speaker POP noise from rear ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 SL550
speaker POP noise from rear ?

Hey everyone!
Hope you and your family are staying safe!

I ride W212 E400 4Matic 2015 and am having trouble with speaker pop noise. It does not come with the Harman Kardon. I don't think it comes with any amplifiers right?

I'm not sure if this is related to the COMAND.. I tried to talk to the service center but was told that they could try to reset it but it comes with the risk of damaging COMAND itself and they might not be able to recover it when it goes bad.

Has anyone had this pop noise issue? I have no idea where to look into!!

Old 09-08-2020, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
No amp. First step, have someone check for fault codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics) and confirm software is current. Following part #s should be compatible (2129000429 being current) if it diagnosed head unit needs replacement, need VIN to confirm. You can check EBay for used pricing if need be.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
install radio.pdf (394.7 KB, 35 views)
trim strip.pdf (439.7 KB, 36 views)
UCP.pdf (110.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 09-08-2020, 10:40 AM

'09 SL550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
No amp. First step, have someone check for fault codes using Xentry (MB diagnostics) and confirm software is current. Following part #s should be compatible (2129000429 being current) if it diagnosed head unit needs replacement, need VIN to confirm. You can check EBay for used pricing if need be.

thanks for the tip!! I really appreciate it.
My advisor ran the diagnostics but no fault code came out. But there still comes the pop noises.
should I look into the speaker replacement?
could it possibly be an issue with the COMAND itself?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
OK no fault codes but did they check for software update? Also, is noise isolated to one location or heard throughout?
Old 09-08-2020, 11:13 AM

'09 SL550
Originally Posted by konigstiger
OK no fault codes but did they check for software update? Also, is noise isolated to one location or heard throughout?
software is up to date, they said and also didn’t recommend the reset as it may mess up the COMAND for good and they won’t take the blame for it. (I don’t really get this part as it’s just a software reinstall. but they said they’ve seen COMAND dies during the update or reset)

the pop noise starts when I push the Engine start button. It pops from the right rear and then left rear pops. It feels like they pop as the current goes throu.

There is only one other issue with COMAND. Nothing serious tho. Bluetooth audio connection.
It connects to my iPhone but the volume won’t change. It works fine if I reconnect my phone. And it also goes through a hard time finding an Apple device if not previously connected.

Old 09-08-2020, 11:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Assume iPhone software is current. Rear speakers are the cause, questionable. Only suggestion I can offer is try replacing USB port (current part # 1728202000) need VIN to confirm. Check EBay used other than this hopefully someone who may have experienced same problem will comment on definitive remedy.