E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Possible Broken Headrest

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Possible Broken Headrest

Hey Gang....have an issue with my driver's seat headrest. I was sitting in my car a few weeks ago, car turned off, and decided to recline the upper seat back since I was going to be waiting about 20 minutes or so. Once I had the seat in the proper position I attempted to push the headrest back (away from my head) since it was pulled all the way to the front from my normal driving position. As I pushed it back, like I've done hundreds of times, I heard a loud snap and the headrest gave way. Now I have a limp headrest, lol. It'll move up and down as usual with the electronic seat adjustment, but the head restraint part is limp. Almost like a part snapped or isn't engaging.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to remove the head restraint to diagnose the issue? I attached a quick clip so you can see the issue. Been searching all over YouTube and the web and can't find any info on this.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
headrest.mov (1.38 MB, 427 views)
Old 05-23-2019, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
It appears you may have triggered the head restraint mechanism. Your car thinks it was rear ended. Just reset it.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:17 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 Mercedes Benz E350
Originally Posted by KEY08
It appears you may have triggered the head restraint mechanism. Your car thinks it was rear ended. Just reset it.
There is nothing to reset since the head restraint didn't pop open. The restraint is still in place, just doesn't engage. Did you see the video clip I posted?
Old 01-25-2022, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220 w212 2015
Did you ever get this fixed, mine is the same

Originally Posted by Avilly
Hey Gang....have an issue with my driver's seat headrest. I was sitting in my car a few weeks ago, car turned off, and decided to recline the upper seat back since I was going to be waiting about 20 minutes or so. Once I had the seat in the proper position I attempted to push the headrest back (away from my head) since it was pulled all the way to the front from my normal driving position. As I pushed it back, like I've done hundreds of times, I heard a loud snap and the headrest gave way. Now I have a limp headrest, lol. It'll move up and down as usual with the electronic seat adjustment, but the head restraint part is limp. Almost like a part snapped or isn't engaging.

Has anyone had this problem or know how to remove the head restraint to diagnose the issue? I attached a quick clip so you can see the issue. Been searching all over YouTube and the web and can't find any info on this.
Hi

my headrest is the same, broken plastic fixings, I have ordered a new head rest cushion, but need advice how to access the screw holding the metal tube/clamp that has come away from the headrest cushion. It looks like I need to activate the safety mechanism to allow access to the screw.
Old 01-25-2022, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e220 w212 2015
Did you ever get this fixed, mine is the same

Originally Posted by Avilly

Hi

my headrest is the same, broken plastic fixings, I have ordered a new head rest cushion, but need advice how to access the screw holding the metal tube/clamp that has come away from the headrest cushion. It looks like I need to activate the safety mechanism to allow access to the screw.

The hexagonal screw to the top, how do you raise the mechanism to access?

Old 01-25-2022, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,670 Likes on 2,439 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Snap trap...

try to disarm the tension spring before you start messing with it -

headrest Pre-Safe feature

Now I am curious to see what module internals they used to work the spring. It has a cover with a bunch of snaps, too fancy for just a solenoid actuator right?

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-26-2022 at 02:45 PM.