a computer guy, so look at the car as an assortment of pc's (modules) on a central gateway network (CANBUS), reporting to each other and to a central server (ECM). A malfunctioning module can also cause confusion to other modules and sometimes if a generic obd2 code is thrown it doesn't really tell the whole story, can cause you to go down different rabbitholes to solve. Using a scantool that can access modules (obd2 modes 5-10) can help identify and isolate issues, even those that may be pending or stored. So especially for an unknown vehicle, that can be of value. I have an icarsoft V2 for MB and also just got an Autel MD808Pro for this specific reason.

So if the mechanicals are good, then the cosmetics are fairly straightforward to get squared away. I've done tint, trimwrap, rims, etc. to make my car my own, so certainly there's a lot of options out there for you. The vast majority of the folks here are knowledgeable and can help. Sure you'll get straight opinions but that's ok. Just have to start somewhere. My son got a great deal on a 99 Civic a few years ago that turned into CivicFromHell lol. We solved it though.

Last edited by Mud; 04-07-2019 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:15 PM

I am not a programer, computer expert, iPhone guru, or any other techno savant. I am though old, worn out, grandfatherly, and down to only being able to run five miles a day and lift weights three times a week. What I am also is an automotive sales expert. I owned and operated new and used car dealerships for forty years, been responsible for the sale of tens of thousands of both new and used vehicles, and get paid large sums to testify in court as an expert witness on the business.

When you come on a public forum, you do not get the right to control the conversation direction nor the ability to dictate the type of response you receive. When you ordain yourself as having the ability to offer an unsolicited review of a public company...do not be surprised when others find your misadventures humorous. That is what makes a forum of interest...various opinions!

I personally think the idea of being able to buy used cars from a volume source sight unseen is ridiculous for the buyer and a way to prey on those who obviously have no knowledge or experience in the endeavor. By the nature of the business, a company like Carvana never has access to the better quality used vehicles. They sell no new cars and therefore do not get the trades a normal dealer will nor the premium lease returns. They are relegated to purchasing 100% of their inventory from the rejects of new car dealers at auction, off their lot, daily rental car companies, or a minimal number purchased from the general public. From my past experience I can assure you all this is not a winning combination. I can also assure you buying on-line from this type retailer is far different from buying a certified vehicle from a new car franchised business on-line.

While sitting at home and buying a lot of things is great, until you start getting lifetime warranties, cars are not a great bet. There is no substitute for looking at, driving, and having someone who knows what they are doing to inspect it. Of course then again I only did it for a living and simply don't understand the computer age.
Mud (04-11-2019)
Old 04-07-2019, 05:24 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
I do not expect to control replies, however you can see how this reply from you is much clearer in what information you are trying to convey, than the first one that came across as just bashing me.
"There is no substitute for looking at, driving, and having someone who knows what they are doing to inspect it."

100% agree, but that is why you get 7 days guarantee money back, bascially 7 day test drive. I got my Indy to inspect it, and they are one of the best shops for mercs down here.

I do appreciate your insight jallen4 and I will keep this in mind. I realize the cars they get may not be same standard as dealer, but then again I've been around all the dealers in my area and I can't say the quality is any better unless its CPO.
Thanks! Sorry if I got defensive, just sick of people bashing millenials when it's simply a misunderstanding / different way to do things.

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
I am not a programer, computer expert, iPhone guru, or any other techno savant. I am though old, worn out, grandfatherly, and down to only being able to run five miles a day and lift weights three times a week. What I am also is an automotive sales expert. I owned and operated new and used car dealerships for forty years, been responsible for the sale of tens of thousands of both new and used vehicles, and get paid large sums to testify in court as an expert witness on the business.

When you come on a public forum, you do not get the right to control the conversation direction nor the ability to dictate the type of response you receive. When you ordain yourself as having the ability to offer an unsolicited review of a public company...do not be surprised when others find your misadventures humorous. That is what makes a forum of interest...various opinions!

I personally think the idea of being able to buy used cars from a volume source sight unseen is ridiculous for the buyer and a way to prey on those who obviously have no knowledge or experience in the endeavor. By the nature of the business, a company like Carvana never has access to the better quality used vehicles. They sell no new cars and therefore do not get the trades a normal dealer will nor the premium lease returns. They are relegated to purchasing 100% of their inventory from the rejects of new car dealers at auction, off their lot, daily rental car companies, or a minimal number purchased from the general public. From my past experience I can assure you all this is not a winning combination. I can also assure you buying on-line from this type retailer is far different from buying a certified vehicle from a new car franchised business on-line.

While sitting at home and buying a lot of things is great, until you start getting lifetime warranties, cars are not a great bet. There is no substitute for looking at, driving, and having someone who knows what they are doing to inspect it. Of course then again I only did it for a living and simply don't understand the computer age.

Last edited by AndresInSpace; 04-07-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:42 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
Yes he has done this,

Only fault code was a steering column module which they are going to replace under warranty, in addition to the two mechnical issues (tie rods, sway bars in front).

It seems scary at first, but don't tie rods/sway bars need replacing occasionally? they wear out especially if vehicle as driven hard. I'm just not sure how true this is for mercs(never owned a merc before), but obviously you shouldn't have to replace these if the car is low mileage. If this was an issue on a 38k mileage car, i would have already returned it.

Not saying this isn't a gamble, but those three issues that have popped up don't scream 'lemon'. They just tell me that I didn't get a great deal.

The only thing that I am concerned about that could potentially make this a lemon, is that the windshield+wiper cowl was replaced and there's a dent on the root (dent is being repaired, covered by carvana).

Considering the things wrong, and previous paint jobs and history, it seems like the car -was- in an accident of some sort.. However the subframe/frame do not appear damaged, and my indy checked it out saying he can't see any damage to frame/subframe and chasis is straight.. so most likely car was damaged while stationary.. but I could be wrong. again we're speculating without solid information here.

Considering the car is from texas, with the previous hurricane hitting that area, I believe the damage was simply from debris hitting the vehicle. Wishful thinking though.

I have a call on Monday with Carvana Corporate HQ to discuss the car history, I am requesting proper information on the car and basically trying to get solid information that can tell me what actually happened to the car to cause the windshield/cowl and dent on roof, and if all this + mechnical is from an accident or just compounded stuff from age of car, being driven hard, and being hit with debris during a hurricane. again, wishful thinking, not stating this is what i believe 100%.

Basically, logically 100% returning the car, emotionally i'm enjoying it and contemplating keeping it. Reality is: pending phone call with Carvana on Monday and what kind of deal we can reach, then I will decide.

Originally Posted by Mud
I went back and read your initial post about the maintenance stuff - yes I still think/suggest that you start fresh with the oil change, etc. based on the unknowns at this time. Plus more obvious stuff like brakes, suspension. Not to start rebuilding the car, just so you know where you are with it. I think that the cost part is your judgement, compare cost of this work vs more for a local model that may have had this stuff identified and done. But that's your call. However, I would check body very carefully to see if it's been involved in anything more than a fender bender. These cars have parts stuffed everywhere and an accident can cause later headaches. For me, that would be the deal-breaker, along with any major mechanical troubles found.

Don't do just a transmission flush, be sure the filter is changed as well. Also suggest that your mechanic (may have done this already) use a scantool that accesses the vehicle modules (more than generic mode 1-4 obd2 scantool). That can help ensure that all is well within the specific controlled components.

Forgive the oversimplification if you know this. You're a computer guy, so look at the car as an assortment of pc's (modules) on a central gateway network (CANBUS), reporting to each other and to a central server (ECM). A malfunctioning module can also cause confusion to other modules and sometimes if a generic obd2 code is thrown it doesn't really tell the whole story, can cause you to go down different rabbitholes to solve. Using a scantool that can access modules (obd2 modes 5-10) can help identify and isolate issues, even those that may be pending or stored. So especially for an unknown vehicle, that can be of value. I have an icarsoft V2 for MB and also just got an Autel MD808Pro for this specific reason.

So if the mechanicals are good, then the cosmetics are fairly straightforward to get squared away. I've done tint, trimwrap, rims, etc. to make my car my own, so certainly there's a lot of options out there for you. The vast majority of the folks here are knowledgeable and can help. Sure you'll get straight opinions but that's ok. Just have to start somewhere. My son got a great deal on a 99 Civic a few years ago that turned into CivicFromHell lol. We solved it though.
Old 04-07-2019, 05:57 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
added more pics to post

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...tQ?usp=sharing
Old 04-10-2019, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AndresInSpace

It seems scary at first, but don't tie rods/sway bars need replacing occasionally?.
They did on older models, that had rubber bushing working on friction.
But on latest models the bar bushings are vulcanized and links have solid joints, so the only thing that can happen is boot failure.
Keep us posted on negotiations with Carvana?
Old 04-10-2019, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 424 Likes on 350 Posts
MB’s
Sorry to hear but I sort of figured this would happen...

I bought a car sight unseen once before. Impulse buy, loved the car and color combo. 2004 CLK320 Cabriolet. White over Ash with a black top. Dealer lied to me about options and condition. I drive over to Orlando and once I pulled into the lot and saw I car I had everything I could do not to cry! What on earth did I get myself into?!? Body was a 9/10. Interior was a 5/10 and needed lots of parts replaced and professional detailing. Soft top was shot, windows didnt close right, rattles inside from everywhere from broken parts. Long Story Short $9,000 later the car is close to 100% I would never ever again buy any car sight unseen! It is just not worth it! Even a brand new car I would be worried.
TeeEl (04-10-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Either you guys have bad luck, or wrong expectations.
I bought dozens of vehicles base on internet photos, including luxury diesel pusher, that I bought close to Montreal, to bring it home to San Francisco area.
But I am not looking for CPO, I buy higher mileage MB for cheap and my only worry is good paint as I DIY any mechanical issues. The biggest issue I had in those years were leaky fuel lines on diesel or broken thermostat.
Than I was always flying with "cash in hand" and most of the time had return ticket.
It takes some practice to notice small flaws on pictures, but each time something was hard to see, I ask question or pass the deal.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by aquinob
You can even shop in your Comfy Pants with your emotional support animal.
HAHAHAHAH. I love you.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:22 PM

2012 E350 Luxury
Update:

Ok everyone, I appreciate the responses.
It seems the general response is to return the car, which is entirely understandable. I guess I'm difficult.

However, I was able to get my concerns over to Carvana's Executive Resolutions department, following estimates/repair work, as well as numerous phone calls and Carana extending my money-back guarantee trial period, well past 7-days.
Carvana has actually, after passing their bulldog reps, been very understanding and fair in working with me tocompensate/cover repair and work approved at no cost to me. Not to mention extending my guarantee until later this week, almost two weeks!
Not going to defend them, however.

Overall, the experience has sucked, and I do attribute this to their poor QC/Inspection process/buying process.

However, there is a potential win factor now that Carvana is willing to play ball.

TL;DR: new hood/bumper+paintjob in frontend blended to doors.+ carvana fixing dent in roof they caused(admitted).. the car is in sound mechanical condition w additional 80+days on original carvana warranty plus I get all the shop/dealer/supplier warranties on all parts/repairs/paint being done. peace of mind after all this or restart car shopping/buying process?

The short story(details):
After much kicking and screaming on my part (figuratively), I got ahold of executive resolutions at Carvana.
They furnished me their copy of their internal inspection process and what they did to the car: which more or less confirmed the car has been in an accident that caused windshield to be broken/wiper cowl area shifted.
Carvana only shows they replaced windshield(poorly), and hood was as I have it when they bought it. Their buying process missed the bent lines an untrained eye caught, or they are fine with cars like this.

Carvana is going to cover:
replacing the windshield they put in, with a OEM mercedes windshield with proper sensors/fitment.
replacing cowl if needed and windshield replacement doesn't fix fitment/seal.
Replacing the hood, front bumper with OEM.
Full 5-layer diamond white paint on hood/bumper/driver front fender, w/ blend into driver door (w touchups to scratches/imperfections on vehicle).
The body shop is an approved Mercedes-Benz Collision Center doing the body work + paint above.

additionally carvana will be covering/compensating me:
covering full service B maintenance.
covering replacing front brakes & rotors.
covering a full alignment done since they added 4 new tires + repairs to steering/suspension components being done.
covered a full professional detail $200 inside and out.
$75 + tire kit for missing spare tire.
and misc I believe additional $500 for referral code.

They will cover me 100% for all mechanical/electrical issues for another 80+days (part of warranty every car has 100-day from day 1).

Repaired so far at no cost:
steering control column control module, front stabilizer bar links and front struts replaced.
However during repair they found another issue that needs replacing as they are playing jenga essentially.. (layered plates, all moving independently when they should be a as explained to me by tech).
Carvana will cover this, of course. This however brings my attention to MBUSA Statement: https://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/Digital...atement_A2.pdf
I have sent this in, most likely it will be covered pending the mechanic believes it needs replacing even if to be on the safe side. So thats no cost as well.
Tech said it's still fine just get repairs, but wouldn't worry.

Even though I've invested a lot of time into this car/repairs/estimates/phone calls etc: It is not wasted since I will be writing a full review of this on + developing a guide for those thinking of using carvana, as there is so alot about the process that is better than buying from a dealer, they are just growing too fast and I think quality has been sacrificed/things missed. I don't believe they intentionally tried to scam me or sell me a lemon; either way I decide this week.

I basically am feeling that: I get a new frontend w 2year warranty on body/paint and regular shop warranty on repair/labor and parts supplied/manf warranty if they fail. + the regular 80+days left on my carvana mechnanical/electrical warranty; feels like car would be new and more stress-free!

however after driving the car for 10+days and everything the pros are telling me, it seems the car is fine and this is just bad luck/minor accident with improper repairs performed first time around..

thats hopefuly/optimistically
pessimistically the cars a lemon?

What do you all think? and keeping in mind she has all the options I want. I am paying to buy and use the car, afterall, not showcase it.
Keep it with the confidence of new parts+repairs+warranties+paint job?
or return it and run?

Last edited by AndresInSpace; 04-15-2019 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 04-15-2019, 12:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2013 E350
That's a huge amount of problems for a 2012 car. Sounds like an untaken-care-of lemon that no dealer would touch. I'd walk away. There are many other Mercedes out there to fall in love with.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
2010 E350, Sold 1998 C230
If I read the last post correctly, they sold you a car with an undisclosed accident and you still want to keep it?
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM

Has the purpose of this exercise shifted from buying the best used car possible for the money spent or proving the Carvana model to be valid? Regardless of how co-operative Carvana proves to be "You cannot make a silk purse from a sow's ear". From your description and problems related, this is not a shining example of a well cared for used E series. It seems very much the contrary example.
KEY08 (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,622 Likes on 1,191 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
Sure sounds like a turd to me. Have fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a 2012 E350 w 68k - also a Carvana Review