Transfer case rebuild tips?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2020, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by Arrie
Tapered roller bearings have three types of forces to deal with: The radial force caused by the gear mesh between mating gear wheels, the axial force caused by the gear mesh (helical) between mating gear wheels and sometimes problematic axle (or shaft) heat expansion. Everything else above is quite easy to calculate but the heat expansion. Heat expansion is difficult as the ambient temperature has a role in it.

If I would be doing the job I would err on the "loose" side on the bearing clearance as I would think the good MB engineers got the calculations right for forces but the data for the heat expansion was wrong.
Also, a too loose bearing does not fail unless it is way too loose and before that happens the gears probably are gone first.
Well... I don't have shims with them so I'm not setting the tolerances here. It gets tricky measuring at this accuracy with 100 dollar tools. If bearings and race are the same size and the last one survived 100k miles, I'll live with that.
You also need to account for the type of lubricant and speed of rotation vs various load as well. And we are talking 3/1000s of an inch difference for the tolerance from lose to tight. I think I learned enough to understand that I have no clue. The only thing I can do is check the new bearings and ensure clean and carefull installation.
The following 2 users liked this post by NYCGLK:
Ferris_E550 (08-26-2020), pierrejoliat (08-25-2020)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 712 Posts
2010 E350 4Matic
Tapered roller bearings have three types of forces to deal with: The radial force caused by the gear mesh between mating gear wheels, the axial force caused by the gear mesh (helical) between mating gear wheels and sometimes problematic axle (or shaft) heat expansion. Everything else above is quite easy to calculate but the heat expansion. Heat expansion is difficult as the ambient temperature has a role in it.

If I would be doing the job I would err on the "loose" side on the bearing clearance as I would think the good MB engineers got the calculations right for forces but the data for the heat expansion was wrong.
Also, a too loose bearing does not fail unless it is way too loose and before that happens the gears probably are gone first.
Feel like I am back in a design review. Spent quite a bit of time on journal bearings but none on roller or ball bearings.

FWIW the Indy said that the premature failure after the first rebuild was too tight of clearances. I think that they based that on the distress they saw on the races after the teardown.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 08-25-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 08-25-2020, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EcOOCcBuycgmYH

Based on reading this:
Output/input shafts of a transmission are projecta set...aka using expensive equipment to get it right and not think about it during assembly.
How many transmissions a year are being produced (millions), nobody is setting any tolerances for each TC. "Here is the shim, here is bearing press in, next."
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (08-26-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,007 Likes on 675 Posts
'11 E350, '11 E550, '98 M3, '95 E320
Originally Posted by NYCGLK
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...EcOOCcBuycgmYH

Based on reading this:
Output/input shafts of a transmission are projecta set...aka using expensive equipment to get it right and not think about it during assembly.
How many transmissions a year are being produced (millions), nobody is setting any tolerances for each TC. "Here is the shim, here is bearing press in, next."
I wouldn't be surprised if its the "set-right" process, where-in they "accounted" for and controlled the tolerances to eliminate setting clearances. That said, its possible they didn't fully "account" correctly and thus the situation we face. Or what happens often at my job (making helicopters), is a supplier and/or material is changed and the initial inspection/QA doesn't catch the issue and it isn't till later during a test/acceptance procedure the component fails or causes a failure.
Old 08-26-2020, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic
Originally Posted by bmwpowere36m3
I wouldn't be surprised if its the "set-right" process, where-in they "accounted" for and controlled the tolerances to eliminate setting clearances. That said, its possible they didn't fully "account" correctly and thus the situation we face. Or what happens often at my job (making helicopters), is a supplier and/or material is changed and the initial inspection/QA doesn't catch the issue and it isn't till later during a test/acceptance procedure the component fails or causes a failure.
To me it is either a supplier or assembly QC or engineering miss or for the sake of fuel mileage (ie reduced driveline losses) they decided to accept lower min life.

When I hear people saying that they think the bearing is undersized that speaks to an engineering issue design or management.

Last edited by MBNUT1; 08-26-2020 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 E350 4Matic

I wonder if the indy took this tack ie set the tolerances loose and that is why I am starting to hear a whine when I slowdown on the highway getting on an off ramp.
Old 08-26-2020, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 631 Posts
2010 E550, 273 Engine: 2012 S550, 278 Engine
Originally Posted by MBNUT1
I wonder if the indy took this tack ie set the tolerances loose and that is why I am starting to hear a whine when I slowdown on the highway getting on an off ramp.
If you now have noise (the whine) coming from the transfer vase the shop working on it may indeed have left the bearing clearance too loose at the second repair. Too tight clearance is bad only for the bearing leading to premature bearing failure. Too loose setting is bad for the gears as loose setting allows shaft distance to change. Depending on the design this allows the axle change angle, i.e. the two axles with gears are not parallel, which can be very bad for the gear wheels. The noise from gear mesh is a sign of improper mesh between gear wheels, which pretty much always is a result of wrong axle distance or angle between the two shafts.

The transfer case on these cars may have a design flaw that cannot be fixed, i.e. for the proper gear mesh bearing clearance must be set to certain limits but then this same clearance it too tight for the fully warmed up gear box and leads to bearing failure.

From the two options I would chose the clearance that keeps gear mesh working correctly and this is why I suggest checking if there is a stronger bearing with the same physical dimensions so the bearing could last a bit longer under too tight clearance setting that is required for the proper gear mesh function.
The following 2 users liked this post by Arrie:
MBNUT1 (08-26-2020), pierrejoliat (08-27-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 09:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Bunch of pics and some updates here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...anny-diff.html
The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-02-2020)
Old 09-28-2020, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Car is fixed and more updates back at the same place. A small set back due to leaks.
https://mbworld.org/forums/glk-class...anny-diff.html
Old 10-06-2020, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl 450, S 430
Just did this on my GL 450. Some say it's a middle of the road type repair, not difficult, not easy. I'd say it's a pain to get out because of the three bolts at the top of the TC. My chain was skipping teeth. If you get the whole thing done in five hours, good on ya!
Old 10-06-2020, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by fvalletta
Just did this on my GL 450. Some say it's a middle of the road type repair, not difficult, not easy. I'd say it's a pain to get out because of the three bolts at the top of the TC. My chain was skipping teeth. If you get the whole thing done in five hours, good on ya!
GL450 has more of stand alone TC so a bit different but I understand uses it's own fluid. How many miles on GL? That sucks that stand alone units still suck.
We have rebuild Cayenne TC (stretched chain and clutches), which is a process. The nice part is you can take TC out and work on it. On GLK/E/S etc. some parts are in the tranny housing which makes it extra PITA.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gl 450, S 430
163k, that 4.7L has a lot of torque, and it's been skipping for a while. The chain that stretches, only stretches a 1/2 - 3/4 inch, that's all it takes. Do you know the fluid to use? Can I use Mobil 1 Trans fluid? Also, for the Rear Diff and Front Diff, what's the fluid, may as well change them all.
Old 10-06-2020, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLK 350 / Porsche 993
Originally Posted by fvalletta
163k, that 4.7L has a lot of torque, and it's been skipping for a while. The chain that stretches, only stretches a 1/2 - 3/4 inch, that's all it takes. Do you know the fluid to use? Can I use Mobil 1 Trans fluid? Also, for the Rear Diff and Front Diff, what's the fluid, may as well change them all.
Check on FCPEuro Typically front and rear diffs will take some sort of diff lube. Transfer case I'm not sure about on your car.