(Video) Replace Brake Fluid by Oneself

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 11:22 PM
Banned

Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts
1983 Nissan SHlTBOX
Originally Posted by up_too_late
True, not a must have to complete the job. But a game changer when compared to asking your wife or teenager to come out and pump the brakes while you operate the bleeder valve. It almost makes it fun.
I should have clarified, I meant with no other tools, or assistance. This is a one-man job either way.

1) Fill res
2) Crack bleeder with hose on it into container
3) Hop in the driver's seat and manually pump brakes slowly and steadily whilst keeping an eye on res fluid level
4) Close bleeder when finished
5) Repeat
Old 02-27-2021, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,393 Likes on 2,575 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Too slow for one man job without power bleeder. The brake fluid reservoir is so small and I think it is not visible fluid level wise while driver in seat pumping brakes.
I have that Motive power Bleeder and it is so convenient and cheap for what it can do.
The other beauty is the constant fluid discharge which can detect the smallest of air bubble, compared to pulsating brake pedal push.
Less mess too, so it is better.

My car need 1.8 liter to flush out using double bleeding/flushing sequence, which guarantee all old fluid gone.
The ABS pump reservoir being properly flushed or not ?.... I can not comment.

A car brake is a dead end non circulating hydraulic system.
The most abused fluid is at the front disc brake lines, I tend to flush the front a little more generous even when already using double flush sequence.
Due to my last brake fluid service life has 20 laps of fun-at-circuit driving, the front right brake fluid has the worst greenish color of all. The other circuits has that light nice cooking oil yellow.

At 1.8 liters fill, without a power bleeder, its going to be a waste of time and paintwork risk during manually filling the brake fluid reservoir.
I think the brake fluid reservoir is a 200-300cc capacity at the most = 6 - 9 manual refill and then in-and-out the car to bleed each caliper.... not worth the time vs the low $$ cost of the power bleeder.

I actually had the power bleeder for quite sometime, but only the last fluid change 21st Jan 2021 I actually used it. Forgot to use it previous fluid change 12 Feb 2019.
It was all done at a workshop anyway.

I am thinking next time around I will do a 1 year brake fluid change and not 2 years, but single flushing sequence and no need double.
This way I can get rid of the front ones, the extra hard working fluid sooner.

Old 02-27-2021, 09:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
I wouldn't do this job without a power bleeder. How much is the bleeder from Motive? $50 from memory. This is nothing in the grand scheme of Mercedes ownership. Or Toyota or Hyundai ownership.