E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Muffled Speaker Issue, HK7

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-05-2020, 07:01 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 e250 bluetec
Muffled Speaker Issue, HK7

I'm hoping the brain trust on here can help me figure out this strange, intermittent issue I've been having with audio quality coming from the LF channel of my HK system. Since purchasing the car new, the LF channel (specifically the tweeter) would occasionally stop making any sound unless I raise the volume, then it would suddenly come back on and stay on. While under warranty, the dealer changed the amp and that seemed to fix things. Recently (about 2 years later), the same exact issue resurfaced from the same LF channel. I purchased a used amp on ebay, replaced it myself, and it seems to have worked. More recently however, I've been noticing that occasionally, the LF channel will sound "muffled" or less clear than the RF channel. Sound is still being emitted, but at a lower volume. This only happens occasionally. I thought maybe the tweeter speaker was going bad, so I replaced that, but it seems to be still occurring.

I'm hesitant to replace the large mid/bass speaker in the door because even when the LF channel wasn't making sound, that specific speaker on the LF channel would still have some bass sound coming through, whereas the tweeter speaker on that channel would not emit anything (prior to replacing the amp myself).

Any ideas as to what may be causing this? I figure there has to be something causing resistance on that audio channel and possibly burning out the amp over time. There are no visible signs of water intrusion in the door or drivers' side floorboard.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
As you may have seen on here recently as it has gotten warmer - the 2014s are prone to melting speakers. It seems to be defective amplifiers to blame. Are the amplifiers from the newer W212s compatible with the 2014s?
Old 06-05-2020, 08:45 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 e250 bluetec
I’m not sure. This is my third amplifier, purchased used on eBay, same part number as was replaced previously. It’s only been in for a few weeks. Is it strange that the sound issue only happens on one channel? And the same LF channel at that?