E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Whistling / squeaking while driving e350 4Matic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w212
Cool Whistling / squeaking while driving e350 4Matic

Hello to all forum users. This is my first thread. I have the following problem. In my Mercedes, w212 E350 4Matic 272km, for some time while driving you hear a whistle / squeak, generally a strange twitter. It can be heard from about 60km / h up ... as if from the central console. This thanks to the speed increases, as if something was spinning, some "propeller" (of course it can be confusing, but I have such feelings). I have already excluded the blower fan, I checked all the plastics from the bottom of the car, at the wheel arches, I would also like to point out that: the sound does not change with gear changes, i.e. rather not from the gearbox. Performing a violent right / left maneuver, no disturbing sounds can be heard, rather than tires - I shifted the front to the back and it's the same. I can't hear anything at low speed, I can't hear anything extra under the hood. Possibly a wheel bearing? In addition, I write that I spun the whole console I tried to record this sound while driving here are 3 links:
I need your help / suggestion what it can be because for now I have run out of ideas. Thank you in advance.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
Check front wheel bearing. That what was wrong on mine but I only had about 1000 miles on it. defective bearing. they did not even carry it, it had to be ordered. They said they never go bad? Other people on this thread have had the same problem.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:57 PM

w212
Hi again,
thank you for the suggestions. I will write what I have done since last post. I also thought it could be some bearing in the wheel and although I did not rule it out completely, I think that it is not a bearing. Turning right / lively while driving this sound does not change, and the wheels do not make additional noises - there is no so-called roaring, nothing - everything is perfect. Because this sound clearly comes from the center console (near the ashtray, cup holder) I decided to record one more video. I took out the ashtray, cup holder and rubber pad under the handle ... and you can hear it like this.
I wonder if there could be a fan there, what could it start to make noise as the speed increases? Maybe some ventilation for the armrest? But it would probably also make noise at a stop? and at the stop nothing, audible it is as I wrote from about 60km / h ... What suggestions?
Old 04-09-2020, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
The only thing that I know that makes noise the faster you go is a wheel bearing. Drive slow or stop and no noise. E350 are known for having left front wheel bearing go. Good luck on search for something else. I would listen to your noise but I have hearing aids and noise has to really be loud for me to hear.
Old 04-10-2020, 08:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W212 E400 4Matic < W211 E350 4Matic
I had a similar whistling sound issue around 50MPH and up. I could hear it more prominent if I put my ear closer to the rearview mirror.

My car was under factory warranty, I took it to the dealer, the master tech immediately told me, it was coming from the front grille. They had to add insulation in the front grille, once that was done, I have never heard the whistling noise.

I know, it is quite frustrating.

I hope this helps!
Old 06-06-2020, 07:46 AM

2014 Sport E-Class
Hello Pabloo1983,
Below and attached pictures were solved my issue some time ago during 2017.
My issue symptom was similar to your- The whistle noise during high speed >60mph.
The noise was injected between the front grill and the front bumper.
Trying to eliminate it by temporarily put a certain tape around it as seen on my attached pictures and make a test drive. If it is then, the way I did was injecting a slightly good quality clear silicon between the grill and the front bumper.
My E350 issue has been gone since.
Hope it will be helpful.
Take care