Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W212)
oetuning on a 550 non-turbo >

oetuning on a 550 non-turbo

Notices
E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Old 07-09-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 e550

So I took advantage of the June sale from oetuning and bought a tune with the mygenius loader. I have read a few posts about people being disappointed and wanted to add my thoughts. I received the loader yesterday and within about an hour I was up and running with the new tune. You have to download their software to a computer and do some updates, then have the loader read your oem file from your car. This then gets uploaded to the computer and emailed to the company and they email you back the tune for your car. You put it on the loader and upload it to your car.

For people that say it is not worth the money, I highly disagree. You are not going to come close to the gains you would get from a turboed engine but that is to be expected and the price also reflects that. What you do get is a nice bump in power but more importantly for me is the elimination of the throttle lag. The acceleration is definitely quicker and the response time is much improved. There is a more noticeable V8 rumble under load which is a nice added bonus. I'm excited to drive it a bit more and see how it performs throughout the power band. I'm also curious to see potential fuel savings on extended road trips. I'll update this thread when I get some actual fuel numbers. I'm sure my hard right foot will have to settle down before I see a benefit there.
The following 3 users liked this post by RDE38:
boardboy330 (07-09-2019), MASTAFLY (07-09-2019), [email protected] (07-09-2019)
Old 07-09-2019, 01:40 PM
SPONSOR

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
M273 E550 Tuning Review

Originally Posted by RDE38 View Post
So I took advantage of the June sale from oetuning and bought a tune with the mygenius loader. I have read a few posts about people being disappointed and wanted to add my thoughts. I received the loader yesterday and within about an hour I was up and running with the new tune. You have to download their software to a computer and do some updates, then have the loader read your oem file from your car. This then gets uploaded to the computer and emailed to the company and they email you back the tune for your car. You put it on the loader and upload it to your car.

For people that say it is not worth the money, I highly disagree. You are not going to come close to the gains you would get from a turboed engine but that is to be expected and the price also reflects that. What you do get is a nice bump in power but more importantly for me is the elimination of the throttle lag. The acceleration is definitely quicker and the response time is much improved. There is a more noticeable V8 rumble under load which is a nice added bonus. I'm excited to drive it a bit more and see how it performs throughout the power band. I'm also curious to see potential fuel savings on extended road trips. I'll update this thread when I get some actual fuel numbers. I'm sure my hard right foot will have to settle down before I see a benefit there.
Thanks Ryan for the very nice review. I am glad you are liking the tune for your E550. Please keep us posted with regards to your fuel economy after tuning.
Old 07-09-2019, 01:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 MBZ E350
Is it worth it to do it on a 16 E350?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by Red-Town View Post
I was wondering this too, except on my 2010 E350. Any thoughts?
Old 07-09-2019, 04:41 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Great that you got yours after doing a whole bunch of work, but I'm just going to say, "No". I physically took my car to them (I'm about 15 miles from them), the tech hooked up their loader, laptop, etc., and did everything. Since they did everything there's zero chance I did anything incorrectly. Yet there was still no noticeable difference.

As for fuel "economy", overall I get about 13-14 mpg... and that's without me driving hard because I can only imagine how terrible it would be if I did. If I take it onto the 210 and drive east I'll creep up toward 30 but it'll nosedive as soon as I get onto the normal streets. If I get way out there onto the highway and I'm able to cruise at 75 I might be able to get more... but that's simply not realistic living in SoCal.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:42 PM

2011 e550
Originally Posted by Red-Town View Post
Originally Posted by supremeboxlogo View Post
I was wondering this too, except on my 2010 E350. Any thoughts?
Honestly, I couldn't tell you. It looks on the V6 it adds about 20 hp. If throttle response is your biggest complaint then I would definitely say it is worth it. Maybe a little pricey right now until they have another sale but hopefully someone will chime in with experience on a 350.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:50 PM

2011 e550
Originally Posted by TeeEl View Post
.... Yet there was still no noticeable difference.
Is this your 2013 turbo v8 that you are saying you can't feel a difference? If that's the case I would have them reflash it. That should be about 100hp difference which would be pretty obvious. For what I paid from the sale I'm pretty happy with the results.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
Is this your 2013 turbo v8 that you are saying you can't feel a difference? If that's the case I would have them reflash it. That should be about 100hp difference which would be pretty obvious. For what I paid from the sale I'm pretty happy with the results.
Yes it is. And the dyno I had it put up on afterwards put up abysmal numbers as well. (Sub 400.) The car is no slouch, but zero noticeable difference. I suppose I could contact them to see if they can redo/reflash it? I hadn't thought to do that.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:49 PM

2011 e550
Yeah, that doesn't sound right. I would have them reflash it. If you really wanted to you could also install a boost gauge to see what kind of psi you are running. If it's tuned then the psi should be quite a bit higher than stock.