E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Maintenance Items for Low Mileage M278

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
W212 E550 4M P2
Originally Posted by mbvolvo92
I am also having them check the brakes. They are sticking when I release them to go from a red-light.
I think you'll find it’s the tranny and not the brakes. Some E’s of this vintage are affected more than others. I’ve read that a software flash has helped some, but not all. It’s just the way they are...

Next time you’re at a stop light, try one of these which disable whatever tranny software has been coded by Merc.
(1) Shift from D to N and back to D. No sticking or hesitation.
(2) Pull the upshift paddle back towards you for 1-2sec. No sticking or hesitation.

Report back!
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E550 4matic Sedan; 2005 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad
I think you'll find it’s the tranny and not the brakes. Some E’s of this vintage are affected more than others. I’ve read that a software flash has helped some, but not all. It’s just the way they are...

Next time you’re at a stop light, try one of these which disable whatever tranny software has been coded by Merc.
(2) Pull the upshift paddle back towards you for 1-2sec. No sticking or hesitation.

Report back!
Just got the car back from the dealership this evening after it being there a week. They replaced the chain tensioners and added check valves. Car is quiet at idle (that may need to change soon!). They also said CAM sensors looked fine and didn't need replacing (wanted to have the new version of them installed). They also topped off the fluids and said brake fluid looked fine. They stated what you said above that that's how these cars are. I will try out the method you stated above, Johnny Rad, at the next stop light with no one around / find a parking lot.

Huge shoutout to Carmax for picking up the $2,300 repair bill from the MB dealer here south of town. They had their most senior tech working on it, or at least that's what they told me. (I think he just enjoyed the car!)
Old 08-03-2019, 01:12 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2012 E550 4matic Sedan; 2005 Volvo XC70
Originally Posted by Johnny Rad

Report back!
That seems to have helped it! I’ll drive it a bit more, but going from a standstill is not as jarring anymore. Thank you so much for the guidance!
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Rad (08-06-2019)