E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Wagon Question - What are you using to carry bikes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 06:49 PM

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 S212
Wagon Question - What are you using to carry bikes?

Hello fellow station owners. There are two options it seems and i am having a hard time deciding which is more convenient, and more cost effective.
1. Roof rack: what cross bars do you use and what type of carrier? For this option, I would likely pick the OEM MB crossbars (since I can use with and without any attachments) and anything I can find in used or sale or cheap for the bike carrier(s).
2. Rear: is there anything that mounts safely on the gate or is installing a hitch the only rear carrier alternative? Oris cost is likely somewhere between $4k - $14k and apparently unavailable as aftermarket. There is e-trailer which requires two 1/2 in. holes on the underside of the bumper bar. It looks to be well priced at about $140-$150 and easy to install but I am not too keen on leaving a bunch of metal shavings up there.

Off the bat, it appears that the roof option is the priciest, but on the other hand, I am almost certain there will be a time or two when I will wish I would had bought the crossbars. However, I don't believe this is the most user friendly, not so much for reaching (I am 6'1") but the dirt and added risk of pano-roof related mishaps.

What are you using and love /hate /recommend?
Old 05-20-2020, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Been carrying bikes on different vehicles and in the past the roof rack was unbeatable. Harder to put the bike on, but no rattle, no scratching and nothing on your way.
That said lately on parking lot I notice rear platform rack, who had slots for bike wheels. I did not hesitate to try to ratle it and hitch had to have some kit that kept it very solid.
No personal experience with it, but the looks were impressive.
Old 05-20-2020, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,752 Likes on 1,122 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
If I had a wagon instead of a sedan, I would open the "tailgate," lay-down the rear seats, and shove those bikes in the cubic space provided. It's the reason most people buy a wagon vs a sedan (or to avoid an SUV/minivan).

I'm reminded of the TV commercial where the guy with a roof rack destroys his bikes (and car roof?) when entering a parking garage (one's own garage for that matter).

The rear bumper rack will invariably get in the way when you need to open the rear gate. The swing-out bike racks may be a workaround, but they are bulky, and present problems of their own. And uninstalling and reinstalling rear bike racks over and over will get old enough that eventually you will end up using the cavern in the wagon instead, anyway. Let the bike rack gather dust in the attic sitting next to that Nordic Track.

Nope, just take off the quick-connect front wheels on those bikes and shove those toys in the back. Arrive in style, making others wish they had a wagon.

Last edited by DFWdude; 05-20-2020 at 10:49 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rey_winslow (05-22-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 02:16 PM

2016 S212
Originally Posted by DFWdude
If I had a wagon instead of a sedan, I would open the "tailgate," lay-down the rear seats, and shove those bikes in the cubic space provided. It's the reason most people buy a wagon vs a sedan (or to avoid an SUV/minivan).

I'm reminded of the TV commercial where the guy with a roof rack destroys his bikes (and car roof?) when entering a parking garage (one's own garage for that matter).

The rear bumper rack will invariably get in the way when you need to open the rear gate. The swing-out bike racks may be a workaround, but they are bulky, and present problems of their own. And uninstalling and reinstalling rear bike racks over and over will get old enough that eventually you will end up using the cavern in the wagon instead, anyway. Let the bike rack gather dust in the attic sitting next to that Nordic Track.

Nope, just take off the quick-connect front wheels on those bikes and shove those toys in the back. Arrive in style, making others wish they had a wagon.
Thanks for the input. and comments. Your point is quite valid but with some challenges of its own.
- First off, quick connects are not all that quick, at least with traditional brakes.
- Second, depending on size, I need to remove the seat as well which is easy by greasy.
- Third, I still need the 40% seat up for the little guy so I am not sure if I can fit 2 adult bikes side by side in the 60% side. Think pedals and steering bars.
- Fourth, besides the ease of dropping the seat, one needs to remove the cover bar and the crate with the necessities every time and then put everything back every time, not too far off the bother of the hitch hassle you described, AND clean the interior, which is beige in my case, including the headliner.
- Lastly, this is not as conducive for a family as it would be for a pair of adults.
Regarding the potential for a garage door disaster, I have seen it with my own two eyes in a couple of instances and yes, it is dreadful, but I am counting on those vivid experiences to be a constant reminder. .

So far, it looks to me that roof is more fitting to mine and my family's habits but it also seems that this is the expensive route as well. There are tons of hitch options in all price ranges but I dont really want to install a hitch. Form does follow function but this is a beautifully designed car and i would not want to disrespect the lines by adding a gaping square hole in the back.of the car.
Old 05-20-2020, 02:27 PM

2016 S212
I am finding that getting the original crossbars is quite the challenge. So I ordered them from Open Road dealer in NJ at the link below and they are on sale making them a better alternative than Thule or Yakima. Basic square tube is not an option for me. I am quite confident they will howl and whistle like crazy. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271890664180. Based on my search, they are the best deal out there right now, brand new OEM in its original packaging with a 2 week return and a one year warranty, delivered for US $335.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:00 PM

Received 277 Likes on 178 Posts
2011 E350 Wagon, 2010 GL450
FWIW, I have the OEM crossbars and they hum like crazy at speeds over 40 mph. I leave them off unless I'm using them. They're crazy useful and strong though! My biggest beef with them is how the positioning is so limited because of the taper of the roof rails. I had to mark each end of the racks with what position they go on the car to save me from having to waste time figuring out where they go every time.
The following users liked this post:
wdbii (05-22-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ClasseMiaMadra
..., brand new OEM in its original packaging with a 2 week return and a one year warranty, delivered for US $335.
For years MB was relabeling Thule racks for their dealerships. I think lately they switched to Yakima, but whatever it is - it is not made by Mercedes factory.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:09 AM

2016 S212
Originally Posted by kajtek1
For years MB was relabeling Thule racks for their dealerships. I think lately they switched to Yakima, but whatever it is - it is not made by Mercedes factory.
That is interesting. Neither Thule nor Yakima show any matches for the MB crossbars.
Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S212 Sport Package
Both Racks

I have both.

I use the Thule Aero bars with a pair of Thule fork mounts for the kids bikes. Then a Saris "No Touch" hitch rack on a 1-1/4 hitch for the back.

When I'm not in road trip mode, I fold the seats down and throw it in back.

The following 3 users liked this post by SKullman:
atraudes (05-21-2020), ClasseMiaMadra (05-21-2020), wdbii (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 12:54 PM

2016 S212
Originally Posted by SKullman
I have both.

I use the Thule Aero bars with a pair of Thule fork mounts for the kids bikes. Then a Saris "No Touch" hitch rack on a 1-1/4 hitch for the back.

When I'm not in road trip mode, I fold the seats down and throw it in back.
Thank you. cool setup. would you share details about the hitch please?
Old 05-21-2020, 01:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 S212 Sport Package
Yup, here you go:

Curt Class 1 from eTrailer
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...eID=2013306473
Just a note on the hitch, be sure to invest in a really good drill bit and have a good drill. The German steel was a pita to drill through.

Saris SuperClamp EX
https://www.saris.com/product/superclamp-ex-2

Old 05-21-2020, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Technology doesn't need much those days to surprise even technical guy like me.
Major problem with rear bike rack used to be rattling and wheels turning while in drive.
This new rack has a clamp holding the tires, meaning no more paint scratches on bike nor on the car. Amazing.
Just like with cupholders in camping chairs, it took 50 years to figure out simple thing.

Last edited by kajtek1; 05-21-2020 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2013 E350 Kombi
I have both.
You also have plants growing out of your rain gutter!
Old 05-22-2020, 09:41 PM

2016 S212
Thanks for the feedback, everyone.