E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Should I be able to move wipers by hand?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Should I be able to move wipers by hand?

My car's windshield was replaced here recently, and I was looking at it tonight and the park position of the wipers has changed since replacement. The wipers now are both perfectly even, but both visible from the drivers seat. With the factory windshield, the passenger wiper was invisible to the driver while parked. So I thought it made perfect sense the way the installer put everything back together.. and it doesn't bother me.

However.. tonight I was looking at something and I just sort of pushed upwards on the passenger wiper. I didn't put much force behind it as I just wanted it to flex about an inch so I could check to see if I had a chip in the new windshield. Well, I was able to push the passenger arm (and the driver one followed) halfway up the windshield with little effort. I checked the MX-5, thinking I was crazy, and its wipers will not give at all. Also you cannot push the Benz's driver wiper upwards, it won't go. But it will follow if you push the passenger.

Is this normal? The wipers work fine. As a matter of fact, they've stopped chattering with the new windshield.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts
2016 S550
Mine does this, I can push the passenger side and both wipers will go up easily, full range. I can’t push the driver’s side though. I don’t know if this is normal or not, since I didn’t push it before I had my windshield replaced recently. It works normally though, but I think my passenger side is more visible at the joint, whereas the driver side is flush and not visible while driving.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
Mine does this, I can push the passenger side and both wipers will go up easily, full range. I can’t push the driver’s side though. I don’t know if this is normal or not, since I didn’t push it before I had my windshield replaced recently. It works normally though, but I think my passenger side is more visible at the joint, whereas the driver side is flush and not visible while driving.
Thanks. I did manage to confirm that this was normal behavior.. odd.. but normal. I had to adjust park position of the wipers after windshield replacement.
Old 05-02-2021, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB 220 w212
park position for passenger windshield wiper

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Thanks. I did manage to confirm that this was normal behavior.. odd.. but normal. I had to adjust park position of the wipers after windshield replacement.
Hello Lilbenz230, hello everybody,
I have had the windshield replaced after a stone chipped it.
The windshield wipers must have been removed and reinstalled when the glass was changed.
Now the passenger side is a bit higher than where it ought to be when off and it gets marginally in my line of vision.
I see that you had the same problem and you fixed it by adjusting the park position of said wiper.
May I ask a question? How does one do that?
I would like to slightly lower the resting position.

Thanx in advance.
Old 05-02-2021, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
However.. tonight I was looking at something and I just sort of pushed upwards on the passenger wiper. I didn't put much force behind it as I just wanted it to flex about an inch so I could check to see if I had a chip in the new windshield. Well, I was able to push the passenger arm (and the driver one followed) halfway up the windshield with little effort. I checked the MX-5, thinking I was crazy, and its wipers will not give at all. Also you cannot push the Benz's driver wiper upwards, it won't go. But it will follow if you push the passenger.

Is this normal? The wipers work fine. As a matter of fact, they've stopped chattering with the new windshield.
I may have to try this experiment myself. What color towel should I use?
The following 2 users liked this post by DFWdude:
MBNUT1 (05-02-2021), pierrejoliat (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by 95Sinned420
Mine does this, I can push the passenger side and both wipers will go up easily, full range. I can’t push the driver’s side though. I don’t know if this is normal or not,
THIS IS NORMAL
Passenger side is closer to the motor, links very short too and has two links....so manualy use the passenger side to move wiper by hand.
I learnt this when I did my angle adjustment.

The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
CaliBenzDriver (05-02-2021), pierrejoliat (05-02-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,376 Likes on 2,565 Posts
2014 - W212.065 - E400 ( M276.820, 3 liter Turbo) RWD not Hybrid
Originally Posted by azorat
Hello Lilbenz230, hello everybody,
I have had the windshield replaced after a stone chipped it.
The windshield wipers must have been removed and reinstalled when the glass was changed.
Now the passenger side is a bit higher than where it ought to be when off and it gets marginally in my line of vision.
I see that you had the same problem and you fixed it by adjusting the park position of said wiper.
May I ask a question? How does one do that?
I would like to slightly lower the resting position.

Thanx in advance.
If you want to adjust wiper resting position, read the PDF no 2,3 & 4 in this thread below.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...incidence.html

First verify which one is actually the wrong positioned one by doing what the PDF showed as measurement.
The wiper stick sit on a splined fitting, the spinning splined fitting that is, so it can be "adjusted" to some extend, 1 spline left or right.
I tried the driver side one already, easy because single spinning spline. If the passenger side has two splines...me worry of alignment problem between the 2 links.

This is the spline I speak of, not from a W212, but same item.Bororwed from a Honda Forum

Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by S-Prihadi:
CaliBenzDriver (05-03-2021), pierrejoliat (05-03-2021)
Old 05-02-2021, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Talking

Originally Posted by DFWdude
I may have to try this experiment myself. What color towel should I use?
I thought you guys were partial to butternut.
Old 05-03-2021, 03:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Suzuki cultus, Hond city 2011, Honda city 2003, hopefully and E250 soon
I had opened my nozzle assembly, and yes you can adjust the wiper up and down manually. But I would not recommend doing it often.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My windshield has now been replaced a second time, and the wipers are parked like they were from the factory. Probably because this last time, the car was repaired at a shop familiar with Benzes.

Oddly, my car had the wiper chatter that would not stop on the factory windshield. As I noted in this post, those stopped with the aftermarket FUYAO glass in June. Now the car has an OEM windshield again and the chatter still has never returned. So there's that.

Old 05-03-2021, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by pierrejoliat
I thought you guys were partial to butternut.
WTF? My wife of 46 years would take issue with this.
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 12:49 PM

My windshield has now been replaced a second time, and the wipers are parked like they were from the factory. Probably because this last time, the car was repaired at a shop familiar with Benzes.

Oddly, my car had the wiper chatter that would not stop on the factory windshield. As I noted in this post, those stopped with the aftermarket FUYAO glass in June. Now the car has an OEM windshield again and the chatter still has never returned. So there's that.
hi lilben if you could help me out. Asover my comment I have removed the nozzle assembly. And the plastic panel. Which you would have also removed for taking off the windscreen, there seems to be a rubber holder running through the width of the windscreen and is glued between the windscreen and the cars frame at the bottom. In this holder the plastic panel of the washer nozzles slides into. My plastic panel isn't sitting in properly and is raised. Applying pressure doesn't work as instead of sliding into the holder, the holder just bends down since its rubber. Any idea how I might fix this? Since the panel is now raised and there is a a gap.(idk the technical name)
Old 05-03-2021, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Umairkhalid
hi lilben if you could help me out. Asover my comment I have removed the nozzle assembly. And the plastic panel. Which you would have also removed for taking off the windscreen, there seems to be a rubber holder running through the width of the windscreen and is glued between the windscreen and the cars frame at the bottom. In this holder the plastic panel of the washer nozzles slides into. My plastic panel isn't sitting in properly and is raised. Applying pressure doesn't work as instead of sliding into the holder, the holder just bends down since its rubber. Any idea how I might fix this? Since the panel is now raised and there is a a gap.(idk the technical name)
I wish I could help, but my car's windshield was replaced by professionals both times and I did not watch the process. I don't actually know how it goes back together.
Old 05-03-2021, 01:10 PM

I wish I could help, but my car's windshield was replaced by professionals both times and I did not watch the process. I don't actually know how it goes back together.
ah sure, no probs mate. If you hear something, drop a comment here though please
Old 05-03-2021, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by S-Prihadi
THIS IS NORMAL
Passenger side is closer to the motor, links very short too and has two links....so manualy use the passenger side to move wiper by hand.
I learnt this when I did my angle adjustment.
The secret is the 4-point linkage that the passenger side wipe is mounted to. Linkage is such the a lot less force is needed to move the wipe as the linkage multiplies the force to the motor shaft.

As the wipe moves the force ratio changes so it may get hard to do the full stroke from this wipe too.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arrie:
CaliBenzDriver (05-03-2021), pierrejoliat (05-03-2021)