E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Engine Misfire / Blackened Plugs / Eurocharge Stage 1 Tune With Burble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2020, 11:52 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
Exclamation Engine Misfire / Blackened Plugs / Eurocharge Stage 1 Tune With Burble

Hello everyone. I own a W218, 2012 CLS550. I'm here cuz the E550 uses the same engine, a 4.6L. I've had the loss of power issue for a while but finally started to get the CEL on. Hoping to get some information or if anyone had experienced anything like this, please share your knowledge/thoughts/suggestions/advice.

I'm sorry, but it's going to be a long write-up as I'm trying not to skip any details. Feel free to ask any questions or inputs of any kind.

I have EuroCharge Stage 1 ECU tune WITH burble. Got it some time this past summer. I've enjoyed it to the fullest. With that, I also removed resonator and both mufflers.

I was cruising on the freeway and ended up racing an Audi A7, not S7 just A7 based on the badges i saw. I couldn't shake him off. All I could do was get ahead enough that his front axle was aligned to my rear axle or trunk, but couldn't gap him at all. I **** my pants since I have the tune. I should be pushing minimum 500hp 600tq while A7 is rated just around 330-340 hp. If he also had a tune, let's say 400hp and 450tq for him. I still have an upper hand of at least 100hp and 150tq, but the gap never happened. That time, I blamed my car missing one of the air intake tubes...from the front bumper to the air filter. But I talked to a few, they said it shouldn't have that much affect. But I kept thinking the missing tube was the culprit.

Time passed. I was driving through San Francisco's residential hills and what not and car started to shake, not vibrate, almost kind of jumping. Like losing power for a second and power is back for the next second and again losing power. That was on low speed. I stopped and turned the car off and restarted it. The shaking went away, though not completely, but VERY mild shaking/jumping was still there. I literally started to **** my pants wondering if I will even get where I need to go. I constantly looked at temp gauge and for CEL. Nothing fishy everything looked normal. I did a few pulls later on that drive, the pulls were good and the power was there. But still shook on low speeds. No CEL.

It would shake even on cold driving. I would drive for 1 or 2 minutes and stop and turn the car off and start it...it would go away or lessen. Still, no CEL. Tune is still up.

My dad took it to a smog shop since its due and dad said the tech, without even smogging it, from the exhaust note, he did a simple check and said the O2 sensor isn't ready. (I can't remember when exactly, but the exhaust note was greatly quieter than it used to be. Even my sister said that why doesn't it sound the same anymore? It wasn't crispy anymore.) It must not been driven for a bit so drive it and come back. I did for a few days or a week...went back. On the way to the shop, dad said CEL came on for an injector. I wasn't able to take it to shop myself due to work and all so he got the injector replaced. The problem is still there, shaking and stuff. Since the car just got to 72k miles, I opted to change the plugs, also with the thought that due to the tune and slightly higher temp, could be the plugs that are causing this. Again, my dad took it. Driving the car felt wayyy better. It was smoother, but part of the shaking issue was still there, minimal.

After a few days, car started shaking or call it Loss of Power (LOP) to its original level. Like injector and plugs didn't make it any better. No CEL besides the faulty injector that was replaced.

I took the tune off and installed the original file.

I took it to a diff shop. He checked the coils with this stick that flashes and beeps based on the firing of the coils and said coils are working fine. But he took the coil boot off and said this one seems off. He looked at it and such and thought to replace the coil boot. We only replaced 2 boots of the one which had a bad injector and had a "broke" or "lose" spark plug, per the mechanic. At that time, I had a CEL of O2 sensor. He said O2 sensor needs replacement. But when the boots were replaced, he cleared the CEL and said to drive and wait for it to come back and we will check things again. Car ran like brand new after replacing 2 coil boots and clearing the CEL.. BUT the shaking part was still there, very...very minimal, but ONLY on idle. Power was back, it pulled fine.

Drove back home for 30ish miles and it was good. Next day in the morning, driving for soccer game, checking the performance, I did a few rolling pulls. Good...for a few minutes. Shaking/LOP came back on cruising speeds, but power was still there on rolling pulls. The same night I was driving it locally, 7 miles one way, the shaking/LOP was there, BUT the RPM needle was kind of jumping up and down a little on idle but in Drive mode, not in Parked/Neutral. That time the was literally shaking/jerking on idle in Drive. I would put it in Neutral or Park when I stood at a red light. Next morning, I just started it to check and CEL started flashing, on the driveway on cold start. I turned it off right away. Dad took it to the shop while I was at work and he said the dashboard was warning him to stop and Park the car. He made it to the shop and was diagnosed with Cylinder misfire #3 and #4.

Idk much more abt the CEL as it was my dad who took it. The bad injector was on cylinder #2 and the broken/lose plug was #1 i think, could be #2, but either one of those. We replaced the coil boots on #1 and #2 only.

Mind you, the mechanic said the plugs were dark/black. I forgot to ask if the plugs were dry and black or wet/greasy black. Dry and black tends more towards rich air/fuel ratio and not burning all the fuel. Wet/greasy black hinting a major problem. He said he is calling someone fro Benz dealership to take a look all around it and see he can dig out. Also, the same bank of engine is throwing carbon deposits out the exhaust, the same side of engine where plugs/injector were replaced, cylinder #s of 1,2,3, and4. The other exhaust pipe is fine.

He also said the tune file or the stock file can get corrupted while uploaded/installing and can cause issues as well. Idk what to think at this point anymore. I'm getting worried and tired lol. I will know more info tomorrow afternoon and will update this thread as I get more info.
Old 02-07-2021, 01:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2019 E63 AMGs
Did you ever figure out what this was? I am having the same issues with my tune (stage 2) on the 2016 E63 AMGs.. Rolling start - flooring it - misfires like crazy at 6000+ rpm - cyliner 1 ,3 5.. then 8
Old 02-11-2022, 07:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 CLS 550
Just curious if you were able to resolve the issue. Would like to hear the outcome.

Thanks!
Old 02-11-2022, 04:15 PM

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
2012 E550 sedan 2019 E63 Wagon
Can everyone posting on this thread, post what the they have done to troubleshoot? There is a list of things that are minor (moneywise), but can cause big issues if not corrected. Wastegates solenoid, oil on harness (camshaft sensor inside the plug) etc.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:42 PM

Received 94 Likes on 59 Posts
2013 E550 Sedan, 2005 E500 4matic Wagon
Extra fuel fouling plugs due to "burble tune"? I'd start there.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dane500:
CaliBenzDriver (02-11-2022), pierrejoliat (02-12-2022)
Old 02-11-2022, 07:50 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by Alan Sakoman
Did you ever figure out what this was? I am having the same issues with my tune (stage 2) on the 2016 E63 AMGs.. Rolling start - flooring it - misfires like crazy at 6000+ rpm - cyliner 1 ,3 5.. then 8
plugs