E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

A vibration of some kind on the back end.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W212
A vibration of some kind on the back end.

Hey, long time since posting here. I have an issuse about my E class. I hope anyone could help.
My car is E200 2011 W212, has 40,000 km on it, I really like this car, there wasnt any issues, but for those last weeks I'm having some issues with it. when I shift the car to reverse, there is some kind of noise from the back end of the car. I cant really explain what it sounds like. And the im not giving any gas when the car is in reverse. But it only happens when i shift to reverse. Other than that, everything is fine. And no shaking or whatsoever in the car. But I'm worried about that sound. And since the car dealer in my country is close to rip off, I wanted to know if its an important issue, can i fix it myself? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-28-2019, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,616 Likes on 1,186 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
I think a little better information than that is in order. Any chance someone can stand at the back and isolate the noise while you reverse the car? Could be a simple thing like your parking brake grinding on the rotor, or something more serious. (Differential)
Old 04-28-2019, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 838 Likes on 607 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by #bestornothing
Hey, long time since posting here. I have an issuse about my E class. I hope anyone could help.
My car is E200 2011 W212, has 40,000 km on it, I really like this car, there wasnt any issues, but for those last weeks I'm having some issues with it. when I shift the car to reverse, there is some kind of noise from the back end of the car. I cant really explain what it sounds like. And the im not giving any gas when the car is in reverse. But it only happens when i shift to reverse. Other than that, everything is fine. And no shaking or whatsoever in the car. But I'm worried about that sound. And since the car dealer in my country is close to rip off, I wanted to know if its an important issue, can i fix it myself? Thanks for the help!
Is it like one time "clunk" right when you switch to reverse? This would be the transmission taking up the "slag" or "backlash" of the gear train. It that is what it is I would not worry too much.