E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Dealer vs Indy shop's Service B pricing...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:16 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
Dealer vs Indy shop's Service B pricing...

Just received a coupon special for the local MB dealership service dept for $399 MB Service B.
Looking at our upcoming 40k Service B needed services, I called my local Indy shop, who has been doing great services for most of our family vehicles over the years. He quoted the fol prices:
$20 Oil & filter change service, I bring in Mobil 1 & MB filter (approx $50)
$35 Cabin dust filter change
$80 Brake Fluid change, DOT 4 synthetic
$20 Wiper Blades change

So for approx $200, I can have my Indy shop do all the work for half the price of the Dealer's, probably more, since Dealer always tack on lots of BS services, taxes & fees to the bottom line on top the "Starting at $399" coupon price & "since yours is an E400...".
Indy shop is a block away from my office, so I can walk to drop off & pick up, but don't get MB Dealership's fancy coffee....

Thoughts...?

Old 02-27-2020, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by NickTH
Just received a coupon special for the local MB dealership service dept for $399 MB Service B.
Looking at our upcoming 40k Service B needed services, I called my local Indy shop, who has been doing great services for most of our family vehicles over the years. He quoted the fol prices:
$20 Oil & filter change service, I bring in Mobil 1 & MB filter (approx $50)
$35 Cabin dust filter change
$80 Brake Fluid change, DOT 4 synthetic
$20 Wiper Blades change

So for approx $200, I can have my Indy shop do all the work for half the price of the Dealer's, probably more, since Dealer always tack on lots of BS services, taxes & fees to the bottom line on top the "Starting at $399" coupon price & "since yours is an E400...".
Indy shop is a block away from my office, so I can walk to drop off & pick up, but don't get MB Dealership's fancy coffee....

Thoughts...?
If you trust and know this Indy shop, I don't see why not.

The 399$ package might not have brake fluid change - please check with the SA once before scheduling - if you pick that route.

Dealer will give you a loaner vehicle if needed, however, if it is a discounted service, they might not honor loaner. YMMV.

I bought the 3-pack PPM for 1750, which is around 300$ cheaper if I price their Services separately (at the dealer). (One-A and One-B services left on this pack) Which usually covers few more additional to the Service packages the dealership put out.

You mentioned 40k service - meaning at 60k you may need to change sparkplugs and get transmission fluid changed (check your manual). Which will be extra cost than the B-service offered. So, does the 3-pack PPM purchase favors your situation which definitely comes with a loaner?
Old 02-27-2020, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,952 Likes on 3,109 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Agree. Is the loaner, coffee and granola bar worth $200? for me the loaner is a significant benefit from a convenience point of view.
The following users liked this post:
raja777m (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
... but don't get MB Dealership's fancy coffee....

Thoughts...?
My local dealer also serves donuts and bananas.
I think Service B covers with dealer more than you listed, but is your indy capable to check for software updates?
How about SCN coding if hidden code (no CEL) will require module replacement?
Than money spend at dealer gives you free roadside assistance.
How about carwash?
Lastly in case you run into a friend during visit, which place will make you look better?
Not saying it has to make sense to pay more at dealer, but there is more than meets the eye.
Consider that last time I was at dealer's for service was about year 1999, when I had new car and I DIY everything I can. MB Service was $78 at the time...

Last edited by kajtek1; 02-27-2020 at 02:42 PM.
KEY08 (02-27-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 09:00 PM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550
If you're still under factory warranty, I'll say stick with The dealer.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E400
I'm out of orig factory warranty, but still under extended warranty for another 2 yrs.

However, how does overpaying at the dealer affects the warranty, if we follow the exact same services schedule?
Old 02-27-2020, 11:26 PM

Received 200 Likes on 113 Posts
2015 ML400 4MATIC, 2014 E350 4MATIC, 2006 E350
I'm out of orig factory warranty, but still under extended warranty for another 2 yrs.

However, how does overpaying at the dealer affects the warranty, if we follow the exact same services schedule?
Servicing at the dealer can give you some goodwill in the future, if something were to go wrong. such as maybe your seat ripping. But in general, i’d just service else where unless you plan to sell you car soon, it just looks good in the records to have it serviced by mercedes. As long as you trust your indy mechanic, then i’d just go there. done. case closed lol
raja777m (02-28-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:34 PM

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
2011 E550

I should have put "warranty" period lol.

Well incase anything happens to the engine down the line, there's a paper trail at the dealer. They can't blame it on anyone else but the service techs they trained.

If you get your oil changed at the Indy, and anything goes wrong, they can absolutely point the finger and say the Indy didn't do something right, despite you having evidence. At that point it would be between you and your Indy.

Think of it this way, it's 200 dollars more, but they give you a rental, which easily is a 60-80 dollar a day car/value. And it usually takes two days to service your car, so you're gonna be paying only an extra 40-80 dollars for the piece of mind and complete and utter immunity from Mercedes denying you coverage if anything goes wrong in the future.

Unless you tuned your car or something, then you might as well go to the Indy lol.

I'm just giving you a heads up, don't think im discouraging you from getting it done by your Indy. If you trust them, and they know what they are doing, you'll be just fine.
Old 02-28-2020, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,499 Likes on 1,171 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by raja777m
If you trust and know this Indy shop, I don't see why not.

The 399$ package might not have brake fluid change - please check with the SA once before scheduling - if you pick that route.

Dealer will give you a loaner vehicle if needed, however, if it is a discounted service, they might not honor loaner. YMMV.

I bought the 3-pack PPM for 1750, which is around 300$ cheaper if I price their Services separately (at the dealer). (One-A and One-B services left on this pack) Which usually covers few more additional to the Service packages the dealership put out.

You mentioned 40k service - meaning at 60k you may need to change sparkplugs and get transmission fluid changed (check your manual). Which will be extra cost than the B-service offered. So, does the 3-pack PPM purchase favors your situation which definitely comes with a loaner?
I kinda agree that the 3 pack is probably a good deal for the OP at this stage. The spark plugs and transmission fluid would be coming up. I think spark plugs at 60 and fluid at 70 and those two probably means you break even on going to the dealer vs the indy. Plus you get a loaner and the car wash. The dealer I go to also has a free breakfast/sandwich bar so way more amenities than the indy. Plus for entertainment, you can wander around the lot at the dealer looking at new models...
raja777m (02-28-2020)
Old 02-28-2020, 09:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts
2014 E350 4M Diamond Silver
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I kinda agree that the 3 pack is probably a good deal for the OP at this stage. The spark plugs and transmission fluid would be coming up. I think spark plugs at 60 and fluid at 70 and those two probably means you break even on going to the dealer vs the indy. Plus you get a loaner and the car wash. The dealer I go to also has a free breakfast/sandwich bar so way more amenities than the indy. Plus for entertainment, you can wander around the lot at the dealer looking at new models...
true
and adding to kajtek1,
if there are any recalls or something is not right, dealer might change it for free. You know, like faded wood trim pieces (they honored the ones on the dashboard in 2020. Yeah, its a 2014 vehicle.
Old 02-28-2020, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,742 Likes on 1,389 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Plus for entertainment, you can wander around the lot at the dealer looking at new models...
Since when looking at all those AMG models is a good thing?
Just make sure you don't take your significant other with you.