E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

2012 E350 , all systems inoperable, then repeat startup and problem resolves??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes E350 4Matic
2012 E350 , all systems inoperable, then repeat startup and problem resolves??

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem , or any ideas or clues as to what's causing it.

I approach the vehicle and open the trunk, load trunk with something. Then the close trunk and lock trunk buttons are not illuminated and trunk does not close. Instrument cluster has displayed "Key detected in vehicle" at times.

Trunk is closed manually, then upon starts, air conditioning is not working, instrument cluster displays "ESP inoperable" , "blind spot detection inoperable" , "srs malfunction , see dealer" . Basically every error message stating systems are inoperable. Car will not engage into drive.

Then, I turn off the car, lock and wait until lights time out. Repeat this a few times getting in and out and attempting start. After about 4th try, it starts and everything is fine. Only check engine light is displayed.

Car starts fine after that, even when unloading and loading trunk, everything functional. Then check engine light disappears.

Approx 3 days later, it happened again. I'm really confused (so weird). Maybe a proximity sensor near the back of the vehicle is defective and it thinks someone is trying to steal the car (not detecting key) , or ignition sequence is out of whack.

I've also bought a new battery about 2 weeks ago, thinking that was the issue, but still it remains.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you my fellow W212 owners! I still love this car no matter what.

Last edited by RealVanCity; 08-02-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,625 Likes on 1,192 Posts
2014 E550-sold 😩
See the following thread. Can failure from corroded blind spot sensor. Not saying that’s it but you have similar issues happening and these sensors are known to cause problems with the Can.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-meltdown.html
Old 08-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 Mercedes E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by KEY08
See the following thread. Can failure from corroded blind spot sensor. Not saying that’s it but you have similar issues happening and these sensors are known to cause problems with the Can.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-meltdown.html

Thank you!, I'll dig deeper. Much appreciated
Old 08-03-2019, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by RealVanCity
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has had this problem , or any ideas or clues as to what's causing it.

I approach the vehicle and open the trunk, load trunk with something. Then the close trunk and lock trunk buttons are not illuminated and trunk does not close. Instrument cluster has displayed "Key detected in vehicle" at times.

Trunk is closed manually, then upon starts, air conditioning is not working, instrument cluster displays "ESP inoperable" , "blind spot detection inoperable" , "srs malfunction , see dealer" . Basically every error message stating systems are inoperable. Car will not engage into drive.

Then, I turn off the car, lock and wait until lights time out. Repeat this a few times getting in and out and attempting start. After about 4th try, it starts and everything is fine. Only check engine light is displayed.

Car starts fine after that, even when unloading and loading trunk, everything functional. Then check engine light disappears.

Approx 3 days later, it happened again. I'm really confused (so weird). Maybe a proximity sensor near the back of the vehicle is defective and it thinks someone is trying to steal the car (not detecting key) , or ignition sequence is out of whack.

I've also bought a new battery about 2 weeks ago, thinking that was the issue, but still it remains.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you my fellow W212 owners! I still love this car no matter what.
As you have replaced the battery it is not the main battery issue.

Next thing to do is to replace the AUXILLIARY battery.

If AUX battery change does not help replace your starter.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
I have a Trickle Charger Battery Maintainer. Will the Auxiliary Battery charge along with charging the Main Battery? I just got warning message "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction". Thanks.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 930 Likes on 658 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
I have a Trickle Charger Battery Maintainer. Will the Auxiliary Battery charge along with charging the Main Battery? I just got warning message "Auxiliary Battery Malfunction". Thanks.
I don't know but my engineering thinking says the AUX battery is not directly connected to the main battery. I think it gets charge only from the alternator when the engine runs.

My thinking is- if it is directly connected in parallel with the main battery then why have two different batteries? Would be cheaper to make the car with one battery that has bigger capacity than two separate ones. Would save all wiring etc. costs...
Old 10-18-2019, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 222 Posts
E63S
Originally Posted by E55 KEV
I once asked this question in the AMG forum and PeterUbers (a member who seems pretty knowledgeable) said the trickle charger will NOT charge the AUX batt.
Old 10-19-2019, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 198 Likes on 156 Posts
2016 GLE63s / 2016 E63s / 2002 E55
Thanks for the replies Arrie and Rehabguy