E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2010 E550 Straight pipe v.s. sport muffler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 12:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550 4MATIC
2010 E550 Straight pipe v.s. sport muffler

Hi all, new owner of a E550 and have enjoyed every minute in this car! I want to wake this beast up even more and am kind of at a loss for what to do.

Initially I wanted to remove the mid resonator and replace with a x-pipe and add AMG mufflers however after reading some posts it sounds like that mid resonator is very minimal in terms of sound difference and the AMG mufflers are still 900-1000 used which I would hate to spend to still be too quiet for my taste. Would I achieve good results with installing sport mufflers? If so what have you seen work and brands etc. that are good?

Full aftermarket exhaust systems seem awesome on paper but then I see the price tag and am turned away.

I've seen some straight pipe options and I am thinking that is the route I want to go as some guys have only replaced the mufflers at the rear with a straight pipe and achieved that sound they wanted. Now I know there are several different options for straight pipes such as J pipes etc. What would be the best option and what is the difference in these options in terms of sound etc.

I am leaning towards the straight pipe and potentially an x-pipe but I dont know if the x-pipe will make it too loud especially with drone in the cabin which I would like to limit.

Thoughts and go!
Old 05-26-2019, 06:02 PM

Received 141 Likes on 105 Posts
2010 E550

I did x-pipe with magnaflow mufflers. There is drone on highway but I've gotten used to it. It used to be louder when I didn't have those welded on exhaust tips and still had the fake tips the car came with.

Last edited by Peachy; 05-26-2019 at 10:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MASTAFLY (05-27-2019)
Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 PM

Received 68 Likes on 55 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Originally Posted by Peachy
I did x-pipe with magnaflow mufflers. There is drone on highway but I've gotten used to it. It used to be louder when I didn't have those welded on exhaust tips and still had the fake tips the car came with.
It settles nicely toward the end of the video. I like it. I'm not a big fan of loud exhausts personally, but that could be because too many douchebags love ripping up and down the streets here late at night with their fart cans.
The following users liked this post:
MASTAFLY (05-27-2019)
Old 05-27-2019, 09:22 AM

2010 E550 4MATIC
https://youtu.be/Kc5QEh1gTB0

That does sound nice, any rev video? I don't like the stock tips as much as the quad tips but in order for me to put the quads on I will have to get a diffuser first it sounds like. May just x pipe and straight pipe with the original tips for the time being.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 193 Likes on 111 Posts
E63s AMG
Checkout my previous E550 ride with muffler delete only. It brings out the V8 roar and crackle and pops.

Old 05-28-2019, 02:50 PM

2010 E550 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Ed99
Checkout my previous E550 ride with muffler delete only. It brings out the V8 roar and crackle and pops.

https://youtu.be/dSFKiy8U-lY
Now that sounds amazing! No drone at all? I will have to buy a AMG diffuser so I can fit the quad pipes. So did you buy AMG tips and had a shop put a straight pipe out to the tips? I guess I am just confused on what I tell an exhaust shop in reference to what I want. I will try to find just some AMG or quad tips in general and see if a local shop can weld them on.
Old 05-29-2019, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Originally Posted by MASTAFLY
Now that sounds amazing! No drone at all? I will have to buy a AMG diffuser so I can fit the quad pipes. So did you buy AMG tips and had a shop put a straight pipe out to the tips? I guess I am just confused on what I tell an exhaust shop in reference to what I want. I will try to find just some AMG or quad tips in general and see if a local shop can weld them on.
Yup had a straight pipe to replace the muffler delete and weld onto the AMG tips.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:23 PM

2010 E550 4MATIC
Yup had a straight pipe to replace the muffler delete and weld onto the AMG tips.
What size was the straight pipe? Assuming a larger diameter = larger size? I'm sure there's different materials too? I will try to find some AMG tips but may not be able to find just the tips and so I'm thinking even some quad aftermarket tips can get welded on just need to know which diameter would match best.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
What size was the straight pipe? Assuming a larger diameter = larger size? I'm sure there's different materials too? I will try to find some AMG tips but may not be able to find just the tips and so I'm thinking even some quad aftermarket tips can get welded on just need to know which diameter would match best.
Goto eBay and that’s where I bought mines. I think I paid around $250 for the AMG tips. I forget the size of the straight pipe but any muffler shop can do it. Just make sure they use the highest quality metal so it won’t rust.
Old 05-30-2019, 12:20 PM

2010 E550 4MATIC
Goto eBay and that’s where I bought mines. I think I paid around $250 for the AMG tips. I forget the size of the straight pipe but any muffler shop can do it. Just make sure they use the highest quality metal so it won’t rust.
Gotcha, I went to a local shop and they told me they can do a straight pipe all the way up to 3 inches and it would be just over $100 to install with the tips. Any idea on diameter of the AMG tips? I've looked on ebay and all of the ones I see are aftermarket and clamp on versions. The actual AMG ones are full exhaust/muffler setups and are $900-$1000 so I may just go with some aftermarket 3" tips that will weld to a 3" pipe.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:36 PM

2010 E550 4MATIC
Found these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...frcectupt=true
Diameter is 2.5 inches and looks similar to the factory ones. The factory tips each have a pipe running from the tip where this combines them.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63s AMG
Found these https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...frcectupt=true
Diameter is 2.5 inches and looks similar to the factory ones. The factory tips each have a pipe running from the tip where this combines them.
Just make sure you have the E63 rear diffuser to fit those AMG tips. They can be welded onto the straight piping.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:28 PM

2010 E550 4MATIC
Just make sure you have the E63 rear diffuser to fit those AMG tips. They can be welded onto the straight piping.
I will be getting the rw carbon diffuser so no worries there. I measured my stock pipes and they are about 2.4inches outside diameter before the muffler so I think these will work best. Dont think going bigger would work well and wouldn't be much louder. Think I'll order these guys and hold on to them until I get the diffuser and get ready for it.
Old 04-26-2020, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E550
https://youtu.be/Kc5QEh1gTB0

Which version of the magnaflow mufflers did you use? Sounds very nice.