E-Class (W212) 2010 - 2016: E 350, E 550

Sound/Amplifier issue, front left channel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 04:15 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 e250 bluetec
Sound/Amplifier issue, front left channel

Occasionally, if I leave my car parked for a long time (days) or in the sun (hours), I'll return to find that my drivers door speakers (all three) do not have any sound from them. If I raise the volume up, the speakers will suddenly come back to life and continue working for the duration of my drive. I had the amp changed while under warranty, seemed to work for a year, then happened again. I changed the amp 3-4mo ago, and now the issue is back. The most recent amp that I put in my car was from a wrecked 2015 model with the same amp serial number that I had previously.

Is it common for these amps to have this issue, especially with the same speaker channel? I know they updated the amp for the 2016MY (fan is in the middle instead of to the side). Would it be worth replacing the amp AGAIN but this time from a 2016MY or could there be something else going on with the wiring causing the amp to short out?
Old 08-26-2020, 04:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by drdantheman1
I had the amp changed while under warranty, seemed to work for a year, then happened again. I changed the amp 3-4mo ago, and now the issue is back. The most recent amp that I put in my car was from a wrecked 2015 model with the same amp serial number that I had previously.
Current part # is 2129006226, previous 2129005213. As it concerns installed amp have someone pull codes & check for software update using MB diagnostics.

The following users liked this post:
pierrejoliat (09-19-2020)
Old 08-26-2020, 04:43 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
2003 W203 C230, 2016 S212 E350, 2017 Panamera Turbo, 2018 SQ5
If the amp is causing problem, wouldn't that affect all the speakers?

Sounds like this is more of a wiring harness issue with the left front door.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:54 PM

2014 e250 bluetec
Thanks kongstiger! The amp that I installed most recently had part# A2129006226 (the fan was towards one side). When the car was under warranty, the dealer upgraded the software version to most recent level and it did not help, that was prior to first amp replacement.

Bzcat, that's what I would think as well! Very odd to affect only one channel so agreed, could be wiring harness issue. Is there a module in the door where the three speakers connect before it sends the signal back to the amp? I've replaced the tweeter speaker individually but that didn't do anything.
Old 08-26-2020, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Pull door lining, see attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
front door lining.pdf (317.3 KB, 85 views)
Old 09-19-2020, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350
DrDanTheMan,
Did you ever figure out this issue? Mine is doing the exact same thing. Only left front. Start turning up and BAM door starts working. Once I get it to work then all is well.

Thanks
Thom

Originally Posted by drdantheman1
Occasionally, if I leave my car parked for a long time (days) or in the sun (hours), I'll return to find that my drivers door speakers (all three) do not have any sound from them. If I raise the volume up, the speakers will suddenly come back to life and continue working for the duration of my drive. I had the amp changed while under warranty, seemed to work for a year, then happened again. I changed the amp 3-4mo ago, and now the issue is back. The most recent amp that I put in my car was from a wrecked 2015 model with the same amp serial number that I had previously.

Is it common for these amps to have this issue, especially with the same speaker channel? I know they updated the amp for the 2016MY (fan is in the middle instead of to the side). Would it be worth replacing the amp AGAIN but this time from a 2016MY or could there be something else going on with the wiring causing the amp to short out?
Old 09-20-2020, 08:45 AM

2014 e250 bluetec
Glad it's not just me! When it was occurring on a daily basis, I swapped the amplifier and it seems to have helped. Now it only happens occasionally, maybe 2-3x a month. When it starts occurring daily again, I am probably going to take it to my indy and have them replace the mid and bass speaker (I already replaced the tweeter, with no change) and the door wiring. Something there has to be causing an increase in resistance which eventually shorts out the channel on the amp.

FWIW, when I complained about this issue while my car was under warranty (1.5 years ago), the dealer only replaced the amp and said they checked all the wiring, everything had looked good.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:07 AM

E350
Interesting... Well I have no warranty so visiting a dealer is only in the event of an emergency. I will venture down the path using only the forums. I found my amp yesterday and hoping to find a wiring diagram on here somewhere so I can put an impedance meter on my door circuits. That way I can compare left and right door. I am guessing the amp uses fiber for input, so ripping it out and putting in aftermarket amp is probably out of the question. I see used amps on ebay and wonder if they are plug and pray or require some diagnostic equipment to tell the car something has changed?

Thanks
Thom
Old 09-20-2020, 02:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
‘12 W212 E550
Originally Posted by no1tmorrow
Interesting... Well I have no warranty so visiting a dealer is only in the event of an emergency. I will venture down the path using only the forums. I found my amp yesterday and hoping to find a wiring diagram on here somewhere so I can put an impedance meter on my door circuits. That way I can compare left and right door. I am guessing the amp uses fiber for input, so ripping it out and putting in aftermarket amp is probably out of the question. I see used amps on ebay and wonder if they are plug and pray or require some diagnostic equipment to tell the car something has changed?

Thanks
Thom
Hi - if you're so inclined, there are a host of L7 speaker and amp sets you can purchase on eBay (I was able to secure a full amp pair + 14 speaker set replacement for less than $300). The amps may function right away upon swap (they did on mine), but since they're used, you may need coding / diagnostics. It just depends.

For the price, it may be less expensive to try it out yourself and then go to your indy (or an equipped acquaintance) for the coding bit.

Also, if you've already done the visual inspection and replacement of the speakers, one approach you can do yourself might be to go to eng mode and look at your audio system status when the speakers act up. I can't vouch for the correlation on mine, but I did clear what errors I could see in here (proceed at your own risk!)

Even so, there is a host of good read-only information here when you look:

Old 09-21-2020, 08:07 AM

E350
Very cool. I will take a peak in this "Engineering Mode" looks really cool, even if a lot of it is read only.
Thanks
Thom