Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Vibration while braking and other things

Hello guys,
Currently the vehicle got 84k miles on it.

1. While apply brakes (manually or Distronic is activated to slow down in the event of adaptive cruise braking) the steering vibrates.
Dealer charged half hour diag fee of ~$85 and told me I need Front axle brakes and rear axle brakes (part info. below) and mentioned the rotors are rusted and needed replacement, even though the pads and rotors have life on them.
Is there anything I could do, like resurface or just have to get them replaced?

Will look for other websites for cheaper price if replacement is the option.

What is the difference between the TS and the normal brake pads in the below URL, What does TS stand for?
https://www.mbpartscenter.com/search...=007-420-68-20

2. Even on smooth roads, I can hear some knocking sound from the wheel well. Do you guys have any idea what might be broken? They replaced driver side strut and scheduled for passenger side tomorrow, probably I'll ask them to take a look at it.

3. Tranny jerks while upshifting at 3, and 5 gears. Sometimes at 4th gear also. They did a 50 mile test drive and found everything under specs but it drives me crazy. warranty will expire in 5 months and I'm kind of worried.

4. Bluetooth audio skips while streaming, I have latest OS on my 11 Pro Max, I faced this issue since iPhone X release. My COMAND unit is replaced back in April 2019. You guys have the same issue on your bluetooth audio streaming?

Thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:14 PM

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 E350
Sorry not a pro but tried helping you any way i could.

1. If your steering wheel is shaking when braking i thought that would be tire balancing but i also had this and did both change my rear rotors, pads and balanced tired. Car now brakes as well as it did when i got it and no more shaking or vibrating when braking.

2. TS is simply a brand name, the OEM should be made by Bosch i believe. So 0074205820 Is OEM and its not too big of a price difference from TS brand.

3. My transmission had the exact same jerking but from 6 to 7 and 7 down to 6. Changing transmission fluid helped a lot but still happens every now and then. MB said also to me they could not replicate it and couldnt do anything. Yours sounds worse if its lower gears i only have my issue on highway at high speeds. Not sure best action you could take except ask them more or send corporate a question.

4. My 2012 E350 also skips sometimes and i dont know any way to fix it either. Probably due to different Bluetooth versions since iphone 11 pro uses 5.0 which is much newer. It worked fine with my iphone 5s, then i had my iphone 7 and it started skipping so probably is due to bluetooth models.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sarang
Sorry not a pro but tried helping you any way i could.

1. If your steering wheel is shaking when braking i thought that would be tire balancing but i also had this and did both change my rear rotors, pads and balanced tired. Car now brakes as well as it did when i got it and no more shaking or vibrating when braking.
Okay, will order the OEM parts and ship it to the shop.
2. TS is simply a brand name, the OEM should be made by Bosch i believe. So 0074205820 Is OEM and its not too big of a price difference from TS brand.

3. My transmission had the exact same jerking but from 6 to 7 and 7 down to 6. Changing transmission fluid helped a lot but still happens every now and then. MB said also to me they could not replicate it and couldnt do anything. Yours sounds worse if its lower gears i only have my issue on highway at high speeds. Not sure best action you could take except ask them more or send corporate a question.
I requested the Engineer to document them and sent an email to MBUSA representative.
4. My 2012 E350 also skips sometimes and i dont know any way to fix it either. Probably due to different Bluetooth versions since iphone 11 pro uses 5.0 which is much newer. It worked fine with my iphone 5s, then i had my iphone 7 and it started skipping so probably is due to bluetooth models.
Probably I have to live with it now
MBPARTSHQ.COM brought the total down to 370$ Thanks Dan for the URL.
Old 01-08-2020, 10:21 AM

Received 277 Likes on 178 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon, 2010 GL450
If you're getting shuddering only when braking, you need new rotors. If it's shaking all the time, then it'd be something like out of balance tires. I recommend checking out FCP Euro to see what their pricing is like. I used Zimmerman on the front and rear earlier this year and so far it's been great. They have a silver coating so they don't rust up.
Old 01-08-2020, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by atraudes
If you're getting shuddering only when braking, you need new rotors. If it's shaking all the time, then it'd be something like out of balance tires. I recommend checking out FCP Euro to see what their pricing is like. I used Zimmerman on the front and rear earlier this year and so far it's been great. They have a silver coating so they don't rust up.
FCP is 80$ more than MBpartsHQ. Only advantage is lifetime warranty even on wear and tear items..! contemplating between the two.

Edit: I chickened out and got the OEM ones from MBPartsHQ.com,
Final price: 420 from MBPartsHQ (after 5% discount on parts and paid 64$ for shipping).
FCP is around 485$.

reason:
back in 2012, some aftermarket brake pad my mechanic suggested for 2004 Nissan Sentra had manufacturing defect and it spoiled the rotor at the end of the day. The company honored the warranty, paid for labor and replaced the rotor for free.

Here in this situation, FCP will not honor the labor, since I'm buying OEM from MBParts, Mercedes is ready to offer some warranty on them (just spoke to the manager).

Last edited by raja777m; 01-08-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Originally Posted by raja777m
Here in this situation, FCP will not honor the labor, since I'm buying OEM from MBParts, Mercedes is ready to offer some warranty on them (just spoke to the manager).
What kind of warranty are you looking for on new brakes? The chance you get a defective pad/rotor is infinitesimally small. If you are planning to keep the car for a long time, it makes sense to go with FCP Euro and use the warranty to get new brakes in the future. If this is the last brake job you'll probably ever need to do during your ownership, then you could go whichever route.

As for your rough shifting - have you had them check engine/transmission mounts?
Old 01-09-2020, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
For your bluetooth problems, have you asked them to update Comand? Usually they won't update firmware on the car unless you can specify a problem so maybe they'll do so for you when you complain about it.

Also I would have just gone FCPeuro with Zimmerman rotors and Akebono pads. The brakes are nothing special and any indy could have done it for way less. I believe the MB labor warranty is 12 months/12k but their parts warranty is 24/24k.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
For your bluetooth problems, have you asked them to update Comand? Usually they won't update firmware on the car unless you can specify a problem so maybe they'll do so for you when you complain about it.
They mentioned the COMAND is up to date. Last replaced is in April 2019 with brand new unit and updated software. They checked the software and reinstalled the latest version in July 2019.
Old 01-10-2020, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by raja777m
They mentioned the COMAND is up to date. Last replaced is in April 2019 with brand new unit and updated software. They checked the software and reinstalled the latest version in July 2019.
Bluetooth audio always skips a little while streaming, but usually not that noticeable. But that's why I prefer a wired connection, no skipping at all. You can try deleting the pairing on the car and the phone and redo the pairing. Also restart phone and kill apps that are running in the background. Other than that, an occasional skip is the nature of bluetooth.
Old 01-10-2020, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Bluetooth audio always skips a little while streaming, but usually not that noticeable. But that's why I prefer a wired connection, no skipping at all. You can try deleting the pairing on the car and the phone and redo the pairing. Also restart phone and kill apps that are running in the background. Other than that, an occasional skip is the nature of bluetooth.
I've tried around 6 phones in 1 year. all of them of Xs Max and or 11 Pro Max. One being iPhone 8.
they all had the same issue..
Old 01-10-2020, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
Have you tried any bluetooth device that is NOT and Apple?

I recommend Centric brand rotors and pads if available, Centric premium (coated/painted) are also sold as the name Stoptech, sounds like maybe you already bought some parts. I DIY and I just always replace pads and rotors with new when I need brakes.
Old 01-10-2020, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jonUF02
Have you tried any bluetooth device that is NOT and Apple?

I recommend Centric brand rotors and pads if available, Centric premium (coated/painted) are also sold as the name Stoptech, sounds like maybe you already bought some parts. I DIY and I just always replace pads and rotors with new when I need brakes.

Haven't tried yet, may be I'll check with the OnePlus Two I got laying around.

I already purchased the OEM ones from MBPartsHQ.com.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update:
I got the parts shipped to the dealer and they packed this way:

The guys at the dealer didn't install them properly, they forgot to add some paste or something, which made them judder when I apply the brakes at speeds less than 2-3 mph.

I took it to the dealer after a week from installation and then they showed me the above pic.
The service manager argued that I have to have drilled rotors because I had them before the replacement. I mentioned, Drilled are not necessary, as long as they are vented properly. The previous owner might have used drilled rotors because of his choice and I followed the part numbers.

I just wanted to share with you guys, how the packaging is handled on the MBPartsHQ side. As others have mentioned, FCP is the other way to go for these parts if you're doing at an indy shop or on your own. If it is a dealer, your choice.