E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

[HELP] Can’t turn off Air Conditioner.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 12:09 PM
YAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S212
[Solved] Can’t turn off Air Conditioner.

My AC is working cool every day.
I don’t feel anything bad in a hot day.

However, I can’t turn off the compressor by turning off the AC button after started working.

Even though I turned off the AC button, cold air could continue.

I had to stop air conditioning system once by using OFF button to stop compressor then I had to restart blow again, even if I just wanna stop only AC and if I still need natural temps air circulation.

I don’t know it’s a problem or normal.
Does anyone know what’s the reason?

Thanks for helping.

S212, E250 -2010.

Last edited by YAP; 07-24-2020 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,751 Likes on 1,121 Posts
2016 E350 Sport
After turning off the A/C at the button, it will take several minutes before the air blows warm. Turn it off and wait...
The following 3 users liked this post by DFWdude:
MBNUT1 (07-20-2020), pierrejoliat (07-21-2020), YAP (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 10:39 AM
YAP

S212
Originally Posted by DFWdude
After turning off the A/C at the button, it will take several minutes before the air blows warm. Turn it off and wait...
Thanks, DFWdude.
I tried check it according to your advice.

Since I activated A/C, then I turned off the A/C button.

Cold blow continued several minutes then it turned to warm actually like you mentioned.

1st try
It spent 6 minutes.

2nd try
It spent 1 minute.

3rd try
It spent 4 minutes.

Are these results correct?
Old 07-21-2020, 10:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,124 Likes on 750 Posts
12 E350 4Matic 13 E350 4Matic AMG Sport
Originally Posted by YAP
Thanks, DFWdude.

Cold blow continued several minutes then it turned to warm actually like you mentioned.

1st try
It spent 6 minutes.

2nd try
It spent 1 minute.

3rd try
It spent 4 minutes.

That's how mine works, Takes awhile to decide to turn off, but does eventually.
The following users liked this post:
YAP (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by YAP
Thanks, DFWdude.

1st try
It spent 6 minutes.

2nd try
It spent 1 minute.

3rd try
It spent 4 minutes.

Pretty much, yes. In the Spring and late Fall, I like to run the car with fresh, outside air rather than A/C. It takes minutes to get the ambient air flowing. Works the same on my earlier C320, too.
YAP (07-22-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
I noticed this as well... however experience with older cars including MB is when you switched off the A/C is was nearly instant. So I suspect on this car, when you toggle the A/C the controller has logic, so its not a direct switch (more input). Maybe its related how long the compressor has been running, temps, humidity, minimum time running since its compressor cycle, etc...
YAP (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 10:32 AM

Received 371 Likes on 279 Posts
2013 SL550 BiTurbo
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I noticed this as well... however experience with older cars including MB is when you switched off the A/C is was nearly instant. So I suspect on this car, when you toggle the A/C the controller has logic, so its not a direct switch (more input). Maybe its related how long the compressor has been running, temps, humidity, minimum time running since its compressor cycle, etc...
Also, I don't think the AC compressor has a clutch, so it takes time to complete the reaction and warm up the evaporator by opening the orifice valve...at least that's how it worked in the early 2000s. Had an SL compressor lock up and it blew out the rubber coupling where the clutch usually is to allow it to free-spin separate from the compressor shaft. And that is the only AC compressor replacement I've EVER done on a Benz...
YAP (07-22-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 07-22-2020, 12:02 PM
YAP

S212
Thank you guys.

I am a beginner. This is first post.
What an interesting discussion.
So, double thanks.

I guess SAM controls it but it seems buggy in my feeling.

Anyway,
When I’d like air blow (no A/C) ASAP, instantly, immediately, we have to do next 3 actions.
-Push “A/C” (light off)
-Push “OFF”
-Push Any button except for “A/C”.
It does not seem smart but I don’t wish to wait several minutes probably.

And also do you guys think that this order is not good for the system protection?
If the computer was programmed to protect compressor or something....but I don’t know.
Should I wait several minutes rather than above 3 actions?

By the way, Do you guys think that the waiting time can be changed since some reasons about refrigerator gas or oils refills ?

My low pressure is 38 psi (while idling). I think it's bit lower in medium value. Probably 45-50 psi would be better, I guess.
Although I don’t have any gear to measure high pressure valve.

Last edited by YAP; 07-23-2020 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by YAP
Thank you guys.

I am a beginner. This is first post.
What an interesting discussion.
So, double thanks.

I guess SAM controls it but it seems buggy in my feeling.

Anyway,
When I’d like air blow (no A/C) ASAP, instantly, immediately, we have to do next 3 actions.
-Push “A/C” (light off)
-Push “OFF”
It does not seem smart but I don’t wish to wait several minutes probably.

And also do you guys think that this order is not good for the system protection?
If the computer was programmed to protect compressor or something....but I don’t know.
Should I wait several minutes?

By the way, Do you guys think that the waiting time can be changed since some reasons about refrigerator gas or oils refills ?

My lower pressure is 38 psi. Bit lower medium value. I don’t have any gear to measure high pressure valve.
The easier solution for getting non-cooled air in the car is to change your temperature set point up for those 5-7 minutes that it takes for the evaporator (cooling coil) to warm up again after compressor shut down. Then you need to change temperature back down after cooling is lost...

The rather long time it takes for the cooling coil to run out of cool I think is to serve cars with the ECO engine START/STOP. If the coil would instantly loose cool it would mean ECO START/STOP would never work in warm climate as A/C would be lost for any length of engine stop.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by Arrie
The rather long time it takes for the cooling coil to run out of cool I think is to serve cars with the ECO engine START/STOP. If the coil would instantly loose cool it would mean ECO START/STOP would never work in warm climate as A/C would be lost for any length of engine stop.
You might be on to something with this, Arrie. But I recall my dad's 1970 Buick LeSabre, where it's A/C blew cold air long after the Off button was pushed.

A/C does so many things other than simply cool a car's interior. Turn on the windshield defroster and the A/C starts automatically to dehumidify the air hitting the windshield. It's been that way for decades (long before ECO Start/Stop). There are other examples. But yes... serving ECO Start/Stop functions might be just one more reason (among dozens?)

In today's "LUXURY" cars, it's presumed that the owner will let the "Climate Control" unit run automatically, all the time. Hence, I'm not convinced that Luxury cars are engineered to run without full-time climate control. Heck, my 2001 C320 does not even offer an "OFF" button for its A/C. Instead, I select the "Rest" button and wait several minutes for ambient air.

So, on the occassion when A/C is not needed, I think today's luxury car has to complete several steps to shut down, which is against the norm. I've driven my share of econoboxes where the A/C immediately ceases when A/C is "deselected." Not so at all with upmarket, luxury models... of the same era.

Last edited by DFWdude; 07-22-2020 at 04:11 PM.
pierrejoliat (07-27-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 11:57 PM
YAP

S212
Some makes sense.

I still wonder something.

-Push “A/C” (light off)
-Push “OFF”

When I did this order, A/C could stop instantly.
I can hit a natural temps (no AC) air in 2 seconds every time.
It's an easier solution than the solution what Arrie mentioned on #9, I think. (Sorry, and Thank you so much, Arrie).
But I am worry about this solution due to the unknown reason of this system.

When I just turned A/C light off, then I was putting my hand on the center vent while waiting 6 minutes to notice the turning point of actually AC off. The turning point was so clear. That’s not crossfade.

I hope to know the reason and criterion about these additional time.
6 minutes was very long even though I had used AC for only few minutes before the action.
And the timing is not same every time. Sometime 1 minute, sometime 4 minutes.

I thought this is a trouble so I opened this thread.
Now I know there are some friends have similar issues but I don’t know all guys are in same condition.
I also wish to know the average time to stop AC actually since AC light off.

Last edited by YAP; 07-23-2020 at 03:28 AM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 884 Likes on 634 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by YAP
Some makes sense.

I still wonder something.

-Push “A/C” (light off)
-Push “OFF”

When I did this order, A/C could stop instantly.
I can hit a natural temps (no AC) air in 2 seconds every time.
It's an easier solution than the solution what Arrie mentioned on #9, I think. (Sorry, and Thank you so much, Arrie).
But I am worry about this solution due to the unknown reason of this system.

When I just turned A/C light off, then I was putting my hand on the center vent while waiting 6 minutes to notice the turning point of actually AC off. The turning point was so clear. That’s not crossfade.

I hope to know the reason and criterion about these additional time.
6 minutes was very long even though I had used AC for only few minutes before the action.
And the timing is not same every time. Sometime 1 minute, sometime 4 minutes.

I thought this is a trouble so I opened this thread.
Now I know there are some friends have similar issues but I don’t know all guys are in same condition.
I also wish to know the average time to stop AC actually since AC light off.
Both of my cars, the E550 and S550 do the same thing. When I drive and just hit the A/C button to turn the compressor OFF it takes 5-7 minutes before it stops blowing cool air so I'm sure the systems in these two cars are built to work like this. Perhaps it is the "heat" recovery system, or in this case cooling recovery system to use up the cold load from the coil that was made to it by the running compressor?

When you turn the system OFF and then start it without A/C running then it probably skips the recovery part as the compressor was not running first and adjust the air mixing gates so it does not pull cooled air from the evaporator coil?

Just trying to guess how the system works but I'm sure there is nothing wrong in yours.
YAP (07-23-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 01:55 PM
YAP

S212
Originally Posted by Arrie
When I drive and just hit the A/C button to turn the compressor OFF it takes 5-7 minutes before it stops blowing cool air

...:

Just trying to guess how the system works but I'm sure there is nothing wrong in yours.

It’s a great report for me.
Thank you so much !