E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Mercedes original smart key does not work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2019 | 11:26 AM

S212 E220CDI

I ordered a smart key for my mercedes from my mercedes dealer it came pre-designed from germany on my chassis
when I insert the key in the ignition so it says the key is programmed wait then it happens no efeter for a while then the display goes off with i take out and insert the key again says the same thing wait key programmed. my mercedes trader thought it was wrong on the key so they ordered a new one but it does the same! What could be wrong !??????
Old 07-16-2019 | 12:09 PM

As far as I am aware, they program the key at the factory and it should be plug in and play. When I got my car, the dealer lost the second key, so they ordered a new one from Germany, when it came in it worked with no issues. I would take it back to your dealer. Maybe they provided a wrong VIN number to the factory.
Old 07-17-2019 | 05:05 PM

S212 E220CDI
They ordered a new key but it was the same with it

I put in the key and took out minus the pole from the battery and put it back all of a sudden the dipping started but the car does not start in addition, I turn the key back to position 1 so the ignition switches off again and it says the key is programmed, I pull out the negative pole and put it back restarts the ignition

Old 07-17-2019 | 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
You are disconnecting the main battery negative terminal? I’m having difficulty understanding your post. Remove the battery from the key itself and try starting the car. The key does not need a battery to work. You may have a bad ignition module.
Old 07-18-2019 | 09:55 PM

W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
All keys come pre-programmed to vehicle. The only possibility I can think of is that your vehicle has had the EIS replaced and they did not use the original data. I have had plenty of cars with that issue come in to my shop and most of them are coming from the auction.
Old 07-21-2019 | 04:50 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I haven't replaced a key in a long time, but when I was an MB tech, I remember having to set up a charger and put the key in the ignition for a long time to allow it to properly marry to the car. Your cluster says "wait" when you insert the key, right?
I don't remember what position the ignition switch is supposed to be in though...maybe position 1?
Koenigstar? you know/remember?
Old 07-21-2019 | 05:10 PM

2013 SL550 BiTurbo
I found this in an old thread:

When you replace the key, new key is programmed for the vehicle at the PDC. Once you insert the new key into the EIS, The eis itself recognizes the new data and the led on the key will illuminate. The eis will then erase the entire remaining starts/codes from the replaced key so that the new one will be active. The first thing you will notice is that the key will turn in the ignition. If you are able to depress the brake and remove the shifter from park, it is complete. Some cars display, 'computing data' in the cluster.
Old 07-24-2019 | 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by couldnthinkaone
I found this in an old thread:

When you replace the key, new key is programmed for the vehicle at the PDC. Once you insert the new key into the EIS, The eis itself recognizes the new data and the led on the key will illuminate. The eis will then erase the entire remaining starts/codes from the replaced key so that the new one will be active. The first thing you will notice is that the key will turn in the ignition. If you are able to depress the brake and remove the shifter from park, it is complete. Some cars display, 'computing data' in the cluster.
How does the car know what key data to erase from the car? These cars come with 2 keys but I think in mine I could have total of 4 keys programmed for the car but I only have 2. If one of my keys goes bad or is lost and I get a new key how does the car know which key information it will delete? I thought the dealer needs to use their system to remove the unused key from the car's memory before the new one can be added.

I had one of the keys replaced when it was still under warranty and the dealer told me they have to do it and I had to bring the other good key to them obviously to tell the system which key info to keep. I could not have done this myself.