E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

E550 Airmatic Active suspension - W212 - finding replacement front struts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 12:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 GLE 63S AMG SUV, 2015 GLA 250 (Previously: 2010 MB E550 (V8, 5.5L))
Unhappy E550 Airmatic Active suspension - W212 - finding replacement front struts

Hi folks - I think I have exhausted the information in the forums, but maybe not since it can be an overwhelming amount of applicable and not so applicable threads returned in a search.

I am looking for advice on finding front struts. I have ordered the rear shocks and air springs, but struggling to find remanufactured front struts. Arnott Industries have been out of stock for weeks now. I have also looked into buying new, which are priced anywhere from $1200 to $1700 each - quite a price tag considering my ride is just about to hit 100k miles and worth about $8,500. Will cost close to $5,000 to replace shocks all round and I have not even considered other components which maybe about to or have failed also.

Has anyone been able to find other resources for obtaining reman parts or new that are less expensive than what I stated above?

Appreciate any help, as I am might just have to get rid of the car entirely otherwise - although I love this E550 / V8!
Old 11-13-2019, 05:05 PM
fc3

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E400 Sedan, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
I did the rear air springs on my Mark VIII and my wife's Jaguar a while ago. Got pretty good at sourcing these things. Searched the web with DuckDuckGo for the Arnott part numbers AS3237 and AS3238. Surprise! Surprise! Autozone claims In Stock. I would not have guessed they'd have them! Worth checking...

Last edited by fc3; 11-13-2019 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by fplouw
Hi folks - I think I have exhausted the information in the forums, but maybe not since it can be an overwhelming amount of applicable and not so applicable threads returned in a search.

I am looking for advice on finding front struts. I have ordered the rear shocks and air springs, but struggling to find remanufactured front struts. Arnott Industries have been out of stock for weeks now. I have also looked into buying new, which are priced anywhere from $1200 to $1700 each - quite a price tag considering my ride is just about to hit 100k miles and worth about $8,500. Will cost close to $5,000 to replace shocks all round and I have not even considered other components which maybe about to or have failed also.

Has anyone been able to find other resources for obtaining reman parts or new that are less expensive than what I stated above?

Appreciate any help, as I am might just have to get rid of the car entirely otherwise - although I love this E550 / V8!
I tried every place but could not get them other than dealer or FCP Euro, where I ended up getting them from. By labeling on the parts they were remanufactured at the plant in Spain where they make the original parts.

NAPA says they sell them but they could not get any. Arnott said part is in back order but no word when available.

If AutoZone now has them and they are real Arnott parts that pricing is a steal!
Old 11-14-2019, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 E550 Sedan
Originally Posted by fc3
I did the rear air springs on my Mark VIII and my wife's Jaguar a while ago. Got pretty good at sourcing these things. Searched the web with DuckDuckGo for the Arnott part numbers AS3237 and AS3238. Surprise! Surprise! Autozone claims In Stock. I would not have guessed they'd have them! Worth checking...

I did some digging into these and looks like they're for cars with 4matic. won't work on RWD (me in this case)

I need to do some more research
Old 11-14-2019, 09:07 AM

I was able to add them to my cart both with Autozone and AutohauzAZ, but both called me to let me know when they tried to actually order them from Arnott, they were informed these are not in stock with no ETA. I also chatted with Arnott online and they confirmed the same.
Old 11-14-2019, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was able to add them to my cart both with Autozone and AutohauzAZ, but both called me to let me know when they tried to actually order them from Arnott, they were informed these are not in stock with no ETA. I also chatted with Arnott online and they confirmed the same.
Seems it is the same story I had.

FCP Euro worked for me. They were just under $1200 each.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:04 AM
fc3

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 E400 Sedan, 2018 E400 Cabriolet
Sorry to hear that. Rather unethical of them to say "In Stock" when they are not.

Good luck finding them. I did find multiple rebuilders of the air springs for my wife's Jaguar XJL. She loves that car and isn't ready to let it go; it's been reliable, so... why not keep it? She's been driving Sadie once in a while and likes her, so she might come around, although her Jag is much, much more spacious.

The air spring were losing air on cold days, so I replaced them all a few years ago. After talking to a few suppliers I installed Arnott up front, but since they were out of stock for the rears, I used RMT in back. Both brands seem fine. I've also used Arnott on my Mark VIII, which also has four corner air suspension. Good stuff.

Looks like RMT has them at a grand for a pair. Not awful.

https://www.rebuildmastertech.com

Best regards,
Frank

Last edited by fc3; 11-14-2019 at 11:07 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-15-2019, 03:53 PM

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
2013 E550 4MATIC - P1, P2, SPORT
I'm facing this issue right now. Drove my Benz yesterday, came down this morning to find it sitting on the ****ing floor. Unfortunately this is happening more and more frequently. Sadly, I have neither the expertise nor the tools to fix this myself, so I'm going to have to find the parts and a place to install them.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:45 AM

Finally some good news!

Originally Posted by Arrie
Seems it is the same story I had.

FCP Euro worked for me. They were just under $1200 each.
Based on another poster's experience, I decided to contact MBUSA. Since I have been pretty loyal in using my local MB authorized dealership for repairs over the years, and I had a quote from them to replace the front struts (with original MB parts), MBUSA contacted the dealer. They informed me two days later that the dealership agreed to take off $1,000 off the quoted price of $3,800 - including 4 wheel realignment and taxes, so would cost me $2,800. Considering they cost about $1,250 each from other sources, this seems like a good deal, no?

I did order and receive rear shocks and air springs from Autohauz (Arnott air springs and original MB shocks) for $1,450. Installation will cost about $350 - $500 - not sure I have the setup or experience to do them myself, but considering it based on the great videos posted by other DIY members.

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Last edited by fplouw; 11-17-2019 at 09:56 AM. Reason: changed air pumps to air springs
Old 11-17-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Based on another poster's experience, I decided to contact MBUSA. Since I have been pretty loyal in using my local MB authorized dealership for repairs over the years, and I had a quote from them to replace the front struts (with original MB parts), MBUSA contacted the dealer. They informed me two days later that the dealership agreed to take off $1,000 off the quoted price of $3,800 - including 4 wheel realignment and taxes, so would cost me $2,800. Considering they cost about $1,250 each from other sources, this seems like a good deal, no?

I did order and receive rear shocks and air springs from Autohauz (Arnott air springs and original MB shocks) for $1,450. Installation will cost about $350 - $500 - not sure I have the setup or experience to do them myself, but considering it based on the great videos posted by other DIY members.

Thanks for all the help and advice!
Great quote but the job is very easy. Front almost easier than rear but paying only $300 for the work is low enough that I would let them do it.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:27 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
Hi guys,
Interesting this got raised - I was always worried about my Airmatic too losing pressure overnight etc....
But - when I took my car in for a Trans Service they noted a very tiny clunk and were able to get a Rebuilt OE Mercedes Front strut....All replaced under Warranty.
My front struts have always seem to be fine to me...but I was smart and kept the old unit just as a spare...as I know they are becoming harder to find.
You would think there would be plenty of them out there but I think someone is just crushing them?

Anyways - replaced - aligned and all good - not that I can tell much of a difference - but at least one is done! and only cost me my deductible - I think the total job was like $1800...With no core fee either
And now I have I think a good spare - (maybe get rebuilt or just hold on to it)

You should hold on to them if you do get them replaced...for sure.

Cheers
Old 11-26-2019, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Quattrodude
Hi guys,
Interesting this got raised - I was always worried about my Airmatic too losing pressure overnight etc....
But - when I took my car in for a Trans Service they noted a very tiny clunk and were able to get a Rebuilt OE Mercedes Front strut....All replaced under Warranty.
My front struts have always seem to be fine to me...but I was smart and kept the old unit just as a spare...as I know they are becoming harder to find.
You would think there would be plenty of them out there but I think someone is just crushing them?

Anyways - replaced - aligned and all good - not that I can tell much of a difference - but at least one is done! and only cost me my deductible - I think the total job was like $1800...With no core fee either
And now I have I think a good spare - (maybe get rebuilt or just hold on to it)

You should hold on to them if you do get them replaced...for sure.

Cheers
You should NEVER change only one of them. You now have a brand new shock absorber on one side and worn one on the other. This can put the car off balance and be dangerous in some driving conditions.
Old 11-27-2019, 02:33 PM

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550 - 4Matic, 2008 ML550
I thought that too - I have had the car now for about 2 weeks now and the car is totally fine - not squirrely, drives straight - and I have driven the car hard to see if this would be an issue.
Hammered the brakes hard too - still stops nice and straight...can really tell it has been replaced...
All I can say is the car drives the same - I know MB says if more than 50K miles - should be replaced in pairs...which I agree always makes sense.
I have coverage for over a year still so - maybe the other will fail in some way
rather than pony up another $1500 - Ill give it a little.