E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2014 E350 Sunroof Leak with Patent Drains

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 E350
2014 E350 Sunroof Leak with Patent Drains

2014 E350 4Matic W212 with a sunroof leak. Drains seem open and drain water as fast as you can pour from a cup. Leak seems to occur when the car is facing downward on a slope. Water collects around fabric of the overhead console when car is level left to right and will eventually drip into the cup holders. If the car is tilted to one side, the water will collect around the fabric of the dependent pillar. Seems to occur with heavy rain which seems to be the norm this year.

Is it possible that water runs off the sunroof, off the seal on the front edge and directly over the pan when it is raining hard with the car facing downhill? Thanks in advance.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350 sport wagon 213
Water in front passenger floor Leak ?sunroof? Windshield???

2014 E350 Sport Wagon W212 with a sunroof...I'm experiencing this same issue as sgriff144...

I noticed the passenger side carpet was wet. Pulled carpet up and wet vac'ed like 2 gallons. We had just experienced 3" of rain.
Car was parked on the slope of my driveway front facing downward toward street and slightly pitched lower on the passenger side.
I used a gallon water jug, pouring it down the open sunroof drain track on both sides. Drained quickly and no water on the floor (carpet still pulled back).
Poured another gallon down the windshield and cowl drained good too. Still no water on the floor?
Used compressed air down roof and cowl drains.
Dried carpet and foam with a good fan for 24 hours, but left carpet up off floor. We were expecting rain overnight, so I parked same as before.

Next morning water on the floor again? The A pillar seemed damp right about where the pass. side sunroof drain is. Vac'd again and water tested, without moving the car off slope. All drains seem to be fine.
Finally I closed up the car and used a hose on the roof for a good while to simulate rain and was able to see a little dampness on the a pillar, but no drips or puddle on the floor.
And help or hints as to where to go from here or do next? Meooow!

sgriff144: "2014 E350 4Matic W212 with a sunroof leak. Drains seem open and drain water as fast as you can pour from a cup. Leak seems to occur when the car is facing downward on a slope. Water collects around fabric of the overhead console when car is level left to right and will eventually drip into the cup holders. If the car is tilted to one side, the water will collect around the fabric of the dependent pillar. Seems to occur with heavy rain which seems to be the norm this year.

Is it possible that water runs off the sunroof, off the seal on the front edge and directly over the pan when it is raining hard with the car facing downhill? Thanks in advance".

Last edited by Strayedcat; 06-04-2020 at 05:24 PM. Reason: correction