E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

I Miss My W212 (2013) Wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2019 | 06:22 PM

2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
I Miss My W212 (2013) Wagon

Can’t truly articulate why but I do. Traded up to a 2017 and even with all the bells and whistles not enjoying it like I should. Had a terrible sales experience which didn’t help in the beginning but even after 2 months I am actually thinking about trading it in but not sure what for. Anyone else move to a 2017 or later and feel the same?
Old 08-19-2019 | 10:47 AM

2013 E350 Wagon, 1983 240D
A little different scenario for me. I just purchased a 2013 wagon and I absolutely love it. I looked at newer models, and just didn't care for the style change all that much. To me the 2013 just seems more "Mercedes" so to speak. I traded a very custom Jeep wrangler for the wagon. I wanted a Jeep for many years, and I finally got it, but just wasn't trilled with it after a few months. It didn't take long before I started looking at the wagon. I also had a very terrible sales experience, but in the end, I'm glad I got the wagon.

If it doesn't make you happy, then you are gonna hate it more each time you drive it. At least that's what happened with me. I picked it apart till I convinced myself I needed something else.

I say get something that you are thrilled to drive each day. Good luck in your decision.
Old 08-19-2019 | 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
I know what you’re saying, definitely. While the new version has some very nice aspects about it, it doesn’t have that feeling that I personally expect from a MB sedan. It’s a heavy duty feeling, a gentleman’s leather-strap watch kind of feeling. Something that cruises along yet you know is capable of going bat-crap crazy if you want it to. The new one just doesn’t have that feeling to me. It’s light, it’s cramped (for me), it’s an iWatch instead of that leather strapped watch. It has its place for sure in today’s market, don’t get me wrong, and is without question a beautiful machine that I’m sure will carve out its MB niche and presence. But I don’t think it will age as well as the 212 has/is. Could be wrong, but I’m not entirely sure. That being said, I also think the pre-facelift 212 looks better than the post facelift (which is what I have). I guess I just like defined lines and sharp angles.

I’ve thought a few times about replacing my 2014 for either a Porsche Cayenne, GLE or Executive Touareg. I’d like an SUV for the ability to see better around the traffic. But every time I think I’d like to do it, I take the 212 out for a cruise and fall in love with it again. I particularly enjoy it on rainy days and the fall season when the leaves are in color. Just floating along in complete relaxation without a worry or care in the world. Nothing asking me for my password, nothing seeking my input. Just chilling to some John Coltrane and whispering along in a fine automobile that feels like a bank vault made out of hammer and thick gauge steel.

I save the bat-crap crazy feeling for my aging VW GTI which, at my age now of 46 years old, can scare me long before I can scare it. It’s all the scratch I need for that old Led Zepplin itch, and lets me keep a 401k in the process.

Last edited by nc211; 08-19-2019 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-19-2019 | 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 E550-sold 😩
Interesting comments and I completely agree. Even though I don't have the wagon/estate, I have no desire to buy the new E Class look when my W212 is ready for replacement. I'll look around when that time comes, but will not be putting myself into a W213. They have no soul.
Old 08-19-2019 | 06:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by KEY08
will not be putting myself into a W213. They have no soul.
That's what W123 and W124 owners say about W210, W211 and W212
I was not very found about W212 when I was buying it and my choice was dictated by new generation diesel engine, but the body style grew up on me, especially after I put classic monoblocks on it
Human nature makes big value from first impression.
That's what RE agents tell.
You can have top -end mansion, but when you have unpainted front door, you will have heck of the time to shake first impression.
But that can turn around.
Somewhere in internet archives there is topic from W163 (ML class) owners. Those SUV were hated in first years becouse mechanic learned digital technology on customer wallets.
So there was elderly couple who was bi***in about the SUV, only later on to buy 2nd identical. Why?
Because 2 of them + 2 grandchildren walked away from triple roll-over of the 1st one.
Life often takes strange turns ...
Old 08-19-2019 | 08:25 PM

2003 W203 C230, 2016 S212 E350, 2017 Panamera Turbo, 2018 SQ5
I just got a 2016 S212 E350. I also shopped around for a 2017 S213 E400 but I didn't think the price premium was worth it. The newer body style and interior also less appealing to me.

How you feel about a car is highly subjective of course. Prior to S212, my last Mercedes was a W203 C230 which was kind of a turd (as my sigiture below testifies... I can't figure out how to change it )

To me, the S212 definitely recalls the W123 and W124 of my childhood more so than the cost cutting and half baked W203 era. Everything you touch on S212 extrudes quality and solid construction. On the S213, my observation is largely the same but the large screens, a design decision driven by the Chinese market has detracted some of that classic feeling of Mercedes interior. But I wouldn't call it cheap or chintzy. It will just take me a while before I accept that bigger screen = more luxury in this brave new world.

And of course a bad sales experience can sour you on a car faster than anything else.
Old 08-19-2019 | 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 GLS450 / 2024 Ford Bronco / (former) W212 4-matic 350 sport package
Originally Posted by kajtek1
That's what W123 and W124 owners say about W210, W211 and W212
I was not very found about W212 when I was buying it and my choice was dictated by new generation diesel engine, but the body style grew up on me, especially after I put classic monoblocks on it
Human nature makes big value from first impression.
That's what RE agents tell.
You can have top -end mansion, but when you have unpainted front door, you will have heck of the time to shake first impression.
But that can turn around.
Somewhere in internet archives there is topic from W163 (ML class) owners. Those SUV were hated in first years becouse mechanic learned digital technology on customer wallets.
So there was elderly couple who was bi***in about the SUV, only later on to buy 2nd identical. Why?
Because 2 of them + 2 grandchildren walked away from triple roll-over of the 1st one.
Life often takes strange turns ...

Some truths here for sure, especially the part about it growing on you. That’s one of the reasons I really like German cars in general, their styling just tends to grow on me which means they hold my attention and appreciation for much longer. I suspect the 213 will probably do this for me as well someday soon too. I work in Tyson’s Corner VA (DC burbs) and there is no shortage of black MB’s roaming about. I’ve noticed myself noticing a couple of 213’s with a certain type of wheel that looked extremely nice. Black with chrome accents, like mine.

OP, maybe just give it some more time and see how you feel. Having driven the 213 myself as a loaner a few times, it’s definitely a change in some key aspects, one could possibly even say an evolution.

When I was considering the 212, my first MB ever, I watched a ton of YouTube review videos. One that sold me was a guy who rented one from the Denver airport and took it for a drive. His comments sold me. I’m paraphrasing - “it’s a car that knows what it’s not and not tying to be it. It’s a big, heavy feeling car and lumbers about, but does it in all the right ways that you’d expect from a Benz. It has a sense of old school in new school clothing.”
Old 08-19-2019 | 10:53 PM

2017 E400 Wagon Black/Black MB Tex P1 & Sport Wheel Package
Thanks everyone. I do regret trading in my 2013 wagon. It had relatively low miles (35k) and was well maintained by the 1st owner who I personally know and by me.

I know I was "seduced" by the bells and whistles and technology of newer loaner cars, my CPO vehicle was about to go out of warranty (I did not buy the extended MB warranty at time of purchase) and having to decide whether or not to buy a 3rd party extended warranty and if so which one (had one on our 2004 wagon and it was not the easiest experience) and the scarcity of MB wagons where I live.

We have owned MB's for 25 years and between my husband and me this is our 7th Benz.

I started to I check mbusa periodically to see if one would pop up locally at another dealership within a few hundred miles and one morning I saw the 17 with 17k miles and a good asking price but it was from another dealership in the area who I had never dealt with but decided to go look at it on a Saturday at month-end and suffice it to say made a deal that day after getting a decent deal on the price including my trade.

After years of buying prior vehicles from one dealership and always having had a relatively positive experience and feeling valued as a client, it never occurred to me it could be so different. I will not go into the details of the post-buy aggravation and IMO the worst customer service from a salesperson, errors by the finance person and management who just did not seem to respond - some of which required MB Customer Service intervention to rectify an issue, to this day - 2 months later- I have never even received a thank you for my purchase.

And while that tainted the buying experience, I just figured live and learn and that I'd never buy another car from them or recommend them - not that they need my business - and I wasn't intending to go there for service anyway as it's not as convenient as the dealership I have been going to for years, but the feel and drive of the car just doesn't feel right to me.

I just feel like the car doesn't fit me and I don't fit the car. I am not as comfortable driving or sitting in the car, the interior seems more cramped than my '13, some of the newer features are wonky to me (I need to get the command software updated as I have intermittent issues with lag time and connections) and are actually counter-intuitive for me and I just do not love the car. The only positive is that the garage door opener works with is something I could never get to work with my '13.

Not sure how a much of a hit I'd take to trade in now or what I'd even trade for. The salesperson told me they were selling it at a discount as there isn't a market for wagons locally as everyone wants SUV's. I think if I traded for any Benz it would be an E sedan. Don't love many of the SUV's. And I am close to retirement so if this isn't my last car (depending on if we relocate or not down the road), it will be next to last and another reason why I was feeling like I should trade the '13 while I am still working and can manage the car payment.

Years ago I bought one car (a hot rod Volvo wagon) and traded it after a year as it just was not a good fit for me. But I have driven rental cards in past 2 months that I have enjoyed more than this car.

Sigh. I feel terrible even thinking this is really a problem but it is not bringing me joy and was curious if anyone else had the same or similar experience.

I even miss this forum!

Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019 | 11:43 AM

2012 C63, 2014 E550
Name and shame the dealer you had a bad experience with !
Old 08-20-2019 | 07:25 PM

2003 W203 C230, 2016 S212 E350, 2017 Panamera Turbo, 2018 SQ5
Where do you live? Maybe you can find someone here to trade wagon with you...
Old 08-21-2019 | 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
Balthus, you clearly are unhappy. Haven moved from a W212 to a C238 (213 coupe) I understand a couple of your points. This generation uses a fair amount of lighter parts making the car as a whole feel lighter, less substantial. The interior is more cramped up front, largely due to the wide center console. That said I love this generation of E class, but I can understand why you do not.
Old 08-21-2019 | 05:46 PM

2015 E400 wagon
Come up to Canada, get a CPO 2016 E400 wagon (W212 body style, but the 329hp TTV6) and enjoy the best of both worlds. I’m in love with mine...